Play This Hole - Short Par 4

7 iron, wedge in (hopefully to tap-in, usually to an uncomfortable putt), Two putt.

9 iron off the tee, leaves me with about 110 or a full gap wedge into the green. Now I just have to hit them both straight! lol

I'd choke up on my driver, tee it up a little higher than norm and aim right at the right bunker. If I land in the bunker, it's an easy shot to the hole. If I draw it like normal, it's on the green for an eagle putt.

There sure are a lot of people saying they'd lay up. Of course, that's probably the smart move, but how many would actually do it during a normal round? How can you pass up the chance for a hole in one on a par 4? It's like playing the lottery. Sure you'll most likely end up a loser, but there's always that chance. So how many of you would actually play it safe in a real round instead of an internet one?

There are many more misses available when playing to 100 yards than when playing at the green. Hence I'm hitting an 8- iron. I can hit my 2hybo to the green, but its going to be little lower and coming in hit. Brings all sides of the water in. Block right and hitting 3 off the tee probably making 6. I actually bet the number of people making bogey going for it is greater than the number of people who make par laying up.

This.

For those of you who are excellent golfers, laying up just short is likely an option without a ton of risk.

However for most of us mortals, the risk would be substantially higher. I can guarantee you my pro would slap me upside my head if I even thought about pulling a club that brought the bunkers and the rest of the trouble into play.

There sure are a lot of people saying they'd lay up. Of course, that's probably the smart move, but how many would actually do it during a normal round? How can you pass up the chance for a hole in one on a par 4? It's like playing the lottery. Sure you'll most likely end up a loser, but there's always that chance. So how many of you would actually play it safe in a real round instead of an internet one?

I would do it every time I played the hole most likely. Depending on conditions and whatnot of course. But in the described scenario I would always lay up.

I probably wouldn't play it safe in either a real round or an internet round. Which is is part of what leads to my scores being higher than I think they should be. One of the best rounds I ever played was one where my longest club was a 4 hybrid.

I've become pretty disciplined in my play. I'd lay up 99% of the time. The only time I wouldn't is if I'd already blown the scorecard up and decided to just have some fun on the remaining holes.

We had a driveable par 4 at my club last year. It was a risky one though. You could find big trouble with a miss either way. I don't think I hit a driver at it one time in 8 months of playing there.

I like the way you think. Probably why it's fun to get a round in with you.

Needs to happen again. If I had played that way more at the Ohio invite I would have been 10 shots better...lol

If there isn't OB right, I'm a little more inclined to go for it. Because I can miss safely right. But I do like idea of playing to the far left of the fairway to play into the upslope of the green and lower the chance of hitting it in the water. As that should be a fairly easy shot to control spin on and not suck it back into the water.

Looks like a 5 iron to 215 or so depending on weather/course conditions, then a easy chip, sw to front pin, bump & run to back. Get that bird and go bomb one with the driver on the next hole

I guess it depends if you want to be David Sims or Tin Cup lol

I would like to say I would hit a 7 iron off the tee, But I am sure I would pull the 4 wood

I would go 8i, gap wedge, putter.

We had a driveable par 4 at my club last year. It was a risky one though. You could find big trouble with a miss either way. I don't think I hit a driver at it one time in 8 months of playing there.

Not even once? I would have had to try it at least once. Probably the first time I played it!

Let me preface this by saying that they were all speaking of tournament conditions with something on the line.

This is the difference for me. 99.0% of my rounds are for fun, so why not have some fun and go for it. If I was in a tournament or something, I would probably lay up to just over 100.

I can pretty safely take right out of play with my 3wood, so I'm still feeling safe with going for it. Like I said, if I do hit in the water, par is still likely and I'm pretty much guaranteed no worse than bogey. That risk isn't all that bad.

If it were just normal trouble around the green I would pull driver and go for it. But with all that water and the narrowing FW, I really would lay up with 8i and leave myself @100 yards in.

My miss tends to be left, so I'd go 8 iron SW. Hope to have consistent birdie looks and easy pars.

Not even once? I would have had to try it at least once. Probably the first time I played it!

Maybe, but I can't remember it if I did. Just never made sense to me and my game. I watched a whole bunch of guys try it and not a lot of success.

Nothing good comes from me hitting anything more than 8 iron. In real life in still hitting an 8. Playing for a 3 from 100 out seems much more enticing than playing for 6 from 256...

I think the interesting dynamic is seeing the people going for it versus those who aren't and the handicap difference. Seems to be more higher caps going for it than lower caps. Begs the question for me, is poor course management leading to those higher caps.

In a perfect world where I could hit the ball straight and clean, I would go 5W, 56*, putt putt.

In reality, I will go 5W, PW, 56*, 56*, putt, putt, putt.

There is the part of me that would want to be aggressive and hit a 3 wood with a shot at an eagle. But that is the side that always ends up writing down a 6 as I am walking off this type of hole. So I am going to hit a 7 iron and leave myself about 80 yards in. From there, depending on Pin placement, I would be hitting a SW or 60 degree into the green.

I would be aggressive and try to get the easy birdie and if I dumped it in the water, try to savage a par. It's worth the risk in my opinion of going for it.

7I to ~100 and a simple SW in hopefully.

I'd follow that 7I up by taking a shot with my driver if it wasn't busy... :D

Maybe, but I can't remember it if I did. Just never made sense to me and my game. I watched a whole bunch of guys try it and not a lot of success.

You have more restraint than I do. You've also gotten way better than me since we first met! I should learn something from this, but I probably won't.

Back