I can't hit my woods....

Brent

Reaction score
Handicap
22 ish
First off, I have no interest in taking lessons. I am a weekend golfer and enjoy the challenge of getting better on my own with advice from people I play with, YouTube Videos, and these awesome forums. I have gone from shooting in the 120s two years ago, to consistently shooting in the 90s this summer.

Now for my problem, I cannot hit my woods. I have completely removed the driver from my bag, but I am still struggling to hit my 3 wood consistently off the tee. Snap hooks, slices, and all around poor strikes are a constant. I would guess I hit my wedges/irons/hybrids "good" about 80% of the time, and I hit my woods "good" about 25-30% of the time. I feel this is the missing piece for me to start shooting in the 80s.

Any swing thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is very common for all golfers at one time or another. This is normally caused by something called "over the top swing". What it means is on your downswing you are coming over the top of the plane of your back swing. There are plenty of youtube videos on drills for getting rid of an over the top swing. You should also video your swing and upload it here so people can look at it. Just my opinion. Thanks.

Can you post up a video of your swing

meandmygolf has some really good videos on YouTube. They also have a website.

YouTube lessons is going to be your best friend.

I was in the same boat, up until this yr....I took lessons that really didn't help much...watched the vids as mentioned, they helped some...what I did was this(and many may rebuke this so take it for what it's worth)..I swung my 3W like it was a long iron,as in more upright than a driver swing...I smashed the clubhead into the back of the ball,hitting the ground at the same time it touched the ball...I adjusted flight by open/close clubface on address.... worked for me.. I hit mine 180-200 off the tee,good enough to hit it again from the fairway to get close....

Same boat up until this year. I hated hitting my 3 and 5w and would rather hit a 4 or 5i and pitch up. Now I would rather hit my fairway woods than my long irons. It's all about the swing.

My my point is to keep watching the YouTube videos and practice.

I should also mention I started hitting it better when I realized that the driver is now a specialty club needing a different swing than my irons but my fairway woods swing are still close to my iron swing.

I too am having problems with the 3W. I am desperate to get that "AHA" moment!!!

if i was you, i would buy the long orange whip.... swing this thing about 50 times a day with your right elbow...(if you're a rightly that is).. kept tight as you can to your right side on the back swing and down swing then release it from your body at the impact zone....... it always helps to groove me in...

Hit a different club. You can play fine golf without a 3w. Either hit that hybrid or get a 5w.

If its an Over the Top swing issue, learn how to hit a hook as its easier to fix than a slice, or try going to the range and hitting everything off the toe. Maybe that will get you inside to square to inside swing path. Thats what my problem was.

I am just a rookie here, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but I think the community would be able to help you better if you posted a video of you hitting a ball with your driver. and describing even better what is it that you want to ball to do off your woods that it is not doing. I see by your description that there is no consistency with your driver as you mention you are all over the place with it. But you must be doing something good with the irons and wedges if you are shooting in the 90's with this problem. That makes fixing this driver issue even more important. Who knows how much lower your score could be when you fix it.

I mention the video because it is what helped me figure out why I could hit my 4i farther than my driver. I was hitting my driver like my long irons, I was standing too close to the ball and not "pushing" enough to stretch my arms.

Good luck fellow hacker. The 80's are within your grasp.

Last edited:
A friend of mine whose a scratch golfer has always advised beginners we play with to hit there woods with a sweeping motion.

A friend of mine whose a scratch golfer has always advised beginners we play with to hit there woods with a sweeping motion.

Amen to that.
btw, you must be very good with your irons and your shortgame to shoot in the 90's without the driver, 3 or 5 wood.:drinks:

Back