Moving To the Orlando Area

wessmiller13

Noonan
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 19.6
I am considering a job in the Orlando area and am curious what your guys thoughts are on where to live. Also good local courses to checkout would also be helpful. I appreciate any feedback.

Wes

Others will be able to help more, as my wife and I are no longer there. While it was not a favorite of ours to live, it offers fantastic golf.
We lived in Windermere and enjoyed parts of it.
Only other place we liked living wise was Celebration.

Others on THP live in many of the areas. Our home course was Grand Cypress.

Thanks JB any way you can correct my spelling on the the thread title, I am an idiot

Moving To the Orlando Area

What part of town will the job be? I4 is about to have a 6 year job break ground this month between maitland blvd and Kirkman. Commuting will be a pain for some time I am sure.

Last edited:
I am considering a job in the Orlando area and am curious what your guys thoughts are on where to live. Also good local courses to checkout would also be helpful. I appreciate any feedback.

Wes

As long as you come back home and visit, I say go for it. Just let me know if you need a Marmies hat before you take off. Swing by my office and I'll hook you up.

Winter Park, Rollins area
Windermere, Dr Phillips, College Park, Weikiva, and Oviedo all have nice areas.

Do you have kids in grade school? Orlando high schools offers some great magnet programs that focus on various areas. I am partial to Edgewater EST program.

Job will be west coast, primarily traveling to Tampa/St Pete. The Territory will be expanding eastward as it develops. Supervisor says Orlando area would be best. We have been looking at Windermere, Winter Haven, Clermont and Celebration. Not sure if Winter Haven is too far west but still considering for the short term

What part of town will the job be? I4 is about to have a 6 year job break ground this month between mainland blvd and Kirkman. Commuting will be a pain for some time I am sure.

Lots of great areas here in Orlando to live in, comes down to where your job will be and what kind of $$ you are willing to spend. I live in Ocoee, a small town just west of Orlando and love the area. Winter Garden is the town next to us and has a very hometown feel to it as well. As for golf courses, there are plenty of great courses to play and there are several THP'ers in the Orlando area that would love to tee it up with you I'm sure. Freddie Kong aka The Panda lives over closer to the airport and loves it over there as well.

Kids are little 4 and 1 so schools will be important in the decision, wife is also a teacher

Winter Park, Rollins area
Windermere, Dr Phillips, College Park, Weikiva, and Oviedo all have nice areas.

Do you have kids in grade school? Orlando high schools offers some great magnet programs that focus on various areas. I am partial to Edgewater EST program.

Last edited:
Job will be west coast, primarily traveling to Tampa/St Pete. The Territory will be expanding eastward as it develops. Supervisor says Orlando area would be best. We have been looking at Windermere, Winter Haven, Clermont and Celebration. Not sure if Winter Haven is too far west but still considering for the short term

Clermont is a growing area for sure, again it just depends on how much driving you want to do. Lakeland is a pretty nice area as well and is pretty much in the middle between Tampa and Orlando along the I4 corridor.

Clermont is a very nice area that is growing quick. I am in the UCF area (Avalon Park community). It is nice, but traffic is a nightmare. I would check zillow and some other sites and see schools with your kids. Mine are 2.5 and 1 so I am really looking in to schools as well for my next move. There are tons of courses throughout Orlando though so golf won't be an issue for you.

i live in the poor man's college park. i grew up in orlando, went to school in birmingham and moved back to pursue my masters and start my career.

i have LOTS of thoughts about the orlando and greater orlando area, but i'll try to keep this as short as possible.

if you're in sales, and you don't go to the same office every day, you can live wherever you want. so do you want more of a downtown feel, with decent public schools and access to most of the more cultural aspects of orlando? if so, consider the conway area, or college park. just remember that the closer you get to downtown, the higher you're going to pay per sq ft and the less land you're going to get. depending on your budget, you aren't likely to get much back yard for your kids to play. if you want more land, you can move out to oviedo/winter garden/clermont. my biggest gripe with some of those parts is that they're developer neighborhoods with a lot of houses that look the same. that's not important to some people, and that also means you're likely getting new(er) construction. traffic from there to downtown is really rough, but those areas are all growing in such a way that they are nice little pockets that are relatively self-sustaining. winter garden would be my recommendation. the windermere area is pretty with lots of lakes, but it can get really pricey. celebration/disney is nice for kids, but again pricey. kissimmee is a nice compromise for the celebration/disney area and is also really pretty, but it gets a little red around the neck if you know what i mean!

look into lake mary, maitland and pockets of winter park. they can get pricey too, but there's more of a "neighborhood" feel to me.

as far as golf, the closer you get to downtown the less options you have. winter garden has orange county national and stoneybrook west. windermere has a few options.

good luck!

Thank you all for your input. I will be down there with my wife this weekend to do some looking around. No time for golf though

The up and coming area of Orlando is lake nona. Great school district and easy access to 417 which a dumps you onto the interstate for an easy trip to tampa.

Windermere also has great schools and easy access to the interstate off of 535.

Winter park is nice as well but getting through traffic stinks. You may also want to look at Lakeland if your are traveling between the Orlando and tampa

I lived in Celebration several years ago. I made the mistake of living in Kissimmee many years later. Celebration is great.

Well its not official yet but we will have everything finalized by Monday, Oct 13. We will be moving down to the area between Nov 1 and Jan 1, I have some training to get done so family will likely stay behind until the holidays.

While looking over the area my wife really liked the Minneola/Clermont area. We are planning on renting for at least the first 6 months until we figure out where for sure we want to be then find a home to buy. If anybody has any recommendations on a good Real Estate Agent that can work with us through the rental process, then the buying process, would love some names.

Thanks again for everyone's input and I look forward to possibly golfing with a few of you in the future.

Wes

Well its not official yet but we will have everything finalized by Monday, Oct 13. We will be moving down to the area between Nov 1 and Jan 1, I have some training to get done so family will likely stay behind until the holidays.

While looking over the area my wife really liked the Minneola/Clermont area. We are planning on renting for at least the first 6 months until we figure out where for sure we want to be then find a home to buy. If anybody has any recommendations on a good Real Estate Agent that can work with us through the rental process, then the buying process, would love some names.

Thanks again for everyone's input and I look forward to possibly golfing with a few of you in the future.

Wes

Contact THPer Mward. He is fantastic and will be glad to help you. So knowledgeable and incredibly easy to work with.

Back