Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why someone called those ugly. That's a good looking club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 clubs longer...higher ball speeds and of forgiving on the non sweet spot hits. ...sounds like a winner to me. I'll be trying these out.

The price point isn't what I expected to see, but hey, Callaway has proven themselves in the iron market of late, so I'm sure they're quite worth it. Interesting, and I'd love to hit them.

• Admin
THP should have a set here very soon for review.

Disappointed had higher hopes for these

A great looking set of irons that remind me of the original BB irons. I can see these appealing to, and helping a ton of golfers. As for the 2 club distance gain, mmmmm hmmm

These have the potential to be something special. Cup Face construction is a pretty well accepted bit of technology and seeing it in an iron set should get the attention of anyone looking for distance and forgiveness.

The claim of only 1/2mph difference ball speed between the center of the face and on average is pretty crazy if you think about it.

Question I have is how well they managed to make these irons still feel and behave like irons. Also, will the looks really work for the picky folks, me included.

Sounds like the benefits of say an altitude iron in a much better looking package. Looking forward to the in hand testing to hear more

The cup face in irons is something that stands out to me. Looks wise, these don't stand out - to me they actually look like a model from 2 years ago but the names escapes me offhand.

Recoil graphite? Big yes there.

FYI, the Recoil shaft is a new one. Can't recall name exactly, but 4 something.

Why do we need a new iron with club up distances of 2 clubs? There are no new courses being built arouind me with 600 yard par 4s. most people are on the green in 2 or 3 now with their current club! OH, your introducing 4 new wedges, I get now!!! I'm sorry but seems a bit useless to me

Why do we need a new iron with club up distances of 2 clubs? There are no new courses being built arouind me with 600 yard par 4s. most people are on the green in 2 or 3 now with their current club! OH, your introducing 4 new wedges, I get now!!! I'm sorry but seems a bit useless to me

The easy answer is why dont we? Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. If someone feels that they like more choices, and/or this product fits them, then they will be available. Those that dont want them or like them, there are literally hundreds of other options.

Choices are good in life regardless of consumer product.

With the amount if offset and thicker sole, the type of golfer these were built for would probably like two more clubs worth of distances.

I've hit these irons and I gained yardage.

We have this debate EVERY 4 months. But if you can hit an 8 iron longer than a 7 iron, you should theoretically be able to control it better because of the shorter shaft. I am on board with that, and that is probably just one of 50 reasons it's better.

Good looking profiles on the BB irons. I'm sure these will be launching pads. Nice color scheme and it sounds like incredible distance

Nice looking clubs! I am glad to see the return of the Big Bertha Irons as I always liked them.

These look better in the video with the good Dr. on their website than they do to me in the pictures. Kuro Kage shaft available is an option. Cup face. I am excited about this release for sure.

Interesting. Not a bad price point and certainly the irons are deserving of the Big Bertha name. I'll be interested to see these in hand.

Not sure why someone called those ugly. That's a good looking club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think those are Callaway CG images...they look a little different in person imo. I don't think they're bad looking though...but I will say those CG images look nicer.

FYI, the Recoil shaft is a new one. Can't recall name exactly, but 4 something.

Recoil 460

On an aside...I'm kind of suprised at the price. I don't know if I could ever choose these over the Apex, even if they are more forgiving.

I like the looks and the sole reminds me of my Callaway Razr XF irons. The price is also similar to the XF when they were first released. Forged heads on the XF make them a sweet hitting iron. If the new Bertha's compare and add more distance these could be on my ponder list!

Definitely better looking than the images I saw a few weeks back.

As far as distance claims and the price range these are in... those I'm not sure about. Undoubtedly THP testing will get right to the heart of the distance claims, but for what appears to be an SGI they priced it in more of a player's range, at least IMO. The player these clubs would appeal to may not be interested in dropping that kind of cash on new irons.

Any specs? I like the look. Not find of the dark finish.

There are a ton of appealing aspects in these sets of irons. I am looking forward to hitting these.

Give me more options. The more options I have the better

Wow these are called ugly? I mean they aren't Apex stunning, but they look pretty nice. I'm sure these are freaking launchers that put the ball out there a long way. I want to take a swing at these badly with all the tech in them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back