Thanks, but this one, is the one. My wife is a lot younger than me. She will sell it so the second husband will get the mansion.

The vintage guitar market has cooled as boomers die off and Gen xers play less guitar and more computer games. Sad....

I want to find the guy that has a huge collection stashed in a bank vault and take them haha, at least you play yours, most people store them and keep them because of their value, nothing sounds more amazing than a burst. Please tell me you own a copy of the beauty of the burst, those guitars are so amazing.

A friend of mine owns a 1957 and a 1954 gold top, such amazing guitars, another friend also refinished his 57 gold top and found a mismatched off center top like many of the good tops.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Beauty of the Burst and belong to the Les Paul Forum. My friend, Randy Snapp, who sanded his 57 Gold Top is the best slide player I have every seen, including Duane. I bought his 66 Gretch Country Gentleman from him. Randy was into the sound and I kind of followed his lead. He sanded the 57 in 1973 and knew that he was altering a "Vintage" guitar. We thought he could maybe get $800 or $900 if he left it original.

The re issue 57's are too heavy and the necks too fat. The re issue 58's and 59's just suck, IMO. But then, Gibson is not the best guitar maker. Very inconsistent quality. Sad.

Remember, they were made to play. :act-up:

I want to find the guy that has a huge collection stashed in a bank vault and take them haha, at least you play yours, most people store them and keep them because of their value, nothing sounds more amazing than a burst. Please tell me you own a copy of the beauty of the burst, those guitars are so amazing.

A friend of mine owns a 1957 and a 1954 gold top, such amazing guitars, another friend also refinished his 57 gold top and found a mismatched off center top like many of the good tops.

I have the Beauty of the Burst and belong to the Les Paul Forum. My friend, Randy Snapp, who sanded his 57 Gold Top is the best slide player I have every seen, including Duane. I bought his 66 Gretch Country Gentleman from him. Randy was into the sound and I kind of followed his lead. He sanded the 57 in 1973 and knew that he was altering a "Vintage" guitar. We thought he could maybe get $800 or $900 if he left it original.

The re issue 57's are too heavy and the necks too fat. The re issue 58's and 59's just suck, IMO. But then, Gibson is not the best guitar maker. Very inconsistent quality. Sad.

Remember, they were made to play. :act-up:

Yeah I've heard they have a ton of issues with their quality control, I am starting to like fender a but better, a friend of mine has an original jaguar, and a jazz master that he bought new when we was young, and they play good, it's been a hit and miss for me with Gibson, I've had some good ones and played some crappy ones, they aren't consistent like you said. I love your amps by the way!

Oh speaking of country gentlemen, another old friend of mine still owns his that he bought when it was new, it plays fantastic, he was offered a few thousand for it because he always took care of it and he refused, it's too sentimental for him.

coughlin03, that is a very nice collection! Satchmo, you know way too much about guitars :D

And the ones that do play guitar buy Ibanez 7-strings

Hahahah that's funny, I tried out one of them Ibanez 7 strings and It wasn't comfortable for me, I have a 5 strings bass and it's also awkward haha

Long time guitarist here:

My current setup
Guitars: Gibson SG Junior, Gibson SG-3 Single Coils
Amp: Dr. Z Carmen Ghia

Great to learn there are so many other guitarists here!

This thread is sick - some of the gear you guys have is insane! My gear doesn't even begin to stack up to this. I had a really nice tube head (B-52), but the movers destroyed it when I moved about a month ago...I will be getting compensated for it, but it was like a shot in the heart when I saw that thing...my other amp is just a crappy 25W Fender!

I have an Epi Les Paul (I know, its no Gibson), a Schecter Gryphon-7, an Ibanez acoustic, and Yamaha alto and tenor saxes. I played saxophone in college wind ensemble and in some ska-punk bands, but I only play it infrequently now. I played the guitar in those bands a bit as well. On guitar now, I play everything from old classic and southern rock to melodic death metal.

And the ones that do play guitar buy Ibanez 7-strings

What's wrong with Ibanez 7-strings? Great for expanding your range, and there's some guys out there who can really rip on 7's (look up Per Nilsson for an example). It's not all just chugging!

I've tried to play a 7 string Ibanez but couldn't get the hang of it hahahaha, I've been playing les Paul's and love them too much

This thread is sick - some of the gear you guys have is insane! My gear doesn't even begin to stack up to this. I had a really nice tube head (B-52), but the movers destroyed it when I moved about a month ago...I will be getting compensated for it, but it was like a shot in the heart when I saw that thing...my other amp is just a crappy 25W Fender!

I have an Epi Les Paul (I know, its no Gibson), a Schecter Gryphon-7, an Ibanez acoustic, and Yamaha alto and tenor saxes. I played saxophone in college wind ensemble and in some ska-punk bands, but I only play it infrequently now. I played the guitar in those bands a bit as well. On guitar now, I play everything from old classic and southern rock to melodic death metal.

