Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

I went and played 18 today with the CBs. To be honest, I thought my back was good to go for a round, but I was wrong.

I did start to get the feel for them today though near the end of the round. I had to adjust my ball position compared to my last irons and then I was hitting them decently. I have to say compared to my last set of irons (Amp Cells), they feel a lot better. The KBS Tour shaft has taken a little getting used to and my distances are so much different with the differences in loft, length and shaft weight but near the end of the round I was getting them dialed in a bit.

I let a couple other people hit them, and both had very positive feedback. One to the point that he kept asking me to use them. I think TM has sold another set to him because he was in love with them. I have to say that when I actually put a good swing on them, they come off the face very softly. It's been a while since I had a set of irons that when you make good contact, you neither feel nor hear the ball come off the clubface. Once I'm completely healed up and figure out my distances, I can see these staying in my bag for a long time.

Hang in there, Bullitt! You need to find you a masseuse to give you an adjustment pre-round and you'll be good to go!

Had a good range session today, I'm pretty set in my thoughts now that when I get the specs right these should be able to make the bag for me, that's a big change from where I was mentally just this weekend, ask Ddec.

Had a good range session today, I'm pretty set in my thoughts now that when I get the specs right these should be able to make the bag for me, that's a big change from where I was mentally just this weekend, ask Ddec.

Glad to hear this. After another goldstone session and finding a better shaft I think I am leaning towards these as well

KG

Just Tapping Away

Dude, we're all different, but I just don't see any benefits from a combo set in this line. When the TM guys aren't doing it, I know I don't need to.

Isn't Rose using a CB/MC combo right now? I was certain that I saw a photo of his bag with CBs and MCs.

isn't rose using a cb/mc combo right now? I was certain that i saw a photo of his bag with cbs and mcs.

cb 3-5, mc 6-9, mb pw.

Isn't Rose using a CB/MC combo right now? I was certain that I saw a photo of his bag with CBs and MCs.

I was speaking on the TM guys we played with this past week at the event. Heck, TM Tomo is a +2 and played straight MC's.

I was speaking on the TM guys we played with this past week at the event. Heck, TM Tomo is a +2 and played straight MC's.

Oh. I understand.

I could see a straight set of MCs, and I could frankly see a straight set of the CBs. The combo is an interesting idea though.

The CBs are no slouch. They feel really nice, and they fly nice and straight. I noticed very little movement when I tried these.

The most noticeable thing for me was that the CBs flew higher. The MCs had a nice, piercing/ascending flight.

Oh. I understand.

I could see a straight set of MCs, and I could frankly see a straight set of the CBs. The combo is an interesting idea though.

The CBs are no slouch. They feel really nice, and they fly nice and straight. I noticed very little movement when I tried these.

The most noticeable thing for me was that the CBs flew higher. The MCs had a nice, piercing/ascending flight.
Great feedback dude! I can't wait to get a chance to compare these sets head to head. We've got some fun decisions to make at TMaG staffers!!!

Reading through here has me interested. Definitely going to check these out vs the i25's, come mid April. Between now and then I just need to find somewhere to get my swing on for a bit. I bet it's ridiculously rusty right about now.

Anybody hit these AND the i25's? Personal thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was able to finally play my first round with the new Tour Preferred CB irons since returning from the Ultimate Testing Weekend. It had been 7 days since I’d even been able to touch a club due to the weather. In the two rounds at Mission Inn, I had pretty much convinced myself that I hit these irons fairly solidly, but just shorter than my previous irons, perhaps even a full club shorter. I was anxious to play them on my home course where I’m much more familiar with distances and, hence, could get a much better comparison to my normal lengths. Conditions were not ideal for testing. After a freeze/frost delay we teed off in sub-40 degree temps which ultimately reached about 50. At the end of the day, I have to say I was more than a little bit surprised, and confused.

The tone for the round was set for me on the first hole. After a good drive, I had 155 yards to an elevated green. I had planned to club up with these today because of my perceived shortness with them. But, here I decided to just hit what I'd normally hit, a six iron, and just see how short I'd be. My shot was dead straight at the pin, landed right next to it and rolled to the back of the green. (Greens still a little frozen). 3-putted for bogey (uncut, sloooww greens). But I wasn't short at all with the six iron.

For the rest of the day, I just pulled the club that I would normally hit for the distance and was hitting them as far as my previous irons and quite a bit more accurately. On the front, I hit 7 of 9 greens and shot 37 thanks to that 3-putt on #1. I slightly missed one green with an 8 iron when I got too greedy to a front, right pin and missed it right, and I bladed another 8 iron into a front trap on a par 3, and blasted to gimmie range.

On the back nine my putter went sour and I shot a 42 for a 79. Under today's conditions, I was tickled with that. I did miss 3 shots on the back with the irons, two six irons off the toe, and one fatted 7 irion.

So, I'm a little confused. This was only my 3rd round with the CBs and by far my best. The difference between this round and the two in Florida was basically my swing. After I came up short a few times early in the weekend down there, I started pressing, I think, and over-swinging in an attempt to make up for my shortness. I had convinced myself that they were shorter and was trying to compensate. Today I was relaxed, had great tempo and hit these irons as well as any I’ve hit in the past.

I still think that the Tour 90 shafts would benefit me greatly, and my playing partners noted that the toe of my irons was pointing up at address, which suggests I need a lie adjustment. But, all in all, today it was quite enjoyable playing these CBs.

