jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Going into the Bridgestone I played a lot of golf to prepare on many different course to get used to different speed Greens.

Most of my rounds were with old friends and we play $.50 skins or teams for a couple of dollars, no big money bets just something to make it interesting. I have always been a streaky Putter and my normal fix was to get a new putter, sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Well the last month or more leading into last weekend I have been putting fantastic, a lot of one putts and rarely a 3 putt. This past weekend on very nice and not overly fast greens, I could not make anything. Now I take into account the nerves and all, but after the 1st few holes that went away and should not have been an issue. It seemed the harder I tried to concentrate and get the line /speed the worst it got.

Has anyone else experienced this? is it common to being in a big THP event to be either real hot or cold?

It's very common for thp events. We all tend to grip it a little harder.

Plus, some days you have have it. Some days you don't. Golf is hard

Jim I think it's like that in golf not just THP events. I will have days where I can't make anything and others where I feel I can't make everything. Some times I think it comes back to a putt that either destroys or boosts your confidence

It seemed the harder I tried to concentrate and get the line /speed the worst it got.

There's your problem. By focusing on it too much, you're bringing your conscious mind into it and getting to mechanical. Need to stop thinking about it so much and just roll the putts.

I'll take a page from ATLGolfer's book and tell you to read Unconscious Putting. That's a philosophy that I think makes a lot of sense for that aspect of the game - no thinking, just putting.

But yes, there's definitely a tendency to get cold in big spots. I needed 2 putts to win a match, 3 putts to get my match to dormie at the Morgan Cup, and 4 putted what would normally be a reasonably easy 2 putt for me. Just straight up overthought everything.

Thanks for the replies, We needed one putt to get #outingapproved and had a 4-5 ft for par on 18 and pulled it 1" for the miss.

Seemed like that was the trend all weekend, still a great time but I felt sorry for my partner missing all those putts that could have made us more competitive overall. I have used that Zen type putting (unconscious putting) method for years or I would have quit a long time ago.....maybe just unconsciously thinking about the event results too much.

Have to agree with the others. You want to play well at THP Events (we all do) but sometimes the old saying of "less is more" holds true. The harder you tried the smaller the hole got in your mind. It's easy to say, just relax and play your game, but that's what it comes down to.
Don't overthink it, or the extra pressure could cause a minor flaw to sneak in that's usually not there at your home course. Like Blu said, golf is hard.

Sounds like nerves to me.

Thanks for the replies, We needed one putt to get #outingapproved and had a 4-5 ft for par on 18 and pulled it 1" for the miss.

Seemed like that was the trend all weekend, still a great time but I felt sorry for my partner missing all those putts that could have made us more competitive overall. I have used that Zen type putting (unconscious putting) method for years or I would have quit a long time ago.....maybe just unconsciously thinking about the event results too much.
Could absolutely tell you were frustrated... Just one of those things but I know the feeling. Hell your partner missed a bunch of putts too, including on 18 lol. Today I made like 5 10-15 footers, don't think I made a single one at PGA.

Back