Do You Keep Track Of Carry Distance?

Carry is an important factor with all clubs for me because I use it when choosing a club for each shot. Total distance is usually something I like to know in case I have some trouble off the tee and don't want to roll into it.

I only pay attention to carry distance.

This is the exact reason I have the SC100. For Carry Distance.

Carry distance is the most important thing I try and keep note of. Mainly using it for Par 3's where the carry distance is absolutely important to making par.

Carry distance is more important to me. Overall is important too but that is only an issue for me if distance with a club is all carry. Basically, as long as the ball isn't dropping out of the sky, I'm good.

Wrt forced carries and biting off angles to fairways with forced carries, I want to know what I can comfortably handle.

Carry distance is more important than total distance. I use Trackman to determine carry when I am at my lessons.
If I don't know how far I can carry a club, what point is it to know how far to clear a bunker/water/wash area?

When I had the means to do so, I did. I don't much, if any roll out, so it makes it easier to keep tabs on.

Nope, I know my total distance is around 268 right now and that's the number I manage my tee game by, left or right for more or less.

Carry distance is all I worry about since roll out varies by condition

I know all my iron distances spot on but never really paid attention to my driver. If it brings in trouble I don't need I club down . I never like trying to carry hazards off the tee if it's questionable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had a launch monitor I would figure out my carry distances on every club.
Since I don't have that kind of disposable income, I have to stick with knowing my iron carries.

Most range sessions I won't hit more than 6 drivers and at least half of my range sessions I don't hit any driver. Driving the ball is my biggest strength so I rarely work on it, other parts of my game are always worse than my tee shots. My carry distance with a driver has been nearly the same for more than a decade. I know I can comfortably carry a 255 yard hazard with a well struck driver but a 265 carry is very, very difficult unless it's downhill and/or downwind.

I think my next purchase will be a cheap GPS unit to track distance off the tee properly.

Maybe an SC100 would do the trick? It would be mainly for the range though.

Carry travels, roll out doesn't depending on conditions. I enjoy knowing the number I can count on and not a number I'm hoping for.

Carry travels, roll out doesn't depending on conditions. I enjoy knowing the number I can count on and not a number I'm hoping for.

Truth.

The notion that different locales don't vary in this cracks me up. Living where I live, I see it all the time. Its why its funny to watch people from this area go play in FL/SC/ETC for the first time and their 260 is suddenly 210. I learned that quickly, carry never lies.

Where you play, or at least time of year, has a huge effect on driver distance. Coming from the PNW in the spring I actually gained a ton of rollout going to Florida, which was quite nice. Going to Palm Springs I gained a ton of yardage off the tee just purely based on bounce and roll.
Up here you can hit a low stinger than will hit once and plug 8 months of the year.

I think my next purchase will be a cheap GPS unit to track distance off the tee properly.

Maybe an SC100 would do the trick? It would be mainly for the range though.

It works well.

sc100_01.jpg

Truth.

The notion that different locales don't vary in this cracks me up. Living where I live, I see it all the time. Its why its funny to watch people from this area go play in FL/SC/ETC for the first time and their 260 is suddenly 210. I learned that quickly, carry never lies.
My question is, which one is correct? The carry back home. Or the carry in Florida?

I've always assumed that a fitting should be done in a vacuum of sorts. But, on the same line, not too many people can have fits for multiple locations.

My question is, which one is correct? The carry back home. Or the carry in Florida?

I've always assumed that a fitting should be done in a vacuum of sorts. But, on the same line, not too many people can have fits for multiple locations.

Carry is carry. I don't need a fit for multiple locations, I want to maximize my carry period. By doing so, I have seen that I can go and play anywhere with no concerns. I see no point in switching to line drives here to say I hit the ball 290 or whatever with copious amounts of roll, carry doesn't lie.

Carry is carry. I don't need a fit for multiple locations, I want to maximize my carry period. By doing so, I have seen that I can go and play anywhere with no concerns. I see no point in switching to line drives here to say I hit the ball 290 or whatever with copious amounts of roll, carry doesn't lie.
Very true. I agree that carry is king. how do we get that knowledge? It almost has to be done on a launch monitor. Not everybody has that availability. Sometimes people only have access to overall distance.

With most of my clubs, the carry distance and total distance are pretty close to one another.

Very true. I agree that carry is king. how do we get that knowledge? It almost has to be done on a launch monitor. Not everybody has that availability. Sometimes people only have access to overall distance.

I really don't agree with that, there are methods other than a monitor, but some simply don't want to put out that effort, and that is fine.

Carry is all I look at. Roll out is great, but I never get too much. Plus, as James has stated, don't have to worry about traveling. Adjust my minimum carry for comfort and let it fly. I don't have the skill set to adjust flight with confidence so I just get comfortable with the changes and go.

Yes / everything except the driver . Once you know your real distances , you can play aiming golf . My driver is my issue it varies from 247 to 261 of a high . Irons and hybrids are somewhat consistent

Truth.

Call me confused. The ball travels less in FL/SC than in Oklahoma??? Isn't Oklahoma only about 1200 feet of elevation? I'm very aware that elevation matters when it comes to carry distance, but humidity only effects the carry of a golf ball a negligible amount. Humid air is lighter than dry air and allows the golf ball to travel a minuscule amount farther - maybe 1/2 yard of carry. Temperature and altitude have a much greater effect on carry distance. I usually figure 7-10% at 1 mile elevation vs. sea level. Shorter irons are affected more than long clubs by elevation because they have more backspin.

Back