He actually had a few long iron CBs in his set, I do believe. 3/4i I do believe.

He actually had a few long iron CBs in his set, I do believe. 3/4i I do believe.

He did actually, he really liked he launch better in the MC and CB's vs the MB's. He said he was a 3 capper and has a swing to die for doesn't he?

He did actually, he really liked he launch better in the MC and CB's vs the MB's. He said he was a 3 capper and has a swing to die for doesn't he?
No doubt, trout.

Talking with him during that round really made me rethink decisions I make when deciding on what clubs I put in the bag.

Nice write-up v.man, sounds like you got into a good groove with the swing today. Every time I read another write-up on these I want them more and more.

No doubt, trout.

Talking with him during that round really made me rethink decisions I make when deciding on what clubs I put in the bag.

Such as...

Also, dang it -- now I'm really pondering the CB/MC combo. Both irons felt really nice. I really liked the flight on the MCs more, but I think the generally higher flight on the CBs would help with the longer irons.

Also, I should totally expect my ball in real life to fly like the video on the LM sim, right? Right?

I was able to finally play my first round with the new Tour Preferred CB irons since returning from the Ultimate Testing Weekend. It had been 7 days since I’d even been able to touch a club due to the weather. In the two rounds at Mission Inn, I had pretty much convinced myself that I hit these irons fairly solidly, but just shorter than my previous irons, perhaps even a full club shorter. I was anxious to play them on my home course where I’m much more familiar with distances and, hence, could get a much better comparison to my normal lengths. Conditions were not ideal for testing. After a freeze/frost delay we teed off in sub-40 degree temps which ultimately reached about 50. At the end of the day, I have to say I was more than a little bit surprised, and confused.

The tone for the round was set for me on the first hole. After a good drive, I had 155 yards to an elevated green. I had planned to club up with these today because of my perceived shortness with them. But, here I decided to just hit what I'd normally hit, a six iron, and just see how short I'd be. My shot was dead straight at the pin, landed right next to it and rolled to the back of the green. (Greens still a little frozen). 3-putted for bogey (uncut, sloooww greens). But I wasn't short at all with the six iron.

For the rest of the day, I just pulled the club that I would normally hit for the distance and was hitting them as far as my previous irons and quite a bit more accurately. On the front, I hit 7 of 9 greens and shot 37 thanks to that 3-putt on #1. I slightly missed one green with an 8 iron when I got too greedy to a front, right pin and missed it right, and I bladed another 8 iron into a front trap on a par 3, and blasted to gimmie range.

On the back nine my putter went sour and I shot a 42 for a 79. Under today's conditions, I was tickled with that. I did miss 3 shots on the back with the irons, two six irons off the toe, and one fatted 7 irion.

So, I'm a little confused. This was only my 3rd round with the CBs and by far my best. The difference between this round and the two in Florida was basically my swing. After I came up short a few times early in the weekend down there, I started pressing, I think, and over-swinging in an attempt to make up for my shortness. I had convinced myself that they were shorter and was trying to compensate. Today I was relaxed, had great tempo and hit these irons as well as any I’ve hit in the past.

I still think that the Tour 90 shafts would benefit me greatly, and my playing partners noted that the toe of my irons was pointing up at address, which suggests I need a lie adjustment. But, all in all, today it was quite enjoyable playing these CBs.

Great review v.man. I hit these with the Tour 90s earlier this week and was blown away.

KG

Just Tapping Away

Heck of a round. And yes I agree on the tour 90 sentiment...or maybe even some graphite if available....get ya a few extra yards perhaps

Such as...

Also, dang it -- now I'm really pondering the CB/MC combo. Both irons felt really nice. I really liked the flight on the MCs more, but I think the generally higher flight on the CBs would help with the longer irons.

Also, I should totally expect my ball in real life to fly like the video on the LM sim, right? Right?

I wanted to force myself in to the MCs, because thats what I wanted to play. However, after hearing the TM guys talk about why each set was designed they way they were, I quickly realized that the CBs are what I needed (launch, ball speed, etc).

I wanted to force myself in to the MCs, because thats what I wanted to play. However, after hearing the TM guys talk about why each set was designed they way they were, I quickly realized that the CBs are what I needed (launch, ball speed, etc).

Imagine them with the right shaft too

#lethal

I hit these clubs about two weeks ago when the rep stopped by. I am not a Taylormade fan and haven't really been impressed with the product the past two years. But they really stepped up their game in my opinion with these iron sets. All of them feel and look great at address even the CB, which has seemed to slim down from their previous TP CB. If I was in the market I would definitely be considering Taylormade's Tour Preferred line as an iron option.

You know, I was thinking on the course yesterday, as much as I'm coming around to these and enjoying them...why should I not just go Speedblades? Sure, smaller profile in these so they look better to me aesthetically and they are def more forgiving than the MC's, but still...this is my ponderance right now.

I didn't feel like I gave much up between the two sets James. Maybe a little, but it wasn't a huge divide to me.

I have very little interaction with both the CBs and the Speedblades. But, I found a huge difference between the two.

The Speedblades are just crazy long. So long to the point that there could be overlap between a Speedblade 4i and a 5W or hybrid. At the same time, I would be really concerned about a gap at the bottom of my bag. It would not shock me to see a 20-30 yard gap between a Speedblade AW and a 54* wedge. That's huge.

The CBs are not as long, but they are still pretty long. Gaps seem much more reasonable, and the CBs feel much, much better to me.

Back