GPS gadgets and systems... which set up?

canucklehead

Reaction score
Handicap
15-20
I've been golfing with several folks that use sighting types of range finders, or GPS set ups. My brother just got a Bushnell Neo XS and that was pretty cool. I can generally pace from yardage markers and get a rough idea, but when I spray wide (which is often), it'd be really nice to get a read on my yardage. I've tried the sighting gadgets but can't seem to get a very good lock. I really like the GPS styles that tell you how far to green.

When you spray way off line, into other fairway, will the GPS set ups still tell you how far you are to the hole?

Can I just get some sort of GPS app for my Droid (MotoX or Samsung Galaxy) that will work the same as a gadget? OR...do I have to buy a gadget?

IF I get an APP, I don't mind paying the $10 or $20, but do I also have to pay a fee for all the different courses I play, plus annual maintenance fees, etc...?

Some of the gadgets (like my bro's NeoX) have thousands of North Amercian courses entered already. Other gadgets, I'm not sure how you go about selecting the course you're on.

Sorry, these are probably simple questions but I'm lost on this one. Thanks for your good advice and help. I'm not a super-pro and getting a good idea on my yardage is good enough, since I never really know how well I'll contact my next shot.

Golf buddy voice, clips to hat tells front middle and back.. It's perfect and can be had for 80 bucks. No need for much else.. I have had lasers, and full gps that showed everything.. Really don't need that much info and just slows the game

An app like swing by swing or golfshot for your phone will give you yardages regardless of how far off line you are. They work well for distances and also track all kinds of statistics about your game. They are also the most cost effective of the options you mentioned. Many of them have free versions with a fee for the full featured versions. You don't pay extra to load additional courses.

I would say if you play the same courses then just get something with distances; but if you like to play new courses then the app where you can measure how long it is to clear certain hazards is a pretty big deal.

I use Garmin watch for yard ages and bushnell v2 for yardage to pin. I can use the watch when I'm offline to get yardages to front, middle, back. I have used golflogix on my phone and am going to try out golf shot tomorrow.

thanks. I play several courses, and not the same one all the time. Knowing distances to hazards, etc... would be a bonus. I don't need to track my statistics, such as putting, greens in regulation, etc... I know I need to improve pretty much all areas to score better, so a gadget re-iterating that won't help me :). It's like someone telling you, "Hey, you missed that 3 foot putt." Reply: "Thanks, I know that!"!! And since I have zero free time to go out and practice chipping, driving, etc..., I just have to accept I am what I am when I play. Although I've had several rounds in the 80s this year, which is a bit better than my typical 90s to 100.

I'm a bit technologically challenged.... so with phone app...I download an app on my droid, show up at the course, the app will walk me through entering the course info, and then the app will walk me through hole-by-hole from there? The same as a GPS gadget? Show me distance to hazards, etc..? Why would anyone buy the gadgets if the phone app does the same thing? Is it a one-time payment for the app, or course by course/user fee, annual fees? The app sounds too good to be true!

Skydroid is a $1.99 app that gives F/C/B distances and also to and carry distances to greenside bunkers already mapped. You can also get a distance to any point on the hole by holding your finger at that spot for a few seconds. There are no charges for any courses and no "in app" purchases available nor necessary. Also, by tapping on the satellite icon it tells you what the accuracy is at that particular point and time.

Yes, you would be able to get an idea of how far to and how far to carry hazards. Keep in mind that given one is marking those spots with one's finger they are not going to be "pinpoint accurate".

I had fun using a gps for the first time. I also had fun going back to not using one. I don't think the software ever meets expectations, so it just comes down to yardages and ease of use. The ones with auto-advance are neat because if you haven't checked a yardage for a few holes you don't have to push a bunch of buttons to get to it.

Phones software seems neat too. You don't have to remember to charge your phone and it's already something you carry. GolfLogix app is kinda neat and lets you play quite a bit before you have to pay anything.

I've got a Garmin watch. It's excellent and simple to use. With a quick glace at the wrist you get back-middle-front yardages and it moves from hole to hole with you. Thousands of courses already loaded, no need to update. To me, a watch is simple and doesn't get in the way or have to be dug out of a pocket or bag.

the watch is what started this latest OCD for me. My bro just got one for his b'day and we used it yesterday. At least half my golf pals have some sort of GPS. They'll tell me green yardages (F M B), and how far to water.

Is the app any more or less reliable than the gadget for telling distances to hazards, how far to carry, etc..? I assume they'll all be pretty close on telling you pins/greens.

AND...the day I'm ever hitting pinpoint to within 5 yards of what I think...then I'll probably be getting paid and my caddy will tell me!! Right now the thin hits, fat hits and crisp hits are all part of the regular game repertoire. Everything is based on the hypothetical chance I'll actually strike the ball perfect and get the distance I think (it does happen sometimes.....honest!!).

