Today pretty much sums it up

robmypro

Reaction score
I decided to play 9 today since golf is pretty much an obsession. In so many ways today was a perfect example of my game, and how I feel about golf in general. We played the Meadows course at Fox Hollow, teeing off at 4:20. First, we were paired up with a really cool couple. More on that later, but I will say that playing with fun people makes all the difference.

First hole is a par 5, and I almost chipped in for eagle. Never even sniffed an eagle before, and that baby lipped out. Still, a birdie (the 2nd of my career) felt awesome, and it was a great way to start. Along the way I had some good drives with Bertha, but I didn't even have a par heading to the 9th.

The 9th is a 366 yard par 4. I hit my tee shot within 20 yards of the green. The guy we played with goes to me "Rob, I play this course every week, and I have never seen anyone hit it this close. You are in Rory territory here." I laughed it off, but he said "hey, I am serious. That was incredible." So I look at him and say thanks, but I will probably bogey. He laughs.And then I proceed to double bogey the hole.

How do you hit a shot like that and take 5 more shots to put it in the hole? On a few other holes i sunk long putts to bogey, or chipped and one putt for double. And that is really my game right now. Completely inconsistent. Sometimes my tee shots are awesome. Sometimes my putting is really good. But rarely does everything come together at once, let alone for 9 or 18 holes.

We actually went for drinks with the couple we played with, and it looks like we are going to play together next Sunday. That is such an awesome aspect to golf. The social element is the best. While we are eating the guy tells me that I hit some really amazing shots, and that he thought I had a chance to be really good. Yet I card a 9 on one hole and always had some aspect of my game letting me down. I literally only put one hole together.

It is such a strange game. I can be brilliant and terrible on the same hole, and go back and forth literally shot by shot. But I have never had such a good time sucking like this.

And that is my game right now. It is fun. Incredibly challenging. And totally unpredictable.

Last edited:
I'm the same way. I have a tour level swing with my driver and when it's working, I can hit drives in the 350 range mostly straight down the fairway. Then, I chip it 30 foot past the hole and 3 putt my way to bogey or double. I usually have my best days with my irons when I am slicing my drives into the woods. I don't know if I just put less pressure on myself because I figure I am not going to score well when my driving is bad, but it usually levels out. I definitely feel your pain though. I'm lucky to get a birdie every couple of rounds, usually mix in 4 or 5 pars, and a handful of bogeys; with hopefully no doubles and triples, though that's a tough one. Of course, if we were all consistent, it'd be too easy. All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

I'm the same way. I have a tour level swing with my driver and when it's working, I can hit drives in the 350 range mostly straight down the fairway. Then, I chip it 30 foot past the hole and 3 putt my way to bogey or double. I usually have my best days with my irons when I am slicing my drives into the woods. I don't know if I just put less pressure on myself because I figure I am not going to score well when my driving is bad, but it usually levels out. I definitely feel your pain though. I'm lucky to get a birdie every couple of rounds, usually mix in 4 or 5 pars, and a handful of bogeys; with hopefully no doubles and triples, though that's a tough one. Of course, if we were all consistent, it'd be too easy. All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

Glad I am not alone! lol. The strange thing is that I do not have a super fast swing speed. I think mid 90's. I am 5-7 so not a big guy at all, and still I outdrive almost everyone I play with. And I am 51. No idea why. Heck, it could be Bertha! But I can also uncork some really terrible shots that make you think I had never played before. It is just a pretty strange situation, tbh.

Being inconsistent is one thing. Looking really good one minute and terrible the next, and doing it with the same shots...just strange.

I had a notable round this year that was just like that. Over the last 3 years hitting fairways has been my biggest weakness by far. I had an incredible day and hit 11 of 14 of them, and I managed to still shoot a 91. I would either duff approach shots and that's my biggest strength, or hit awful wedge shots and 3 putt. It almost seemed like a culture shock for me to be in a fairway consistently, I feel I should have flirted with a personal best; instead I shot 4 over my handicap.

But that's why we play the game.

I think we have all been there at some stage or other....hitting that good tee shot to be followed by making a mess of a simple chip which then ruins the score for that hole

I was there yesterday at times, but the opposite way round....it was partly my own fault for letting the group behind us get on my nerves as they were almost hitting in to us despite us (a 4-ball) keeping up with a 2-ball group in front.

Par 5 5th hole, I rushed my tee shot, topped itabout 75yds, then due to the bad lie I topped the next 2 shots, so I was still a good 250yds+ from the green and blocked out by trees, so I played a 6i to leave myself with a wedge into the green. I hit the wedge which left me with about 15ft for a bogey and I promptly sank the putt to walk off and put a 6 on the card.....golf is such a strange game at times, but it doesn't matter how you get there, it is the final score that counts

I think we have all been there at some stage or other....hitting that good tee shot to be followed by making a mess of a simple chip which then ruins the score for that hole

I was there yesterday at times, but the opposite way round....it was partly my own fault for letting the group behind us get on my nerves as they were almost hitting in to us despite us (a 4-ball) keeping up with a 2-ball group in front.

Par 5 5th hole, I rushed my tee shot, topped itabout 75yds, then due to the bad lie I topped the next 2 shots, so I was still a good 250yds+ from the green and blocked out by trees, so I played a 6i to leave myself with a wedge into the green. I hit the wedge which left me with about 15ft for a bogey and I promptly sank the putt to walk off and put a 6 on the card.....golf is such a strange game at times, but it doesn't matter how you get there, it is the final score that counts

Speaking of that i did have 2 or 3 shots that went my way. But on the last hole I am walking to my ball and the woman we were playing with was right behind me. She laughs and says hey I caught up with you. It only took 4 shots to your one. And we both double bogey. Distance sure can help you score, but without a short game it is absolutely no magic bullet. I proved that at least 3 times yesterday.

Having a tour level driver swing without a short game is pretty darn useless. Short game. Short game. Short game.

I fully admit my short game is not good (my HOTD video from the Gauntlet is evidence of that) but it has gotten better. It's amazing what 1 putts do for the score.

I know how u feel, I felt like I was reading about myself. I had a golf Vacation with 7 friends this past weekend and my scores were all over the place, 120, 105, and 100. The 100 was on the hardest course.... Go figure. I can't tell u how many good drives were ruined by fat iron shots, topped hybrids, and flubbed chips. Then I also can't tell u how many bad drives were saved by ridiculous iron/hybrid shots from ridiculous places.

This is exactly what keeps me coming back. The thought that one day, for just one day, it will all come together, and I'll walk off the 18th hole feeling like a champ.

Gonna try again this weekend. :)

Back