Do You Keep Track Of Carry Distance?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Working on the range this week with a few golfers and some different drivers, we were working with the launch monitor and measuring many stats including carry distance. Each of them remarked that they usually only look at total distance, which I find to be a stat that has too many variables.

So my question to you guys is, do you look at carry distance when looking at clubs?

The toughest part of doing so is the conditions of the range ball in which I forced to use. I do get a pretty solid ballpark idea.

Yes, definitely,though it is less high tech than being able to use a monitor. My favorite range has markers at 105, 145, 175, 200, 250 and is slightly sloped uphill so there often isn't that much roll out, so I'm usually more aware of where the ball landed than where it finishes.

Working on the range this week with a few golfers and some different drivers, we were working with the launch monitor and measuring many stats including carry distance. Each of them remarked that they usually only look at total distance, which I find to be a stat that has too many variables.

So my question to you guys is, do you look at carry distance when looking at clubs?

I often use my wife or brother in law on the range to record average carry distance when trying new clubs on the range. Truth is, mine has stayed more less the same for several years with the longest clubs I own.

It's definitely one of the more difficult things to track. With that being said I need to make a better effort in doing so.

How are most tracking this? Layering the approximate landing area?

I look at carry when I'm going through a few drivers at the local golf store. I'm pretty much locked in at the 190 - 200 yard carry with most drivers. I have nutted up a couple that carry in the 225 yard range but those are rare these days.

I do when I have the ability to monitor it. I don't tinker alot so I don't care too much but would be nice to be able to when I wanted

When I'm hitting with some type of monitor or sim I only look at carry and back spin. Carry travels to any course.

I care more about carry than total, carry travels, you can never count on rollout

I care more about carry than total, carry travels, you can never count on rollout

This is exactly what I was thinking. Carry distance is important to know what club to hit and how to manage the course

I only concern myself with carry distance combined with the flight of the ball.

I track carry with my irons more so than with my driver and fairways. My thinking is that I don't try to carry something off of the tee if it is going to be that close to my comfortable range. Irons I am trying to hit a specific distance into a green, so I pay a bit more attention to the exact number, an extra five yards carry with a driver isn't usually a bad thing, an extra five yards on an eight iron approach can be bad.

I NEED to KNOW what a well struck ball will carry.

That said, I NEED to know distances of hazards also.

Never count on rollout.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Carry distance is important to know what club to hit and how to manage the course

It's why I love THP events on the east coast, people's Internet yardages tend to come back to reality. :alien:

Always carry for me, although that's not exactly a hard thing to accomplish unless I am playing on a concrete slab. The first thing I do if I am measuring length is seek out my divot.

It's why I love THP events on the east coast, people's Internet yardages tend to come back to reality. :alien:

Fixed. The geography teacher forgot his map directions.

I blame the sick I have going on today. Barf. Literally.

When choosing a club I always think carry distance first. Im within 5yds for every club.

Being a shorter hitter, I only care about carry distance with all clubs, when testing drivers and different shaft combos I only look at carry and spin....the courses I generally play are usually dewy / wet in the early morning so rollout is not something I get a lot of.....

I try to track carry distances. But I'm not good enough to hit a consistent yardage with every swing.

I try to have a good idea of what club gets me yardages to be safe. I'm not ashamed to club up.

I also don't believe that location has any influence on reality.

how do accurately track carry distance

how do accurately track carry distance

as New Golfer golfer i immediately figured out that I needed to know what my carry distances are with my clubs, because they sure are nowhere close to what other golfers get with theirs. So the question then became, how do I do that? I have a nice spreadsheet to track the average distances that i got from a website, and took to the range to hit about 10 balls with each club, so as to get a nice average with each. But from the practice tee it is impossible to get accurate distances because the markers are only at 100, 150, 160, 200, and 240. so I am 100% sure of my cary distance with my clubs that go those distances, but the in-between clubs its a crap shoot.

So now I am thinking of taking to my father-in-law's place with a nice, long back yard, about 300 yards deep, and hit balls with my clubs, then walk the distances and mark them with my GPS, so that I know exactly my carry distances with my clubs, specially my scoring irons and wedges, because right now, it is just an educated guess, and that doesn't instill a lot of confidence on those approach shots, or when I am trying to figure out if that stream going across the fairway is something I have to worry about with my next shot.

Try it out. Let us know how it helps you progress.

I think carry distance is the most important number to be honest. Like you said total distance can be a large variable and there is no true way to calculate it. When I am testing a new driver or shaft in my current gamer, I only look at carry distance to determine if it will be better to make the switch or not.

I have an idea of carry distance. Certainly need to have it when going over a water hazard, bunker or trying to land on front of green. I'm not completely accurate though so tend to go a half club longer when having that force carry to make sure I get over it.

I do on course where they have GPS. it will usually tell how far to carry a bunker or tree so I gauge it from there

Back