I especially chuckle at inside 100 yards, for which I have no full swing club. I either see and feel it or I don't. Doesn't matter what you tell me the yardage is at that point.

I love my Garmin G6 and it pairs well with my Bushnell V3. The G6 seems like its what you are looking for as it gives good yardages, you can measure each shot, and save them for an average. It's a great gps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPS gadgets and systems... which set up?

In general, I've gone primarily to laser. Gives me accurate distances to the pin and how far out other golfers are and any other objects I may be targeting or avoiding.

I also load up a course in Golfshot or FunGolf GPS to give the 1-2 holes that I need to know the end of the fairway distances.

Too much tech tends to distract on the course for me. The laser is quick. Only use the GPS app when required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use GolfLogix app - purchased the champion package, or something like that. It gives me all the info I need, and has a ton of courses loaded into it already. Tracks stats and distances w clubs (which I don't use), and has a nice free app too. That, in combo w my range finder, is perfect from every situation I have come across in the last 3-4 months.

I have about 4-5 of these apps mentioned above on my phone and find myself never using them when I do play. Finding it's too much to deal with while playing.

I have the "old" Bushnell Neo X, GPS golf watch. I was using it this weekend while golfing with a buddy that uses a laser. He and I were always either exactly or within one yard of each other in most cases. Pair that with the GPS on the cart, that was supposed to be exact to the pin, so for what it's worth and all. You might be able to find a Neo X a little cheaper and save a little money. I like mine!

thanks all. I might start with a phone APP and see what I think. It costs virtually nothing, and if i find I like it, I can always look at upgrading to gadgets. I'm not looking to measure my distances or track my shots, I just want to know distances for club selection.

I can pace yardages to get a rough idea when I'm in fairway, the sprayed wide shots are much more difficult to read distance. And new courses with unfamiliar hazards; it's nice to know beforehand how far away they are, whether I should lay up or go for it. Nothing worse than hitting the ball sweet and then discovering the unkown hazard on a course you've never (or rarely) played.

I started with golflogix and it's okay. I use it for tracking stats, handicap, and for looking at the hole layout on unfamair courses. With an iPhone, if you leave the app up running it will really drain your batter. And sometimes it just has issues connecting with the satellites for yardage and has to be restarted.

I now also use the older Neo-X watch and love it. Sometimes it will skip to other holes based on your location, but it won't do that on errant shots if you tell it to measure the shot. And if you are not measuring the shot and it automatically skips holes because you landed on another fairway, you can manually cycle it back to the correct hole.

I still would like a range finder though. The watch tells you front, center, and back distances to the green. It does not account for current pin position. So there are times were I make a good shot but end up 10-20 yards past the pin on a 30 yard green because it was a front pin position.

I don't know if it's on Droid but I HIGHLY reccommend Tour Caddie app. For $30 a year you get aerial images of holes, simulated flyovers, you can move a pinpoint to get yardages you want. You can input your clubs and yardages and the app makes reccommendations for you, there is even a risky/safe setting for your style of play. You can track yardages actually hit. The app will suggest what to hit off the tee and tell you what yardage will be left. You can calculate layup by leave yardage. It really is a great app and has always been within 1-2 yards of my buddies lasers. The only caution is it can take a second or two to finally arrive at the yardage. But I use it all the time and love it.

I have a Bushnell watch. I really like it because a quick glance tells me my yardage and I can focus on my swing rather than do some calculations like " the 150 marker is there and I'm 20 yards over here and the hazard is there..".

I see a few Skycaddies for sale locally. they look kinda cool giving you a pic of the hole , distances to hazards, etc.. Do you need to buy subscription for them? Any other wrinkles I should know about them?

I see a few Skycaddies for sale locally. they look kinda cool giving you a pic of the hole , distances to hazards, etc.. Do you need to buy subscription for them? Any other wrinkles I should know about them?

Yup. $20-45 per year depending on level/term/device type.

And there's serious doubts whether someone will actually walk each course they map.

I'd recommend trying a free app or 2 on your smartphone first and see if you want a dedicated device for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Sonocaddie Android app. It has the best looking screen for my old eyes, you can point on the screen and get a distance to any spot, also has a satellite view and scorecard. I think it was around $30 (have used it for over two years now) but you have access to just about every course in the US (but can only have about 20 at a time on your device) and there's no other fee.

I use an Approach G6 GPS and a Bushnell Tour V2 for exact pin yardages. Do I need both? Most certainly no, but it's nice to have distances to traps, hazards etc., as well as front, back and pin yardages. GPS is a boon on new courses with blind tee shots.

Back