Coming Friday...Either My Best or Worst Ever Round

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
Tomorrow (Thursday) evening I am getting on a plane in SW MO and flying to Ft Meyers, FL to visit my brother. He has lived there 4 years and this will be our first chance to get away for a weekend and go visit. Trying to keep the trip as cheap as possible since my wife and son are also going, so I will not be spending the money to put my own clubs on the plane or FedEx them down and back.

My teenage son will be using my sister in laws Adams Tight Lies womens set. My wife has the exact same set and they are very similar in specs to my sons teen set of clubs(similar enough for as little as he plays anyway).

We are going to get up early Friday morning and going to the golfcourse is the first order of business on the itinerary.

I will most likely be using a set of Ping rentals from the course we are playing. They assured me they have ample shaft options, but that all the clubs are standard LLL. That has me a bit nervous as I play +1" on all my irons/hybrids. The extra length has allowed me to keep better posture on full shots, whereas shorter irons had me hitting really really fat pretty regularly because I tended to compensate by crouching too much. I do occasionally choke up on my shorter irons to try to take off some distance or with longer irons to try to hit knockdown type shots but I wouldn't classify either of those situations as full swings.

I am also playing a course (Eastwood in Fort Meyers) that is nearly identical in yardage to my home course, but appears to have much much more bunkering, water, doglegs, etc. I am anxious as heck to play a course that doesn't make me feel like a distance wussy but offers such a challenge strategy wise compared to what I am used to.

I say it could either be my best ever or worst ever round due to not having my comfy clubs. A buddy of mine went to Cancun last year and said he played his rental clubs way better than he normally plays his own because he lowered his expectations and ended up playing more carefree, but he is used to standard LLL so it wasn't a drastic difference to him.

Can any of you guys offer me some advice on how to handle playing with shorter shafted clubs and not completely look like a ditch digger? I am hoping that I can set up a bit closer to the ball than normal for full swings and I'm thinking that if that doesn't work and I am struggling with full swings that I should just approach every shot like a choked short iron or a knockdown attempt...as in take one more club than normal, do a 3/4 backswing, etc etc.

Regardless, I plan on having a good weekend. Getting away from work for a couple days and hanging with my favorite sibling/my sons favorite uncle will be enough to make it a good weekend, but a decent round to start the weekend off would sure make it a much better time...hahahaha

As long as shortest club in the bag isn't shorter than your shortest club it really doesn't make much of a difference. It's not like you miss the ball completely when you go from a 7 iron to a SW.

Back