Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review james.
For me this one looks and performs much better than the Optiforce that was released around this time last year.
And I will totally agree with the above average distances on toe hits. I've hit my fair share of drivers this year and with the toe being my main miss it is comforting to swing a club that isn't so penal out there.

Nice review, James.

I really like the warbird sole plate on the v-series. It's a really cool throwback to a 20-year old design that still works.

I'm surprised to hear that the v-series is more forgiving than the BB, only because I found the BB incredibly forgiving.

I'll need to swing this one a few times.

Really well written and great info. Thanks James!

Good stuff. Really intrigued by this one. Hearing all the performance positives on this one, I don't know how you couldn't be excited to try it.

Nice review. I have to second the forgiveness aspect. This club is second only to my old square nike. It seems like you can hit all across the face and get playable distance out it.

Thanks for the review James. Definitely a good looking offering and while I may need a shaft change to avoid hitting it too high, the forgiveness across the face sounds really really good.

I've got no qualms with the release schedule and number of offerings, the ability to find the "right" fit for me is something I appreciate.

Thanks everyone, it definitely won't fit everyone (nothing does) but it does what it's intended to do for the spectrum it's aimed at. It is truly a launcher, 2 or so degrees higher than my Bertha in the exact same setup (loft and shaft).

Just like the optiforce, it's a fun head. Since there is no non 460cc option I'd really like to hit the 9.0 with the 565 just to compare.

Shazam, higher launch then Big bertha with marginal increase in spine, Wow! I have seen this is person and really like it. If it performs like the fairway wood, then it’s a can’t miss for me.

Mentioned earlier, but this was a big surprise for me. I wrote it off before hitting it for a number of reasons, but am glad I took some swings.

Another nice review, Jman. I'm assuming that the shafts are interchangeable between the Alpha, Bertha, etc, and V-Series?

Another nice review, Jman. I'm assuming that the shafts are interchangeable between the Alpha, Bertha, etc, and V-Series?

Absolutely they are!

More speed, more distance, forgiveness?

Yes please!

Great review as always James!

Thanks all.

Hawk needs one of these. Fact.

Don't let me down Nike Flex.

Another great review packed with tons of information as usual. Very interesting that you saw increased carry distance, but that should be expected given the engineering that went into making sure ball speeds were higher than the current Bertha lineup. In terms of the carry distance gained was it so much that it put you with different yardages you are used to seeing with your second shots? It's been discussed in another thread, but carry distance is huge for me and feel that is the only number that matters when trying to navigate a course.

Another great review packed with tons of information as usual. Very interesting that you saw increased carry distance, but that should be expected given the engineering that went into making sure ball speeds were higher than the current Bertha lineup. In terms of the carry distance gained was it so much that it put you with different yardages you are used to seeing with your second shots? It's been discussed in another thread, but carry distance is huge for me and feel that is the only number that matters when trying to navigate a course.

Just more carry vs what I saw in Bertha, not talking 17 yards or anything like that, but more carry vs rollout. Didn't change much for me on second shots.

Obliterated this one today. Its just a good setup for me at 9.5, would still like to hit the 9.0 head.

Obliterated this one today. Its just a good setup for me at 9.5, would still like to hit the 9.0 head.

I really need some swings with the 9. I liked the 9.5 and hit it surprisingly well.

I like this one. I am a Callaway fan, but I really do like it. I don’t think I need a high launch driver though.

So I kinda like this driver alot.

I'm fighting the push right and battling through it but in the mean time this driver is awesome.
Not used to teeing the ball so low and yet seeing it climb with solid launch angles and eventual good distances.

The sweet spot has a very distinct sound and feel that just let's you know you have connected.
And I managed to hit an entire large bucket with no knuckleballs which is a rare occurence.
The potential with this driver really has me eating to battle through the swing issue before the season ends.

Nice Mike!!! It's a good match for you dude.

I'm just killing it off the tee right now myself. Carry for daaaaaaays.

Nice Mike!!! It's a good match for you dude.

I'm just killing it off the tee right now myself. Carry for daaaaaaays.
Yeah I'm excited about the thought of the damage I can do once I atop swinging like a clown.

My instructor took a few swings and loved it too. He really loved the soul and the "cool" badge.

Back