GPS gadgets and systems... which set up?

great advice.... I'll stick with an APP and see what I think. Lots of excellent feedback and advice. Thanks ALL!!

I see a few Skycaddies for sale locally. they look kinda cool giving you a pic of the hole , distances to hazards, etc.. Do you need to buy subscription for them? Any other wrinkles I should know about them?

Yup. $20-45 per year depending on level/term/device type.

And there's serious doubts whether someone will actually walk each course they map.

I'd recommend trying a free app or 2 on your smartphone first and see if you want a dedicated device for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Skycaddie SG2.....it's an older model,but it,s dead on on all the courses I've used it on.it runs me $30/yr......I will upgrade to cover courses in other states. Can't speak for phone apps,as I don't have data plans...talk only......For the ease of operation, I like my SG2 ......

I started out with the app. Maybe it is just me, but I hated the fact that the app ate up the battery life on my Smartphone. I didn't like coming off of the course to a dead battery and then needing to start my "real" life without any battery power. I also wear two gloves when I play, which doesn't always work with a smart phone.

I tried the Callaway UPro, but it didn't really have the courses that I typically play. It wasn't worth it to me to pay extra for more courses.

I then switched to the Garmin G3 and that's been perfect. It has every single course that I've played. It does everything that I need it to do (distance, hazards, hole overview), and does so accurately and quickly. It works off of rechargable AAs, which is key because I have some spare batteries that I bring along just in case, but couldn't do that that with something that only charged from the wall or USB. Finally, it doesn't have any features that I don't need, which the G5 and G6 do.

I purchased a holder and attached it on the left handle of my Clic Gear, which has made this even better. I can slide the G3 on and off easily so it stores in my bag, but when I walk I just slide it in the holster, power it up and go. I walk up to the ball immediately knowing the situation just by looking down. Most of the time, my playing partners don't even realize I have a GPS.

I also think this speeds up play. It takes the guesswork out, particularly when playing on a new course.

I like the idea of rechargeable AAs. How many holes does the G3 get on a fresh set of rechargeables?

I see the Approach claims 15 hours, does that seem close to what you get?

I like the idea of rechargeable AAs. How many holes does the G3 get on a fresh set of rechargeables?

I see the Approach claims 15 hours, does that seem close to what you get?

I always get a full round without any issue. I've gotten a couple back to back before. I charge the night before and it's never been an issue.

It probably goes longer on non-rechargable AAs, but I've never really tried. Rechargables are better for my lifestyle, cheaper in the long run, and I tell myself they are better for the planet. :)

It sounds dumb, but the rechargable AAs and the fact that the G3 has all the courses pre-loaded without a yearly fee makes it a no-brainer for me. The Garmin line is pretty much the only GPS models I would use.

I have a garmin 6 and I like it alot. You can move a cursor to get distance to lay ups & move the pin around the green for closer readings. Plus you can keep score for up to 4 players. I also like a lazer range finder but I can't hold em stay enough.
Here's I'd where I'll catch crap. But I find folks using apps are slow. Turning em on & off, waiting for readings, plus doing stats between tee & green...oh also add screens are harder to read than a dedicated gps

Question for those of you with a GPS watch and smart phone. Do you get any benefit from using the watch over the phone or the phone over the watch? I have the Golfshot App which can be really neat especially when you hit a good drive and you turn the shot tracker on. However in many cases it becomes a headache to keep reaching for the phone. I have been looking at either a Bushnell Laser or Garmin Approach but if neither one will make a big difference over the phone then I can save that 200+ dollars. Thanks in advance for any all the great responses.

I use swing by swing between my S4 and Gear 2.... Love it! Walk up to the ball... check watch for distance...Aim and Fire. Accurate, quick and easy!

Just picked up a Golf Buddy WT3 a couple weeks ago and have loved using it. Great to walk up to the ball, look at the watch, and know the yardage. Glad I got it.

Question for those of you with a GPS watch and smart phone. Do you get any benefit from using the watch over the phone or the phone over the watch? I have the Golfshot App which can be really neat especially when you hit a good drive and you turn the shot tracker on. However in many cases it becomes a headache to keep reaching for the phone. I have been looking at either a Bushnell Laser or Garmin Approach but if neither one will make a big difference over the phone then I can save that 200+ dollars. Thanks in advance for any all the great responses.

One of my playing partners uses the watch. The biggest down side when compared to the stand alone G3/G5/etc. is that you don't get information about the hole lay out or distance to or over the hazards. Maybe the newer watches do this, but the last time I checked that wasn't the case. The other down side is that some of the watches are really flaky with respect to charging. Those two things are what keeps me in the G3 and not with a watch.

I do love the portability, light "weight" solution and the fact that it is always at the ready. I solved the same problem though with my $12 mounting kit on my Clic Gear for my G3.

Otherwise, the watches are way faster than any Smartphone application and actually speed up play, not slow it down. There's nothing worse than seeing someone messing around with the smart phone and then completely duff the shot.

I'm a huge fan of the solutions that are super quick and that can be "hidden." Golf should be walk up, hit, and walk to the next ball.

Finally, I would state that I go to the golf course to get away from my phone. When I'm playing, that phone is on silent and in the bag. I wouldn't want any part of my game that actually encouraged me to mess with the phone, and thus have work and other life "issues" creep into my relaxation time.

Finally, I would state that I go to the golf course to get away from my phone. When I'm playing, that phone is on silent and in the bag. I wouldn't want any part of my game that actually encouraged me to mess with the phone, and thus have work and other life "issues" creep into my relaxation time.

Very important factor!

I am in the category of trying to get to my ball and hit as well. Not get to my ball, look, practice swing, envision, look, practice swing, change clubs, look, envision swing and a miss. Hopefully I will find something that works well for me.

Back