Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will definitely be trying these out. I'll be interested in seeing the loft and (more importantly) shaft length specs when they come out. Not that the shaft length can't be changed with a fitting/custom order - just something I'm always curious about.

At first glance - these are great looking clubs and while I won't be picking them up immediately, I wouldn't be shocked if they challenge for a place in my bag at the start of next golf season (March/April or so).

EDIT: Loft and Length specs are available, it seems (though no difference for Graphite versus Steel yet?). Will be interested to see what the offset numbers look like. Length dead on to the Altitudes and loft within a degree on each club. Distance gains would be pretty impressive from that set up if it were true.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the specs to see if I can do a combo set using the lower lofted clubs from the BB's.

Wow 2 clubs longer is a big gain. I'd like to see those gains in person.

Interesting clubs and I'd love to get some range time with them.

What's interesting to me is that they make the 2 clubs longer claim against a specific set (the Razr X HL), without a huge difference in loft - the HL 4 iron is still 22*, while the 6 iron mentioned is 28*. I'm excited to see what kind of difference the cup face makes once some of the folks here get the clubs in their hands.

I'm obsessed with distance.

As with everything, I'll believe the distance gains when/if I see them. Cool thing is that might just be in a couple days.

I like the finish to them. 2 clubs longer is quite a bit. Look bulky, but in pictures so did the Razr XF's and I thought those irons were phenomenal. Will certainly give them a look this weekend.

I hear ya bro! I really looking forward to hitting these sometime in the near future.

I think they're pretty nice, but I can't say I'm super-wowed by them. How they look at address might change my mind, but from the views of the toe and the sole of the club look pretty chunky. For a similar price point, I think they lack the elegance and style of the Apex irons.

As for the "upside" of distance, I wonder what the trajectory looks like. It's cool to hit irons far, but it's way more cool to hit them high and far, IMO.

I do like the inclusion of Recoil shafts. That by itself might be worth the price is admission.

I will definitely try these. If they go further and are more consistent than everything else, then they go in the bag no matter how they look

My dad is still gaming the OG Big Bertha Irons, he has said every year he is going to buy new ones but he never does. He likes a chunky top line and wide sole, so I can definitely see these pulling him off the fence.

2 clubs longer....verified by robot. If that's true no one else will sell another iron. Skeptical but staying open-minded.

I don't think I have the stamina to get fitted with all of these options these days.

2 clubs longer on a robot from purely increasing ball speed off the face is pretty impressive.

I don't understand why people compare these to the apex irons, they are made for totally dirrent golfers.

to me they seems to compete more with irons like the adams XTD, it would be interesting to see them side by side

Really excited about those distance claims

Look at the lofts and those are one club's difference from the middle irons on. They're saying "up to two" which means that maybe there's something else to be gained from the hot faces -- or maybe not.

I wonder whether hotter faces produce more distance for higher swing speed players, but not for lower swing speed players.

Look at the lofts and those are one club's difference from the middle irons on. They're saying "up to two" which means that maybe there's something else to be gained from the hot faces -- or maybe not.

I wonder whether hotter faces produce more distance for higher swing speed players, but not for lower swing speed players.

How would that work?

They look a lot like the older Nike VR-S irons. The leading edge though, looks a bit rough for high cappers with how curved it is.

I think they are good looking irons. Are they "thicker" than my MP60s? Sure. But I'm not hung up on that. I'm into how they work for my game. MPlefty compared them to the XTDs which I actually like alot. Definitely need to demo these soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Wow.. I think the 4 iron may find a home in my bag. I played the X-Hot pro 4i as my 3i for a long time and loved it. If Big Bertha 4i plays a touch longer for me it will be in the bag.

So many good options out there. Add this to the list! One day I'll actually pull the trigger and upgrade from my '06 Berthas! LOL.

They are a good looking club in my opinion. I'm not entirely sold on the sole of the club, but I'll hit them and see what I find.

Hitting the 7 iron with the recoil 680 F4 it launched the ball very high for me, ( a lot higher than the clubs I play, but that is what they are designed for) I did not see the distance gains but I only hit it 4-5 times and with the weighting and sole it did feel like you could hit it with your eyes closed.

Not my kind of iron, but would be very helpful to someone getting started or needing launch help. Actually they could probably help me if my ego could get out of the way.

I had said they were ugly, but I am used to looking down at APEX pros or MB's so different breed of cat all together.

Disappointing to see Callaway use the big Bertha moniker on this club. I doubt the distance claim will be true for most players but I will give them a hit to see. At 1k for these irons if I were in the market for a super game improvement set I wouldn't consider these based on cost alone sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back