New - And fixed my slice today!

FIVE!

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,

New member from the Cincinnati area.

After battling a slice for 39 years, I finally corrected it today!

Quick background: My grandfather bought me a set of clubs and introduced me to the game when I was 10. He taught me how to swing the club. I could usually make good contact but have always had a tendency to slice or at the very least push everything right most of the time. I played on-and-off until about 10 years ago, when kids and career took over my life. Kids are grown now, so about a month ago my wife suggested we start playing again (yes!).

Now that I'm older, more obsessive about doing things well, and more analytical, I decided to find the reason for the slice. I knew by the diagonal scratch marks going across the heel of my clubs that I was leaving the club face open at impact and have been attempting to get it closed. I finally decided to seek professional help.

I found a pro that teaches at the practice range I use and went there today with the intention of signing up for lessons. I've been watching the videos on "meandmygolf" on youtube. Last night I ran across their videos on power lag that showed some drills on getting a good release. I tried the drills in my basement and thought "could this be it?".

When I got to the range I was told the instructor was there today, but was with a student at the moment. I bought a giant bucket of balls and went to an area where I'd be able to catch him when he finished with his student. After warming up and stretching, I decided to go straight for the driver. After a few practice swings, I stepped up and took an easy swing: "pow!", straight down the middle 225 yards! Was it repeatable? Again, and again, with even a few draws thrown in to boot. 3w and 5w same thing. Irons same thing.

Now I'm thinking "do I really need lessons?" I signed up for 5 lessons anyway figuring it can't hurt. I think this community can truly understand how excited I am about this development!

Congrats and welcome to THP!

Now I'm thinking "do I really need lessons?" I signed up for 5 lessons anyway figuring it can't hurt. I think this community can truly understand how excited I am about this development!

When the question is "do I need lessons", the answer is always "yes"...

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP! Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the slice will return. Or perhaps a hook. So, the lessons are a good thing.

Welcome to THP.
Lessons are always a good thing to help improve.

Welcome to THP!

Congrats, welcome to THP

Congrats on fixing the dreaded slice, I think lessons would still be very beneficial. :welcome:

Welcome and congrats on overcoming your slice!

that's awesome! Welcome to THP!

Back