What's wrong with Ibanez 7-strings? Great for expanding your range, and there's some guys out there who can really rip on 7's (look up Per Nilsson for an example). It's not all just chugging!

Oh I don't have anything against 7-strings. Not my thing, but I have huge respect for guys like Tosin Abasi, Misha Mansoor and all of the other guys who absolutely rip on them (even 8-strings!). Granted, most of the music where 7-strings are popular isn't my thing. I'm not really into most of the newer metal sub-genres (more of a old school metal and punk guy) or the newer prog stuff, but I can appreciate quality muscianship wherever it's used. That comment was referring to how that's kind of the new, hot thing with kids right now. They like the newer types of metal/rock and tend to go after whatever is being played by their heroes. So, that's what you see the little wannabes playing the same riff over and over again on when you walk into guitar center.

I'm a righty that plays the guitar lefty.......

...And I'm a lefty that's trying to learn to play the guitar righty! Haven't touched it in quite a while - golf & life keeps getting in the way.

Here's what I have:

Michael Kelly Patriot Limited (Bubinga body):
michael-kelly-patriot-limited-bubinga-1222-p.jpg

and a Washburn D10SCE acoustic/electric:
D10SCE.jpg

Just a beginner at guitar though!

Oh I don't have anything against 7-strings. Not my thing, but I have huge respect for guys like Tosin Abasi, Misha Mansoor and all of the other guys who absolutely rip on them (even 8-strings!). Granted, most of the music where 7-strings are popular isn't my thing. I'm not really into most of the newer metal sub-genres (more of a old school metal and punk guy) or the newer prog stuff, but I can appreciate quality muscianship wherever it's used. That comment was referring to how that's kind of the new, hot thing with kids right now. They like the newer types of metal/rock and tend to go after whatever is being played by their heroes. So, that's what you see the little wannabes playing the same riff over and over again on when you walk into guitar center.

It's all good man, I misunderstood! And you are right - there was a kid failing at a Korn riff on a 7-string last time I was in Guitar Center... :bulgy-eyes:
I like me some metal of all types, but I can definitely understand why people can't get into the more extreme stuff where they use lots of 7's. Lots of excellent musicianship in some of those bands though, if you can get past the sometimes bizarre/terrifying vocals.

there was a kid failing at a Korn riff on a 7-string last time I was in Guitar Center... :bulgy-eyes:

Haha! Exactly!

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I like some pretty heavy stuff, but I think my ear gravitates toward more melodic vocals and maybe the more straightforward, bluesy riffs. I don't even know if that explains it correctly, though. Definitely not a fan of screachy/screamy vocals, but I love lots of thrash, old school Brit metal (Maiden et. al), thrash (huge Anthrax guy) and there's some new stuff I like too. But even the new stuff is more traditional sounding, I guess. Check out a newer band called Gypsyhawk. They've got a great sound that's kind of classic and new at the same time.

I've gotta say I'm jealous of you guys who get enjoyment out of playing instruments and can just pick up a guitar and start playing it with friends around. I have some newfie friends like that and they're a riot.
Me on the other hand, I HATE playing anything musical. I did 7 years of piano (got my RCM grade 8) and then 6 years of clarinet in junior high and high school concert band (ended up as section leader and all that) but I got less than 0 satisfaction or pleasure out of any of it. It was always such a chore to me and I can't stand practicing anything musical.

6eru8ety.jpg

Sound check last night, with my Les Paul

When I was gigging a I used an Epi LP and replaced all the electronics and tuners. I used an Epi so that I wouldn't worry about it getting banged up.

That guitar turned out to be my favorite and sounded incredible. Played great. Had a beautiful amber curly maple top. It ended up getting stolen. Still miss that guitar.

When I was gigging a I used an Epi LP and replaced all the electronics and tuners. I used an Epi so that I wouldn't worry about it getting banged up.

That guitar turned out to be my favorite and sounded incredible. Played great. Had a beautiful amber curly maple top. It ended up getting stolen. Still miss that guitar.

I did the same 10 years ago, I owned an epi standard and switched out the internals and such to Gibson stuff, now I just play my Gibson traditional

I play an Epi LP Standard Pro (amber burst) through a Peavey Classic 30. DIRTY AS HELL.

If anyone wants, check out my band. We just released our debut EP. Its dirty blues rock n roll.

I play rhythm and sing in addition to being the songwriter. Hope you like!

http://www.reverbnation.com/eaglevsfalcon

I added a La Patrie Etude classical and a Fender Blacktop Strat to my small group of guitars this summer. I'm still a 25 handicap playing, but I love the challenge of getting better. I'm set to take some lessons this winter so I'm looking forward to that. The guitar is the only thing I do lefty being a righty. Just the way it is. I have zero chance with a righty.

Guitar and bass since the early 80's...some drums for the past couple of years. My latest guitar purchase.

dude, dogman, that is a beauty.

I'm shopping around for a new axe since mine was stolen a couple weeks ago. I didn't play it much but I still miss it. Looking at esp ltd ec 1000. Pretty nice lp style body on then.

Back