Golf Theme Suggestions - Please

Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
Right. Here’s my situation. I am getting married the end of September this year, the weekend of the Ryder Cup (Well done me….great planning there….D’oh).

So we have decided to go with a Golf theme for the reception after the ceremony. So far, as part of the table plan, we are naming the tables the names of the each hole on the course.

I have ordered logo golf balls, with the names, date etc, & chocolate golf balls as treats for each table.

Here is where you folk come in. Have you any suggestions for something else we could incorporate into the golf theme, within reason.

One of my friends suggested a crazy-golf course set up on the garden outside the castle…mmm…not too sure, it could get very messy later on!!! I was half thinking of a few cheap putting greens and set up a contest between the Ladies V Gents…W.I.P.

I would appreciate any input for any ideas from you guys. Many Thanks in advance

I like the putting green idea. What about a replica type Claret Jug for the main toast. Maybe a tribute to Payne Stewart and have the guys wear knickers.

I've been to events that had rented a golf simulator and did a long drive contest. I don't know if rentals are available in your area but that would be fun.

I'd like to know how you talked your fiance into this idea. Is she a golfer?

We had our reception on a golf course. Plenty of golf-themed photos. Table numbers were golf flags. Placecards were held up by golf tees that were in 2 3x3 boxes that had fresh pieces of sod in them.

I second the check with the wife before making a golf theme wedding part haha.

My better half is cool with the idea, only because it's the Ryder Cup.

Have the Groomsmen dress up in USA garb and have the bridal party wear European garb. Instant rivalry.

I was in a wedding where instead of clinking your glass to get them to kiss you had to sink like a 10 foot putt on a small putting green inside. They had the wedding party do it while everyone watched before dinner. I made it on the first try :D

Guests should have to Wear either USA or Eur Colors to show their support.

Agreed on the Putting green and Simulator if available.

Flagpoles could be the center pieces.

I went to a friend's wedding that had a putting green. It was pretty cool and a big hit with the guests.

I would just say watch out for over doing ANY theme. It can get from cute to cheesy REALLY quick.

When you move in for the kiss, back off due to camera clicks.

Tiger woods bobble heads in each table and play the theme to feherty

On thing I did is that when I went to take off my wife's garter I had some balls and tees in my hands so as I was "searching" for the belt I would pull out a tee & golf balls. That's drew a pretty big laugh.

On thing I did is that when I went to take off my wife's garter I had some balls and tees in my hands so as I was "searching" for the belt I would pull out a tee & golf balls. That's drew a pretty big laugh.

Found your ball in the rough eh?

I would just say watch out for over doing ANY theme. It can get from cute to cheesy REALLY quick.

This x1000. Theme won't make sense for those that aren't golfers.

I think you definitely need a golf cart to bring the bridal party in.

I would definitely get some of those little flags they use on practice greens for table markers.

How bout a giant scoreboard with names and tables rather than the traditional folded paper with your name on it.

Instead if tapping glasses for kisses they need to blow an airhorn like you would do for lightning in the area.

Wait staff needs to wear all white jump suits like the caddies do at the open.

An last but not least - your wife has to chase you and beat you with a 7i.

Thanks folks for your ideas...keep them coming. I agree with the cheesy factor. I sourced a replica Brass Ryder Cup from the UK. Looks class. Could get the plinth engraved with our names & date. Guess what I'll be using for the toast!! I was thinking of mini flags.

I can appreciate the idea but truthfully (as mentioned) it can get kind of cheesy if not done right. Not much around golf wise to me that would make for very attractive table center pieces for a wedding and still look feminine enough for the Mrs to be and also the female guests. The only thing I believe I ever seen in pictures was giant size (like 2 to 3 feet tall) tee on each table with a big white ball of flowers set on top resembling a golf ball but that wasn't really a wedding type of piece.

Not trying to bust your bubble at all but I'm just not seeing it unless the florist can get very creative to satisfy the whole look of it they may be able to come up with a good one for the occasion. I was married on Halloween day back in 93. We had large ceramic pumpkins set atop a glass stand with a great and large arrangement of flowers rising up out if it on each table and each was also surrounded (lower on the table by breakaway vases with silk flowers and they then were the party favors as well with one person getting (or winning) the main large piece. Not trying to get all mushy marshy on you but they were awesome looking for the wedding which was a formal affair. Everyone loved them. Point is I thought it may have been cheesy (for a non costume formal affair) but the way the florist did it, it was very classy looking and to just try to help you with an idea, talk to your florist together with the future wife you may be very surprised what the florist comes up with. Good luck!

P.S. We also had a large ice sculpture at the center of our cocktail hour which was a giant size (Halloween type) cat and moon piece. Again was just an awesome piece of art that the guests were pretty amazed with. Too bad it of course eventually melted lol. Perhaps an ice piece is another way to go too. But anyway people (like a good florist or artist) who are crafty and very gifted at their profession may certainly surprise you with great and also proper fitting ideas for the occasion. And BTW it poured rain and good amount of thunder lightening most all night that Halloween night. So mother nature even fittingly got in on our celebration.lol Sorry for long post but just trying to give you ideas.

Last edited:
Back