IMHO the 2 biggest mistakes by beginners is incorrect alignment and trying to hit "hero" shots.

A buddy told me the other day that the two biggest mistakes beginning golfers make are: 1) taking the driver out of the bag too often and 2) over-analyzing putts.

Do you agree?

I really do believe this game is 90% mental. When I look back after a round and analyze my bad shots, it's typically due to over-swinging, rushing, not managing the course, nerves, pressure, etc.

What examples can you think of where a mental mistake really cost you a hole (or maybe a round!)?

I know they say to forget the last shot and focus on the next shot, but wow is that tough to do sometimes!!
Actually, must amateurs under read the break sow I have to disagree with that somewhat. And if an amateur has good control with the driver, why not hit it often and be closer to the green?

Nah, the biggest mistake beginners make is the uncontrollable slice. Apart from that though, I think they lose a load of shots through not being able to safely advance the ball off the tee. If you can't pound a driver or at least hit an iron into the fairway, then you've really got your work cut out and you're playing catch up.

Is it possible, the beginners make all the mistakes listed, I think so,

After discussions with a couple of teaching pros, I have mae some changes. I don't always take a practice swing now. Why would I . I never adjust anything. I get my grip, adjust my alignment and hit the ball. Over thinking and trying to make small adjustments often results in doing what I was trying to avoid. I do that stuff on the range. As far as putting, I had sunk more two breaker putts from 15+ feet by just trying to get it close than I ever have trying to read all the grains and such. For me, I have to keep it simple. But maybe that attitude is why I have not broken 80 yet?

If we're talking about real beginners, the best advice I could give would be to forget about score (in fact don't even keep score) the first few times you play, and concentrate on hitting the ball, and enjoying the golf course.

If we're talking about real beginners, the best advice I could give would be to forget about score (in fact don't even keep score) the first few times you play, and concentrate on hitting the ball, and enjoying the golf course.

Not just beginners. I had a few rough rounds recently that I allowed to affect my enjoyment of the game. I played yesterday evening and decided to walk (stroll), without worrying about score. It was therapeutic and I played well and had a great time. Back to loving the game.

I recently read "Every Shot Counts" which is an in-depth statistical look at golf.

A quick summary of it is:
1) Putting doesn't count as much as you think - all shots are important
2) Too much conservatism doesn't always pay off

The data this book presented has caused me to modify my approach somewhat. The book basically advocates you pick a conservative target and then swing aggressively to it. The better golfer you are, the less conservative your target need to be.

Thanks so much for sharing this concept. I went to the range tonight and it really clicked. Hopefully I can keep this going.

Back