I LOVE the Pro M blades, I'm really tempted to buy myself a set of their blades. I prefer the gunmetal finish, but wouldn't mind gaming either finish. I demo'd the CBs last October, loved how they felt, but I wanted the blades and they didn't have them.

WWW.GOLFIO.COM - CLOSEOUTS NOW FOR AROUND 330 BRAND NEW!

The AP2's really interest me (Ben Curtis, proud greater Cleveland Native, plays them), but they are a grand for the set. Ouch

3BALLS.COM

They currently have two sets, listed as very good... 4-PW for 580

ATJ,
You should ask our THP Teaching professional his thoughts of the AP2's. He chose them and played them for a few months. He then switched when he got to hit 4-5 other brands. And he is a Titleist staffer.

WWW.GOLFIO.COM - CLOSEOUTS NOW FOR AROUND 330 BRAND NEW!

3BALLS.COM

They currently have two sets, listed as very good... 4-PW for 580

DD I'm finally getting a debit card and I can set up a PayPal account and you are tempting me to become a club ho!

Be careful 907. You seem to be playing extremely well. Trying many different clubs does not help things. Trust me on this.

Be careful 907. You seem to be playing extremely well. Trying many different clubs does not help things. Trust me on this.

I love my ZB's, and I don't want to switch, but DD is making it very very hard! :laugh:

No really though, the only thing I'll pick up is putters, I love my putters. Oh and reshafting things.

I know for me I went with blades for a couple of reasons. I love the look and feel very confident looking down on the thin clean top line. The biggest reason I made the change is that they are easier to work that traditional players clubs. I had a hard time playing low shots with the players irons and have no trouble at all with the blades. For me the arc blades are the best irons I have ever hit and that is why I put them in my bag.

Well said and that is pretty much where I stand on this issue. I love the look at address of a blade with the thin topline and not much offset. I just feel (and my coach agrees) that I set up much better to a blade type club. And todays baldes are not as hard to hit as everyone thinks they are. To that point though I feel blades do give the best feedback and since I am someone who is working hard on my ball striking and trying to improve to the level of playing high level Amatuer events I require that feedback. I also just LOVE the way a blade feels when you crisp it off a tight lie!!!:cool:

And I have not lost any distance since switching from a players cavity back iron (PING I10). One last thing in reference to my earlier statement about todays blades not as hard to hit as some might think...my coach has a real old Wilson #1 iron and he brought it to the range one day as I was trying to hit it. I kept hitting it right on the sweet spot but the ball just would not get up in the air (carry about 190-200). He explained that was becuase of the design on the older blades (where the weight is on the club as compared to my Titleist ZM blades) and the difference in todays golf ball versus a Balata ball. He proved it by teeing it up and I started crisping this thing with a carry of 230-240. It made me realize that there is a lot of technology in todays blades and they are not just a hunk of metal that everyone thinks is hard to hit...just my 2 cents...:cool:

Last edited:
I fell for the “use a players club to get better” theory and it worked for me. I went from using X-12’s, cavity, offset (8.8 handicap) to Hogan Edge Pros, smaller cavity, less offset (4.8 handicap). What I found is that my swing got more consistent and ball striking improved. Also my distance control improved greatly. Perhaps it was the X-12’s but it seemed like there was a hot spot on those irons. Also much easier to work the ball with the Hogans, especially being in windy conditions here in Hawaii.

Perhaps its like practicing putting into a 8” hole. You can get away with a more inconsistent putting stroke. Versus practicing putting into a 3” hole. It forces you to make a better stroke.

Perhaps its like practicing putting into a 8” hole. You can get away with a more inconsistent putting stroke. Versus practicing putting into a 3” hole. It forces you to make a better stroke.

i agree with this. at least for the putting part. it really does work. i am trying to get the superintendent at my club to put at least one 3" hole on the practice green because i have found them to improve the stroke like you say.

i am also going to switch back to my mp32's. believe it or not the heads are bigger than the i10's. the only difference will be is that where i had 3-pw i10, i will have 3-5 mp62 and 6-pw mp32

Well said and that is pretty much where I stand on this issue. I love the look at address of a blade with the thin topline and not much offset. I just feel (and my coach agrees) that I set up much better to a blade type club. And todays baldes are not as hard to hit as everyone thinks they are. To that point though I feel blades do give the best feedback and since I am someone who is working hard on my ball striking and trying to improve to the level of playing high level Amatuer events I require that feedback. I also just LOVE the way a blade feels when you crisp it off a tight lie!!!:cool:

And I have not lost any distance since switching from a players cavity back iron (PING I10). One last thing in reference to my earlier statement about todays blades not as hard to hit as some might think...my coach has a real old Wilson #1 iron and he brought it to the range one day as I was trying to hit it. I kept hitting it right on the sweet spot but the ball just would not get up in the air (carry about 190-200). He explained that was becuase of the design on the older blades (where the weight is on the club as compared to my Titleist ZM blades) and the difference in todays golf ball versus a Balata ball. He proved it by teeing it up and I started crisping this thing with a carry of 230-240. It made me realize that there is a lot of technology in todays blades and they are not just a hunk of metal that everyone thinks is hard to hit...just my 2 cents...:cool:

I agree with you on many points here- especially that today's blades aren't crazy hard to hit.

