Finding Equipment and other things left behind on the course

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am just curious about how you guys handle yourself in this situation when you have found a club or maybe some other accessory left behind by another player on a previous hole they have played?

Personally, I have always just turned in anything I have found at the clubhouse. I have seen on two different occasions a close friend has left items on the course only to have people keep them. We dont play at a rinky dink club either which makes it more surprising. Earlier this year he left a wedge behind which was never turned in and then last week we met after work for a quick 9 and he left his laser behind which also was not turned in. I mean, isnt golf about being honest with yourself? Granted I believe its his fault for leaving it but at what point are golfers held to a higher standard? In this game you call penalties on yourself ect. Why take something that someone mistakenly left behind?

Just curious to THPer thoughts on this matter as it kinda ruffled my feathers.

I think that you should turn things that you find on the course in to the club house, however I agree that it is the player's fault if they leave things behind... I've personally lost a wedge and a laser this year, and it was totally my fault.

Dax

I generally find a SW or PW around the greens from time to time. If it's a club I'd like to try, I play with it on the next hole until the group in front returns for it. If they don't return, I then turn it in to the clubhouse.

I've often left a club or something behind, at my home course. Left my laser and ipad in a cart. Everything has always caught up to me or made it's way to the caddie shack. I always turn in what I find, as a matter of principle.

If anyone were ever caught purposely not turning something in, they should be sanctioned by the club (if private), not to mention perhaps charged with theft.

I did have one time where a playing partner put a wedge we found in my bag. Typically I would just put it in the basket, but for some reason he put it in my bag. I forgot about it and left the course and drove the half-hour home. As I was putting my clubs away I noticed it. I immediately jumped in the car and headed back to the course. On the way I called them, and fortunately the player had left their number with the pro shop, so it all ended well.

Anytime I find something, regardless of what it is, I call the club house and let them know I have it in case the person has already inquired about it. I'll then take it in after the turn or after the round. I've thankfully never lost anything. Even though it would be my fault for leaving it behind, I would still be very angry that someone STOLE something from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have found a few wedges i always turn them in if not karma will get you

First round ever played was with a retired teacher and got best tip ever. Always leave extra club between the hole and cart or bag if walking. Always turn things in, clubs, head covers, gloves and even a jacket once.

I turn them in as well, I have no need for anything that's not mine. I enjoy good Karma golf.

All I know is how gutted I'd feel if I lost a club. That feeling alone is enough to make sure I'd turn in anything I found.

I find things left behind from time to time and always turn them in at the clubhouse.

Always turn them in. I hope if I ever leave something behind, someone else does the same.

Always turn them in. Not even a question. I've never left a club behind, but I can certainly imagine how I'd feel if I did and someone didn't turn it in.

Funny because my last round I left my 3wood Titleist head cover just a few holes behind and mysteriously no one had it nor saw it. Pissed me off some but its my fault for forgetting it.

On the other side of things I once lost my range finder. Knew where I lost it but could not find it in the rough around the green. I couldn't hit well on the next tee because I was concerned about it. "yea, that's why I stunk" lol But anyway the group behind came across it and drove up and gave it to me :)

I turn in anything I find :)
One time I checked in to a hotel and the last guest left a portable dvd player (popular and expensive item at the time). I took it to the front desk because I just always think what if it was me or my family that lost something:(
I also don't like leaving stuff behind that someone else left or lost because I don't trust that the person will always realize its missing and may never come back till its too late. I also don't trust that the next person behind me will do he same. I find something of value and I will hold it and then turn it in soon as I can.

Too many people just have no respect for others property. Or for that matter other people :(

I and everyone I play with will pick up the item and if we catch up to the group in front we ask if they lost it, if not we turn it into the clubhouse. I have never seen anyone I know keep something but have had people leave an item and,not get it back

Always turn stuff in and hope others do the same if I was to leave something behind

Always turn it in. I once found a club that had an address tag on it for a club a few states away. I forgot to turn the club in to the course I was playing but called the club and got the guys contact info to mail to him. Turns out, he had lost it several years ago and someone was playing it until they also lost it.

Also, I've left a laser in a cart that wasn't turned in, and that really pissed me off because it would have only been the cart cleaners that would have seen it.

Always turn things in.

Ironically the two things I've ever had stolen were at the most exclusive CC in the area.

When I find something left behind, I'll either turn it in at the club house after the round or ask the group in front if I catch up. Earlier this year I found a putter just off the green. I drove up to the group in front of us to give it to the guy. I figured he might want that for the last couple holes.

As with everyone here I always turn in anything found on the course. My question is, who the *&$% are these people who DON'T turn in found items?!?! It's not yours so it's stealing!

About 2 months ago a member of my foursome left his laser on a previous hole, which he discovered when he went to hit his approach shot in the next fairway. We drove back to the group behind us and asked if they'd seen it. One guy looks at the other and this guy pulls it out of a pocket in his bag (they were in a cart). I didn't say anything, but we could tell he never intended on turning it in. UNREAL!

I have have always turned in stuff I have found and even if I kept it I probably would always think about where I got that item and it would eat me alive. I had a buddy in high school find a really nice wedge one evening and he stuck it in his bag and said he was going to turn it in after the round. The next week we were on the 2nd or 3rd hole and sure enough he was gaming the wedge and when I asked he said he forgot. We wound up not being friends after that not for the fact he stole someones club but for the fact he was a liar. I can't stand someone lying to my face.

I've found a club left behind once or twice... I'll put it in my bag or the cart and turn it in to the club house when I get the chance. Same thing goes for if I find a head cover or electronic device. I doubt I'd entertain the thought of keeping something that wasn't mine. One reason is I wasn't brought up that way... another reason is that most clubs are right handed... I'm not.

I haven't left a club behind yet... I might look like a dufus but when I bring more than my putter onto the green with me, that club is either leaning on my leg as I putt or it's lying on the flag or it's between me and my bag. It's not getting left behind if I can help it. I try to make sure any other players don't leave clubs behind either when they play with me.

First let me say I always turn clubs/headcovers in, I know how I feel when I scramble for my GPS being my first one was never found. Hopefully the golf gods will look favorably at me.

But a couple things here I find odd. First why are golfers to be held at higher standards? Same with pro athletes. So why are golfers and pro athletes held at a higher standard? I think everyone should be held at the same standards(which in today's society seems pretty low)

And second. If you lose something and someone picks it up, it's not theft and someone is not going to be charged with theft as someone stated above.

It's a sad world we live in, I'm scared to leave my range finder clipped to my bag. Someone stole a 913 head at my local golf shop. Unfortunately this is the world we live so we just need to take extra precautions with our expensive hobby.

Back