Came from a club fitting today was recommended titelist ap1

Infoe

Reaction score
Handicap
my golf pro recommended me this club fitter that used to be part of the Jim Mclean network. paid $175 for fitting I have the trackman info there the actual fitting report does not seem to have much.

Ultimately he recommended me to switch to AP1 clubs from my callaway razr x...now I'm lefty so It's not as easy for me to walk into a store and see a set of all the irons in lefty and try them..most of them have a set or two if any and that's it.

I bought my razr x sight unseen because they had them on a super sale. I'm not opposed to switching to the ap1's if their unequivocally better. I'm not opposed to switching to them also because fitter said their easier to bend/work with than my razr x

just not sure what to do..any thoughts on if it the ap1 is an upgrade?

if anybody is interested in seeing my trackman report and or club fitting report (which is just one page, and basically states I should be using stiff) I'll send over.

was also recommended the nippon 1050 shaft...he basically said I should be using a light shaft but stiff.

Just curious, what does a $175 fitting include?

Does the fitter work with only 1 OEM or was this based on hitting multiple heads? Were you able to compare your current set to the new configuration?

The 712 AP1's are a very good iron IMO but it's kind of a lousy time to buy them at full price. The 714 AP1's will be released this fall/winter and will most likely be the same price. I have no idea if the 714's will be any better or not, I just know they are in the works.

I am curious what makes the AP1 easier to bend/work than the Razr X.

Just curious, what does a $175 fitting include?

So It's 125 for irons 175 for irons and woods..it included trackman information...readings on my current club....what length, flex, shaft recommendations...analysis with my 6 iron and driver.

Does the fitter work with only 1 OEM or was this based on hitting multiple heads? Were you able to compare your current set to the new configuration?

He's independent and recommended me the mizuno jpx825proI as a second option to the ap1's (did confirm with a buddy that works at a golf shop that the ap1's would be easier than the mizzy's to hit..I'm still inconsistent with my swing path) I was not able to try the ap1 because he did not have it left handed..he was limited to very very few heads for left handed did say he would make some calls to try and get an ap1 head in so that I could demo if I wanted

The 712 AP1's are a very good iron IMO but it's kind of a lousy time to buy them at full price. The 714 AP1's will be released this fall/winter and will most likely be the same price. I have no idea if the 714's will be any better or not, I just know they are in the works.

I am curious what makes the AP1 easier to bend/work than the Razr X.
I'm not sure if $750-$799 for the ap1' is considered full price? If so I will wait...I bought my razr x 5-pw for $279 from a bargain golf web site because they were a couple season old so I feel like that was a steal, would also not have a problem selling them on ebay since they are lightly used. I would also be interested in waiting to see if the ap1's came down even more and nabbed those up when the 714's came out. Budget and just seeing how much next season clubs are sold at discount it will be a long while before I purchase new off the line set of clubs.

I do wonder this as well, he was pitching the ap1's as a forged club but as I came back to do my research I see it is a cast club...so in reality where is the difference.

Like I don't mind picking up the ap1 clubs and switching out my cally if they are hands down better but I'm not sure if it's a huge jump or gap closer...that's why I came here for the wiser folks. I'm still very much a beginner

Curious how he fit you to AP1's w/o having you hit them. What irons did you try out at the fitting?

Curious how he fit you to AP1's w/o having you hit them. What irons did you try out at the fitting?

Yeah, that's a bit disturbing...especially at the cost of that fitting.

I feel like the fitting would better benefit someone with more fine tuning in mind...to say the least it wasn't what i necessarily expected. I wanted to know which 50 degree I should be using (i happened to have bought both used on ebay) I have a cg 15 and a 588..he told me the 588 based on it being forged and it was 8 bounce as supposed ot the cg15 that was 10 bounce. didn't hit either to see numbers. anyhow not sure how a fitting is supposed to be but wasn't necessarily satisfied.

hit my cally, rbz, burner 2.0 heads and then with variations of shaft flexes.

I think the ap1 reco is based on his personal preference as a game improving club...I told him I would do the purchasing on my own so he could get the idea out of making money on the clubs...maybe take it to him for the fine tuning or shaft changing but he seemed to think it was better than my current head with more workability (for him) and an iron head that would follow me as I progress.

It does sound like there was a bunch of his personal preference involved and maybe not what is best for your game. Not sure how he thinks a club is better for an individual because it is forged vs. cast. The best fitting I have had to date was with GolfTEC. They have a database that recommends serveral irons based on you taking some swings with your own sticks and then they have you hit those irons to get data on each. That way the numbers can tell you which club works best for you. It is also about half the cost you paid.

It does sound like there was a bunch of his personal preference involved and maybe not what is best for your game. Not sure how he thinks a club is better for an individual because it is forged vs. cast. The best fitting I have had to date was with GolfTEC. They have a database that recommends serveral irons based on you taking some swings with your own sticks and then they have you hit those irons to get data on each. That way the numbers can tell you which club works best for you. It is also about half the cost you paid.

no golftec's in my area...I wanted to go somewhere better than a store clerk...not much info on where to get a decent fitting here in miami.

