Do You Keep Track Of Carry Distance?

Call me confused. The ball travels less in FL/SC than in Oklahoma??? Isn't Oklahoma only about 1200 feet of elevation? I'm very aware that elevation matters when it comes to carry distance, but humidity only effects the carry of a golf ball a negligible amount. Humid air is lighter than dry air and allows the golf ball to travel a minuscule amount farther - maybe 1/2 yard of carry. Temperature and altitude have a much greater effect on carry distance. I usually figure 7-10% at 1 mile elevation vs. sea level. Shorter irons are affected more than long clubs by elevation because they have more backspin.

Yes - but dried/burnt fairways with lots of roll adds a lot to a short carry.

Call me confused. The ball travels less in FL/SC than in Oklahoma??? Isn't Oklahoma only about 1200 feet of elevation? I'm very aware that elevation matters when it comes to carry distance, but humidity only effects the carry of a golf ball a negligible amount. Humid air is lighter than dry air and allows the golf ball to travel a minuscule amount farther - maybe 1/2 yard of carry. Temperature and altitude have a much greater effect on carry distance. I usually figure 7-10% at 1 mile elevation vs. sea level. Shorter irons are affected more than long clubs by elevation because they have more backspin.

You're misunderstanding my point, which is carry travels EVERYWHERE. Here in OK/TX/ETC, we play a LOT of hardpan fairways which leads to many seeing their low line drive tee balls running out forever, then when they travel east where the roll is NOT as significant those low liners are killers, whereas the max carries play everywhere.

I know close to what mine are, but they are rounded to the nearest even number. I got them about 6 months ago after multiple sessions on trackman. I need to get back on a monitor. I don't have a laser so I rely on the clubs measured distances to range pins.

One thing I've noticed is that where better players and pros start to get 12-15 yard gaps (or more) on their longer irons, I'm almost exactly 10 yards per club across my iron set. The wedges are a little more spaced out though. And I'm not consistent enough with my 3w or Driver to come up with a number.

Simply no. I truthfully don't care how far I can carry the ball with my driver as long as I can get myself in the position I want off the tee. When it comes to my irons I have come up with three pretty consistent distances for each club. I know what my full, three-quarter and have swim carry distance are.

Back