Lockman850

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, today had a friend at the course before our foursome got there. The course was packed and slow. One of our foursome refused to play 5. Said he would drive the 40 mins home and some one pay for his range balls if we were playing 5. I just got out of the car and didn't know how to react. He drove to the 5th player at range for a confrontation. The 5th politely bowed out. I just felt bad as the 5th was a friend to all of us. What do you all think?

swing your swing

I dont think 5somes should be allowed on the golf course. The game is slow enough as it is.

I dont think 5somes should be allowed on the golf course. The game is slow enough as it is.

No no no...never ever

Now I did play 9 with an 8some and it was hilarious and took forever..but never 5 no no no

I have played a few holes as a five some but it was only a few holes at the end of a round and it defiantly slowed the holes down

Not on a weekend with a packed course. Around here you could get away with it on a weekday when the course is pretty empty, but on a weekend it wouldn't matter how fast your fivesome was, you'd still be looked at as the reason for the course being slow. People look at a fivesome and automatically blame them for everything, including global warming and avian flu. It's just a fact of golf.

If he confronted him in a rude manner than that is the wrong way to handle it. As far as playing 5 on a packed and slow golf course, I wouldn't do it personally.

Too many people think that playing more than a 4some is acceptable. "Well its already slow", so then they make it even slower.

Courses/marshalls need to be more vigilant.

This just shouldnt be allowed

I saw a group of 7 on the course today. They went off as two groups, but joined up after that.

I was going to call the Pro, but when I came over the hill, he was sitting behind the green they were hitting into just waiting on them. I guess someone else had already called or they had done this before.

I agree with the rest of the guys. No 5somes!

It's like 20% larger and 60% slower than a foursome. No dice.

You said the course was packed, but if there were two consecutive tee times, why not go out in a group of 2 and a group of 3? Don't join together like others have mentioned seeing, but you'll be in consecutive groups so you can still have an idea of how the other group is doing.

The course I grew up playing allows 5. I was playing there about a month ago and there was a group of 5 playing on a Sunday morning--each with their own cart. Granted, it's a private course and it's never packed, but it was one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on a golf course.

Ok, today had a friend at the course before our foursome got there. The course was packed and slow. One of our foursome refused to play 5. Said he would drive the 40 mins home and some one pay for his range balls if we were playing 5. I just got out of the car and didn't know how to react. He drove to the 5th player at range for a confrontation. The 5th politely bowed out. I just felt bad as the 5th was a friend to all of us. What do you all think?

swing your swing

I personally dont see the big deal if its slow anyway and if the 5some kept up with the next 4some it shouldnt really matter. Now, one may sarcastically ask then why not 6? But the line has to be drawn somehwhere. If the 5 couldnt keep the pace then thats a different story. Other than that, whats the difference? But I never seen 5 and didnt know it would even be allowed.

For your story above and regardless of my opinion, If the course allows this (right, wrong, or indifferent) then what is the need for the confrontation? Or I just cant seem to read it correctly. Not sure why a confrontation was required. If the guy didnt bow out, would there have been a fight? Sorry but just not understanding the confrontation part.

If its allowed (again right or wrong) and if you all were ok with it except the one individual then perhaps he should just have not played. I just dont know.

Fivesomes suck and I can't stand it when courses allow them. I won't play in them.

My course allows 5somes on Fridays. I avoid playing there on Fridays like the plague. The pace of play is usually close to 4.5 hours. It sucks

If the course is empty or near empty, I see no issue with it. But if it's crowded, I don't think it's a good idea. Even if they keep up with pace of play, other people are gonna see it. You'll prolly have a ton of pissed people, and probably some who will then think they can go off in 5somes as well.

Tell the guy that threatened to leave, See Ya. Now you have your foursome. Playing five is a bad deal, but so are arrogant people that think they can get there way with threats and bluster.

5somes shouldn't be allowed. If the course allows them, however, go for it.

Tell the guy that threatened to leave, See Ya. Now you have your foursome. Playing five is a bad deal, but so are arrogant people that think they can get there way with threats and bluster.

This ^^

My home course allows an occasional fivesome with stipulations. All players are required to ride (3 carts), and they must commit to keeping pace. If they fail to keep up, the ranger will order them to drop a player, no arguments. There are a couple of groups which will regularly play with anywhere from 8 to 15 players, and they will play with a fivesome in the group if the numbers work out that way. Even the group of five will generally be waiting on each shot for the field in front of them. I've played with them in 4 hours flat.

That said, just letting fivesomes out without restrictions is a bad, bad idea. It tends to reduce the quality of the experience for everyone, including the fivesome, and the course doesn't actually make any more money because it just plays slower. You can only run so many people through a course on a given day, and it doesn't matter if they are in groups of 5 or 4. It's like a water hose, once it reaches maximum flow, no more water will go through no matter how high the pressure. Instead the hose just bursts.

I have played in 5somes before, but only on weekdays and an empty course and we rarely did it. Of course we would break up if anyone ever caught us, but that rarely happened.

Would I suggest doing it normally? No. Just not a smart decision.

I disagree with the vast majority here apparently. I play in a 5-some almost every Fri mid afternoon, and if we're not waiting on anyone, we play the course in 4hr 15 min top. Only time we've ever gone over that is when waiting on 3s or 4s in front of us.

And I walk. (other 4 ride).

To blanket every 5 with an automatic snail pace is ridiculous. I also know of several members at my home course that play as 5s every week and play faster than most 4s.

I'm not a fan at all of 5somes. If I need a tee time I know to fill with 4 guys. If I have 5 or more we split, plain and simple.

Most of the courses in the Houston area don't allow 5 somes at all...however my home course being in a more rural area and privately owned does...and it gets frustrating when you get behind them as a 3 some....there is one group that plays every Sunday about 1 pm....15 guys that play as 3 5 somes....and out of the 15 maybe 4 or them can break 100....if you get behind them you're screwed.

Back