I am left handed and had a club fitting last year about the same time. I hit 5 different heads and ended up settling with the AP1's based of the readings I got. I did not hit them the farthest but my shot dispersion was much closer than any other iron. They fitted me with KbS shafts and I've really enjoyed playing them this last year

I am left handed and had a club fitting last year about the same time. I hit 5 different heads and ended up settling with the AP1's based of the readings I got. I did not hit them the farthest but my shot dispersion was much closer than any other iron. They fitted me with KbS shafts and I've really enjoyed playing them this last year

I read that they arent the longest clubs but straight..im not worried about distance...Id like to be much straighter.

Yeah, that's a bit disturbing...especially at the cost of that fitting.

What they said... I would insist (nicely of course) that he brings in the AP1 he'd for you to demo and for him to properly fit you.

I went from straight/small fade iron ball flight with my old Callaway X- 20's to a pretty consistent draw ball flight. My miss tends to be fat and they didn't dig as much for me compared to what I tested them against.

so is there no way to say the ap1 is a definitive better club than my callaway razr x? I can say that my razr x are definitively better than the starter set I upgraded from...but i'm starting to learn (I think) that between those two its not which one is better but which one is better for me?

so is there no way to say the ap1 is a definitive better club than my callaway razr x? I can say that my razr x are definitively better than the starter set I upgraded from...but i'm starting to learn (I think) that between those two its not which one is better but which one is better for me?

Exactly. Where you tend to miss on the face, how high you launch the ball, and the way your club interacts with the turf will all help determine the iron that is best for your game.

McLean is a hardcore Titleist man. So, are all of his shops. The AP1 recommendation is not surprising if the pro was with McLean for a while. But, I don't see how he can recommend a club that you didn't hit. You have to know what it feels like before you buy it. Given that you aren't buying your clubs from him and just getting a fitting, and being LH'ed, I partially his side. But, if you can wait for him to get some LH AP1's in, definitely do that. The shot dispersion is probably going to be more dependant on the shaft, not the clubhead.

no golftec's in my area...I wanted to go somewhere better than a store clerk...not much info on where to get a decent fitting here in miami.

Golftec has a site in Hollywood, FL which should be close to you.

I'm a lefty too and recently went to a local fitter and did mainly what you did. Cost was $75 for irons and would have been $100 for both if I had done the driver too. The main thing I was looking to do was change to KBS shafts which I did. I kept the heads I had and the guy did all the adjusting, etc when he installed the shafts. We went through about an hour of me hitting my irons and various irons with different KBS shafts.

The guy I dealt with had opinions but he also listened to what I had to say and watched what I was doing. I didn't feel pushed into anything. Based on what you are saying it sounds as if you are being pushed to a certain club. That club may be the right one, but if you are uncomfortable with the process having that in your mind will make it difficult to like the clubs even if they work. Every swing that goes wrong that will pop into your head. It's golf, we all have those bad thoughts ready to pop up at any moment.

Take some time, maybe check out the Golftec in Hollywood, FL or just give your current irons another few months. As a beginner the irons you have should do very well to help you get you swing mechanics figured out.

http://www.golftec.com/learningcenters/south_florida_golf_lesson.html

I too would be a bit leery of a recommendation for a club that you didn't swing. Numbers from the launch monitor are one thing and feel from set up to swing is another. I just purchased a new set of irons. I had my mind on buying a certain club, but the fitting told me something different. At the same time, I didn't purchase the 1st recommended club from the fitting because I hated the feel. The end result was a different club than I originally planned, one with decent comparative numbers that fit what I am trying to accomplish at this point in my game, and that felt really good to me. A club I hadn't even considered initially.

As a fellow "high handicapper" (at least by your stats) I also tend to question choosing an iron based on workability. I'm not sure how long you have been playing this game so excuse me if I'm making a bad assumption here. If you are truly a 36 handicap your first goal should be to hit the ball as straight as possible at consistent yardage and building a repeatable swing. The club can't make up for big swing flaws, but it can help lessen the impact of some mishits in both distance and direction. Typically, clubs that are geared to be more "workable" are less forgiving in some aspects.

Once again, sorry if a made a bad assumption in your game. I know for me that I'm well, well under a 36 and I still need more than anything to keep the ball straight.

I too would be a bit leery of a recommendation for a club that you didn't swing. Numbers from the launch monitor are one thing and feel from set up to swing is another. I just purchased a new set of irons. I had my mind on buying a certain club, but the fitting told me something different. At the same time, I didn't purchase the 1st recommended club from the fitting because I hated the feel. The end result was a different club than I originally planned, one with decent comparative numbers that fit what I am trying to accomplish at this point in my game, and that felt really good to me. A club I hadn't even considered initially.

As a fellow "high handicapper" (at least by your stats) I also tend to question choosing an iron based on workability. I'm not sure how long you have been playing this game so excuse me if I'm making a bad assumption here. If you are truly a 36 handicap your first goal should be to hit the ball as straight as possible at consistent yardage and building a repeatable swing. The club can't make up for big swing flaws, but it can help lessen the impact of some mishits in both distance and direction. Typically, clubs that are geared to be more "workable" are less forgiving in some aspects.

Once again, sorry if a made a bad assumption in your game. I know for me that I'm well, well under a 36 and I still need more than anything to keep the ball straight.

Havent measured my handicap in a while but i typically score in the high 90s sometimes low 100..thats probably info for a whoe other thread.

Havent measured my handicap in a while but i typically score in the high 90s sometimes low 100..thats probably info for a whoe other thread.

lol. I could go on for days about needed improvements in my game. Baby steps i guess.

Back