I'd agree that muscle back blades of today are more forgiving than ever and if you prefer them over cb's than go for it.......remember this game is all about confidence!!

Right now I play a GI irons if/when I improve my ballstriking I may switch to a player's iron most likely a cavity back..... but thats just me.

This'll give you guys a good laugh.
I sold my Scratch combo set a couple of weeks ago and am not debating between three sets in my garage.
1- MacGregor Tour VIP CB92's
2- Wilson Staff, 1971 Button-Back model
3- 70's-ish Maxfli Australian Blades

Not an easy swinging club in that selection, eh? Should make for some stinging fingers and keep it interesting for a while. I have always been a blade player, but looking down at the 3-irons, last night gave me chills, LOL.
Wish me luck,
LaMont in AZ
Blades Rule.....................or is it Blades make you drool.............or Blades can make you look a fool................or Blades, more like a tool? Anyway, it'll be an adventure.

This'll give you guys a good laugh.
I sold my Scratch combo set a couple of weeks ago and am not debating between three sets in my garage.
1- MacGregor Tour VIP CB92's
2- Wilson Staff, 1971 Button-Back model
3- 70's-ish Maxfli Australian Blades

Not an easy swinging club in that selection, eh? Should make for some stinging fingers and keep it interesting for a while. I have always been a blade player, but looking down at the 3-irons, last night gave me chills, LOL.
Wish me luck,
LaMont in AZ
Blades Rule.....................or is it Blades make you drool.............or Blades can make you look a fool................or Blades, more like a tool? Anyway, it'll be an adventure.

wow, those are some serious butter knives you have to choose from. if these are what the Macgregors you have look like, personally id have to go with those. GOOD LUCK!
PS
why did you sell your combo set? was it the AR-1's and some blades?

2070_1.JPG

That set you pictured is the exact set I have in the garage. They are in great shape, even have the original grips..........realized that too late, last week. I took a quick look, the night before playing and realized I didn't have a set of replacement grips on-hand. I tried to rough them up with a Scotch-brite pad, but it wasn't enough. Made for an interesting round, needless to say.
My Scratch was a set that was custom ordered with CB's 3-7-iron and SB's for the 8-PW. They were ultra-sweet, but I got bored. I do that, from time to time and purge some pretty sweet sticks. I never really warmed up to the look of the 8-iron, either. It had sort of a rectangular shape to it and just never looked good to my eye. I believe they were custom shaped for a previous owner, so that might have been what that individual was looking for.
I kept my Tour Dept wedges, for sure, though.
Time will tell what winds up in my bag.
I may just list all three sets on a BST and keep the one that is left after 2 sets sell, LOL.
Who really knows.
LaMont in AZ

I have Nickent ARC blades and 08 Taylormade tour burner sets.

I use ARC blades during practice - yes, I can feel and tell how I hit the ball each time much better.
and use tour burner irons when I actually play a round

I just read through this entire thread and I am appalled that so many people think the choice to use blades is "ego driven".

I play blades and it is not ego, it just so happens that I hit blades better. I have only been playing about 10 years and my first decent set were MaxFli Revolution irons. They were a slight cavity back club with a thin topline and minimal offset. I learned on those and hit them well.

I tried several different cavity backs but just never did hit them as well as I did the MaxFli's. I decided to look for a club with the same features as the MaxFli's and I ended up with blades. I bought two different sets, Tommy Armours and Titleists and tried them both out. I settled on the TA's because the Titliests felt a bit heavy headed to me. Again, not ego, just preference and something that worked.

I believe the GI irons can help if you hit the ball offcenter by losing less yardage and not going offline quite as far. Blades will tell you and show you how poorly you really hit it because it will lose lots of distance and go way off line.

There is no perfect club for every player, that is why there are so many different styles on the market. To blame my selection on ego is insulting and inaccurate. I don't care what clubs anyone plays, that is their choice and I have no intention of making value judgements about their reasons.

I just read through this entire thread and I am appalled that so many people think the choice to use blades is "ego driven".

I play blades and it is not ego, it just so happens that I hit blades better. I have only been playing about 10 years and my first decent set were MaxFli Revolution irons. They were a slight cavity back club with a thin topline and minimal offset. I learned on those and hit them well.

