Next Ryder Cup Captains

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
I know this is really early and obviously following a disappointment for the US team, but who would you like to see as captains for both sides at the next Ryder Cup? It seems that at least for the European side that Darren Clarke would like to throw his name in the had and I like him as a player so I think that would bode well for Europe. Who does the US pick that can fill those shoes? Ive seen several mention a repeat captaincy for Paul Azinger which I am for or if the PGA wants new blood I think Freddy Couples would make a decent captain. Just food for thought.

I'd go with either Freddie or Zinger again.

Depends which popular veteran America wants to hate next.

I'd go with either Freddie or Zinger again.

Obviously good choices and I would go further and add Larry Nelson to the group.

I would like to see Jean van de Velde or Bernhard Langer for the Euro's and Couples or Lee Janzen for the American's.

Thats cold Army, but we definetly need a spark somewhere. Will be interesting to see how the tour shapes up over the next few years. I dont expect Phil or Tiger to make a strong showing anytime soon but wont completely count them out either. I like Freddy because he still plays at a competitive level albeit on the senior tour. If Azinger or Freddy are unwilling or unable, what about DL3 again?

Darren Clarke is a shoe in for Europe.

I'd like to see someone that really knows the players from a day to day standpoint. A peer that still played the tour that shows leadership. Or someone like David Duval who helped the U.S. Win at Brookline

Freddy gets my vote.

Langer vs Couples would pretty much be like the Champions Tour is now.

I didnt think about Duval. I will say that guy is tough for sure. Just have to make sure he is mentally prepared for it I guess.

Freddie as captain hands down and leave Phil at home...........with Keegan and Michael Jordan....

I lost a lot of respect for Phil today.

Phil gets my vote.

Please pick Furyk so we don't have to watch him lose in the Ryder Cup.

I would like to see Jean van de Velde or Bernhard Langer for the Euro's and Couples or Lee Janzen for the American's.

I think that Clarke will be the RC captain for Europe in 2016. RC is in France in 2018, but I doubt that Van de Velde is in consideration. Maybe Miguel Angel Jimenez at that time.

For the US, who knows....the players want Azinger back, and other than occasional announcing of golf tournaments, what else is he doing? Another name that I'll throw out there: David Toms, who will be 49 in 2016 and has Ryder Cup experience from last decade.

Next Ryder Cup Captains

Justin Leonard not a popular choice? I think he could make it happen.

Last edited:
David Toms. Past RCer and PGA Champ.

I'm not sure it really matters. The guys swinging the clubs just need to play better.

It doesnt matter so much on a physical level as much as emotional. You get a fiery captain and that translates into more fiery players. Sure not all will respond to it, but the ones that feed off that kind of energy can certainly benefit from that type of leadership. And your right we need do need to play better. Hopefully that will be addressed as well with an infusion of youth.

I'm not sure it really matters. The guys swinging the clubs just need to play better.

Spot on. Call me crazy but I'd like to go with a guy who everyone loves that would play their heart out for and is 2-0 as a Capt. Arnie baby!!:banana:

I agree here. Don't think Azinger would want to jeopardize his record.

Azinger would be my #1 choice, then I'd go with David Love III

Arnie would just nice the Europeans to death. That might be a smart play. Nobody would want to beat him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fred Funk or Tom Lemhan!

Billy Beane

Back