Questionable golf etiquette??

azrsx

Awaiting LIV contract
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone! New here and pretty sweet place I might say.

Yesterday something happened that pretty much ruined my round. I was teeing off and sliced my ball onto the next fairway where a group of guys happen to be playing. Of course I yelled fore to let them know. I took my mulligan for the round and sliced it again :at-wits-end: nearby them. Before I could drive over to apologize they had already taken off to the next hole but they stole my balls!! I could understand their frustration seeing how I almost hit them but didn't think that warranted them taking my stuff. Wasn't too happy. Has this happened before? They were like 2 groups ahead of us otherwise I would have caught up and seen wtf was up

Obviously nobody likes to be hit in to, whether it's intentional or not. Clearly this was not intentional. I would be a little PO'd as well. Oh and welcome to THP

I know a guy who leaves business cards when he gets hit into, but he's a real piece of work. :alien:

I think it was rude of them to take your balls, but I can see their frustration. If it were me having sliced into them once, I would have waited for them to clear that area before hitting again, or just played my ball from the wrong fairway instead of hitting a mulligan.

first of, welcome to THP!

they of course had no business picking up a ball, but I can understand the frustration over getting hit at twice in a row. like others said, I would just go and hit it, I have a strict no mulligan policy

I don't think they should have picked up your ball. You hit a bad shot and yelled out a warning to them. If someone does that for me, I appreciate it and tell them no problem and point them to where the ball is. Now if they can see me and they don't yell "fore", then maybe I would pick up their ball.

They had no right in picking up your ball that's for sure.

I certainly would have waited until those guys cleared the area before I hit the mulligan though. But either way it doesn't excuse them picking up your ball.

first welcome to THP....second as much as people don't like being hit into there is a difference between intentional and accidental. If a group sees a group in front of them and they are potentially within reachable distance and hit into that group it is rude, however if you slice,hook,pull, etc a shot into another fairway and yell fore then you are being courteous for a mishit and the group that was accidentally hit into should understand. No need to take someone's ball(s).

Golf is a stupid hard game. Being out on the course, and hearing fore, I'm a lot less angry than if a ball comes flying around me and nobody yells fore. In either case, I leave the ball where it lies.

Welcome to THP. Whether you hit into them or not, it clearly wasn't intentional. No excuse to take golf balls. I've taught my wife not to pick up any golf balls unless she is absolutely 100% certain there is no chance the ball is still in play. Some people are just jerks or completely oblivious. On a related note, I've played a local par 3 after work and one visit I played 2 balls for 9 holes. On the 8th after I hit both on the green/fringe someone walked up and picked up BOTH! I was 50 yards away walking to the green! WTF on that. And yes I absolutely ran him down and made him cough both up. Although if he was 6'3", 240lb I would have let him be...

I agree with the rest of the folks here - if you yell Fore, you're giving a warning that a ball is headed their way - that's part of the game. It may have been wise to wait until they cleared for their second shot, though no excuse for taking your ball.

Welcome to THP! What the others have said. Yelling "Fore" makes it pretty obvious it's not intentional. Next time if hitting a provisional/mulligan, you should probably wait for that area to clear or hit from the edge of that faiway (play it as if the fairway edge is a red-staked lateral hazard). Our league does this to speed up play.

I'd be kinda upset if you teed it up a 2nd time. You should have waited. If a golf ball connected with a skull it could do some serious damage.

I never would have picked your ball up or been angry you hit it my way, happens in golf. However hitting two would not make me happy. I understand you had mulligan but even with such a bad tee shot it's not the time to play it knowing you could hour another my direction. Not intended but still

Hello everyone! New here and pretty sweet place I might say.

Yesterday something happened that pretty much ruined my round. I was teeing off and sliced my ball onto the next fairway where a group of guys happen to be playing. Of course I yelled fore to let them know. I took my mulligan for the round and sliced it again :at-wits-end: nearby them. Before I could drive over to apologize they had already taken off to the next hole but they stole my balls!! I could understand their frustration seeing how I almost hit them but didn't think that warranted them taking my stuff. Wasn't too happy. Has this happened before? They were like 2 groups ahead of us otherwise I would have caught up and seen wtf was up

Welcome to THP!

That definitely sucks, but I see both sides, sucks they took your golf balls, but at the same time they probably assumed about the situation and got a little upset too.

Not really questionable. Was it right to snag your balls after yelling FORE and hopefully knowing it was unintentional? No. Should you have waited on hitting the second until they cleared the danger zone? Yeah.
It sucks but nobody is really right in this situation.

First welcome, I'll agree with others they could have left your balls but honestly I'd be a little pissed if someone sent a second flying my way so quick.

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to this, as long as you yell "fore". However, I've yet to get hit with a golf ball.

Most of the time when this happens to me, I just let them know where their ball is, and they normally apologize.

No excuse to take your ball. If you yelled "fore" both times you were in the right. If you didn't yell "fore" on your second shot, you should have. But still that is not an excuse. How childish to pick up your ball and run away with it!

totally uncool to flog your balls, maybe give you a hard time (in jest) for knocking two their way - they can't really be that put out as you did the right thing and let them know there was friendly fire coming their way - it's one of those things that happens to all of us on occasions - I have often said when someone knocks more than one up on me from behind that if they do it again I will send it back their way (yup I'm all talk but sure makes you feel better in the heat of the moment)

Years ago, my dad and I were playing at a municipal course in LA county called Los Verdes. It's an awesome course with ocean views, but it is catastrophically crowded because of the views. At any rate, we were walking to our balls on our fairway and were about 200 yards out when we saw a golf cart with two ladies drive into the fairway, pick up our balls, and drive away. It was bizarre. We flagged them down and they gave us back the balls, claiming they thought they were their mis hits. So those ball pickers are out there and yes it's a big breach of etiquette, as I don't touch any ball on the course unless I know it's mine.

Really lame move to pick up your golf balls. If you have two fairways right next to each other that kind of thing happens. I assume you were playing as a single. So if you were playing in a group and two of you sliced would they have still picked up both balls? Only thing might be if my miss is a slice I might have waited til they were past but they still sound like jerks. I think I would have gone and confronted them about it too.

Really lame move to pick up your golf balls. If you have two fairways right next to each other that kind of thing happens. I assume you were playing as a single. So if you were playing in a group and two of you sliced would they have still picked up both balls? Only thing might be if my miss is a slice I might have waited til they were past but they still sound like jerks. I think I would have gone and confronted them about it too.

I do believe it was a jerk move picking up the balls. But nothing worth confronting somebody over. Especially when there were two fired in the direction.

The first ball is easy to let roll off, but for a second to come in and land at their feet may not have sat too kindly

First off welcome.

I think there's some error in both parties. They definitely shouldn't have taken your balls, especially since you yelled fore, showing it was an accident. That said, I would have waited to hit my 2nd shot until they were clear of your potential hitting area after hitting into them once.

Dan

I see no reason to take your ball or get pissed. You hit an errant drive. It not like you drove into them. You did nothing wrong.

Now you saw the balls land and you're sure they took them? You didn't just lose them?

There's absolutely no excuse for stealing other people's property. If they didn't like what you did they should have spoken to you, not stolen your balls.

Back