I tried several different cavity backs but just never did hit them as well as I did the MaxFli's. I decided to look for a club with the same features as the MaxFli's and I ended up with blades. I bought two different sets, Tommy Armours and Titleists and tried them both out. I settled on the TA's because the Titliests felt a bit heavy headed to me. Again, not ego, just preference and something that worked.

I believe the GI irons can help if you hit the ball offcenter by losing less yardage and not going offline quite as far. Blades will tell you and show you how poorly you really hit it because it will lose lots of distance and go way off line.

There is no perfect club for every player, that is why there are so many different styles on the market. To blame my selection on ego is insulting and inaccurate. I don't care what clubs anyone plays, that is their choice and I have no intention of making value judgements about their reasons.
Bingo! Each golfer should play what works for them. If it's a blade, fine. If it's an ultra game improvement iron, that's fine too.

The bottom line? The golf course does not care what equipment you play, just how many strokes it takes to work your way around.

agree. play what works for you. hell, my 98 year old grandfather plays blades! he's used them all his life. and i love those Nickent Arc Blades btw.

I like the feel better than my CB's I've used for 12 years. Last year I became a frequent player for the first time and I try to practice once per week now. I bought blade heads and I prefer the sharp turf interaction. I just feel like I strike it better and I prefer the cutting look at address. That's just me. I think the synthesis of components in any iron set can make or break a player's confidence.

Last edited:
lately I have been practicing with mixed set.
3, 4, 5 - TM tour burner
6, 7, 8, 9, P - Nickent ARC blades

I have to say this so far is working really well

Because they look so good sitting in the bag.

Because they look so good sitting in the bag.

Honestly though. I'm playing the Srixon z-tx irons after switching last November from the TM Tour Preferred. Before that I played Ping I-3's. I haven't noticed a huge drop in the forgiveness, of course my ball striking has improved tremendously. Niether the Srixons or the TMs are really true blades though.

David

lately I have been practicing with mixed set.
3, 4, 5 - TM tour burner
6, 7, 8, 9, P - Nickent ARC blades

I have to say this so far is working really well

Several really good players I know have played mixed sets. Cavity backs in the longer irons and more blade-like clubs in the shorter irons. Most of them make the break at the 5 or 6 iron. Tommy Armour made a set they called "Morph" irons that utilized that concept and I think the Nike Pro Combo were the same.

Re: Why Blades?

my favorite iron set in the rotation is the mp67/mp60 combo. every few rounds I pull them out and nothing ever beats the feel of those babies. when my swing is dialed in....nothing beats the performance.

i could seriously use a set of Cleveland cg1's in black pearl. I lust for them.

my favorite iron set in the rotation is the mp67/mp60 combo. every few rounds I pull them out and nothing ever beats the feel of those babies. when my swing is dialed in....nothing beats the performance.

i could seriously use a set of Cleveland cg1's in black pearl. I lust for them.

My younger salesman just bought a set. They are very sweet clubs and he is hitting them really well. I may have to rethink the TA Silver Scot forged blades I am playing if he keeps playing this well.

I actually switched from blades the past four years, to a semi-cavity.

I have played a mix of the following blades these past years:
Nike Forged Blades x2 (different shaft combos)
Titleist 690MB...I think the right ones
TaylorMade TP MB Coin Forged
TaylorMade TP MB Smoke

I always LOVED the look of the blades. Similar appearance brand to brand as well.

Lately (last six months) I have been tweaking with semi-cavity irons and mixed sets:
Nike Pro Combo x2 (different shaft combos)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 2009
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 2005
Mizuno MP60 (current gamers)

I have acheived a fair medium...a GREAT looking golf club, mixed with just the SLIGHTEST bit of ease of hitting. The feel of a solid forged club, a thin topline, and a more forgiving clubhead...has made me so happy.

Since switching to my MP60's, my past four rounds have been 70, 69, 68, 70...and I'm happy. Picking up another set of Mizuno's, and another backup set of MP60's if possible.

I actually switched from blades the past four years, to a semi-cavity.

I have played a mix of the following blades these past years:
Nike Forged Blades x2 (different shaft combos)
Titleist 690MB...I think the right ones
TaylorMade TP MB Coin Forged
TaylorMade TP MB Smoke

I always LOVED the look of the blades. Similar appearance brand to brand as well.

Lately (last six months) I have been tweaking with semi-cavity irons and mixed sets:
Nike Pro Combo x2 (different shaft combos)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 2009
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 2005
Mizuno MP60 (current gamers)

I have acheived a fair medium...a GREAT looking golf club, mixed with just the SLIGHTEST bit of ease of hitting. The feel of a solid forged club, a thin topline, and a more forgiving clubhead...has made me so happy.

Since switching to my MP60's, my past four rounds have been 70, 69, 68, 70...and I'm happy. Picking up another set of Mizuno's, and another backup set of MP60's if possible.

wow... that's a lot of potatos to fork out.. I thought I spent good money to have what I have in my set, back up..

Back