Golf Balls and High Handicapper

Fairband It the nail on the head. Just pick a decent cheaper ball like the pinnacle gold, nike mojo, wilson zip and play that ball exclusively. That way you will get used to how that ball preforms and your scores will start to drop. Then as you improve you can mix in better balls and you will be able to tell how they compare to a known quantity.
At a 36 handicap I would not waste money on expensive balls as they will disappear way to fast.

I would definately agree with the Wilson Staff Duo's. Great ball that I played for awhile. Played Nike Vapor Blacks and Bridgestone E6's, really enjoyed those as well. Good luck with the search.

IMO, the ball doesnt really matter to the high handicapper. Buy whatever you can get cheapest and stay away from any balls in the $40+ a dozen range.

I watched Cookie shoot 80 at Caledonia last week with the Lady Precepts....great ball for slower swing speeds.

The E6 is great, Qstar, Topflite Gamer, and many others that have been mentioned.,..but as others have said, I would pick one and stick with it..that way you learn how the ball will react off the club.

And I saw some talk about "Lake Balls".....I HATE that concept....everytime you pull a "Lake ball" out, you are mentally telling yourself that you expect to hit it in the water...just pick a good cheap ball and stick to it.

I've played all sorts and types of balls. I prefer a tour style ball as I seem to play better for some reason. However not sure what most feel here about Nike Mojo's but they are my go to cheap ball if I am having a bad round and hit anything right. 2 dozen for $20 or so. I can lose them just as easily as a 4$ golf ball. :)

I think I'll base my choice on price and color, I'd like something orange or yellow to help me find it. :) I'll also try to find one ball to stick with so I can get used to it.

Ended up getting the Wilson Duos and really liked them. They seem long to me. Put them into play on the back 9 of my round today and they were definitely longer than what i was using on the front. Still plan on getting some lady precepts to try and share with the wife.

I think I'll base my choice on price and color, I'd like something orange or yellow to help me find it. :) I'll also try to find one ball to stick with so I can get used to it.

The Duos, q-stars, and lady precepts all come in yellow! The e6 does as well.

I've played all sorts and types of balls. I prefer a tour style ball as I seem to play better for some reason. However not sure what most feel here about Nike Mojo's but they are my go to cheap ball if I am having a bad round and hit anything right. 2 dozen for $20 or so. I can lose them just as easily as a 4$ golf ball. :)

How you tried the chromes yet?

I know when I started out for the first year I would get side spin off the driver with tour balls. (Never from a Pro V 1 though, which is interesting) So I would rarely use them

Now that I regularly play a few times a week, and I'm getting more consistent I don't have any problems with any balls and side spin. I know when I play a NXT Tour, Penta 3, Bridgestone RX I gain 7-10 yards in Distance then a Pro V 1, Lethal..ect but I'm a very aggressive short game player and re-lie on that more then my driver/iron game so I really like a ball that I can stop at the pin which the tours can do a little better for me.

Have you thought about the Srixon Soft Feel? Noodle is also a decent ball for starting out.

I have 2 that I really like. The Pinnacle Golds and are a nice cheap ball. Here they're like $16 for 15 balls. What I really like are the Bridgestone e6's. The 2011 model are around $20-21. I've had issues in the past with slicing and this ball pretty keeps it in check if I start to get fatigued. My new plan is start with the Pinnacles for the first 9 holes and then switch up to the e6's after that. Or if I'm on a tight fairways. Then again the e6's.

For me the love affair with the e6's started earlier this year when I found one a course I was playing on. I just loved the way it played. I was able to hold onto it for the last 5 holes and I found myself always on the fairway or close to it. Since then I've been playing them.

Well let me start off by saying balls do make a difference. I really enjoy a ball that feels soft off the putter blade. That's where you save em' strokes. A softer feel ball like Srixon Soft Feel or Srixon Q Star are both great balls for the price and performance. I feel like I have more control too with a softer feeling ball. However,lately I've been playing the Nike PD Long and it has a much harder feel (they do have a PD Soft as well) which isn't to bad that has minimal spin off the driver and irons. My shots are a high trajectory so spin isn't that big of an issue on my approach shots as they do not roll out to bad. Chipping is a different story however. They will roll out more than I like, so I have to compensate for that when making the shot. Others have stated some really nice choices to go with. E6 isn't a favorite of mine, but I think the Bridgestone xxFIXxx is a very solid ball.

Dont get caught up in all the hype of balls if your just starting to play and/or a high handicapper. Invest your money in Lessons more so than balls. Then ball choice wont be such an issue. The game is fun staying in the short grass. Good luck to you in your game.

I'm a pretty-much permanent high handicapper, who's hit all manner of golf balls. I keep coming back to Top Flite Gamers for the cost and reduced side spin off the tee. The Bridgestone xFIXx is another good ball that won't kill your wallet.

I like the Gamers also for the price.

Anyone have a used ball site they recommend? I know lots of ebay sellers doing the pond balls. Some better than others?

I played Laddie X Precepts for most of my high-handicap career. A solid ball at an amazing price ($20 for 24) While I'm still not a low-handicapper, I've improved my game to where I do think I can benefit from a Urethane ball, so I'm playing Callaway Hex Chromes now.

I picked up a dozen Q Stars in yellow from my local shop. They were only 20 bucks and came with a free hat. I should have known it wouldn't for my huge melon right, though. :)

Back