Pulls and Banana Slices....ugh!

wcs_michfan

Reaction score
Handicap
Normally I play a draw, but over the last two weeks I've developed a nasty pull\banana slice problem that gets worse as the clubs get longer. My divots are pointing very much left of the target....which makes sense. I also think I'm catching it on the toe. For the life of me I can't figure out what has changed in my swing. I booked a lesson for Sunday so hopefully I get it figured out. I don't even feel like I should be on a course right now....I couldn't even keep it on the range last night with my Driver :beat-up:

One thing I did notice towards the end of my session last night was my left shoulder alignment. It seemed to be pointing pretty far left compared to my lower body. It got dark as I realized this was happening so didn't have much of a chance to correct this. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated...Thanks.

Sounds like a big over the top move going on. For alignment checks you can get setup then take a club across you shoulders and see where they are pointing then check hips, knees, etc. take some half swings to make sure your in a good position. Here's to getting it fixed and success in your lesson

Sounds like a big over the top move going on. For alignment checks you can get setup then take a club across you shoulders and see where they are pointing then check hips, knees, etc. take some half swings to make sure your in a good position. Here's to getting it fixed and success in your lesson

Thanks - yeah, even my little knockdown shots are tailing to the right or being pulled. I'm really hoping its just an alignment issue.

It could be alignment or starting swing with upper body.

Had a mini breakthrough tonight at the range. Buddy of mine, who's scratch, noticed I was breaking down at the top of my swing. He took a video of me and I was floored. Swing was way to long and wrists were breaking down. So I started to swing with a swing thought of: keeping the wrists in the same position in the backswing as they are at address....in other words, don't break\hinge the wrists no matter what during the backswing. Keeping the angles established at address, with the wrists, throughout the entire swing. Well....I started hitting much better shots with good compression as a result. And...to my surprise, my divots started getting straighter. Seems like I subconsciously try to create swing speed with a longer swing, via wrists breaking down, as opposed to creating it with the lower body.

Anyway, hopefully I'm onto something here. Still have my lesson on Sunday so I'll see how that goes. But...for the first time in a month...I felt like I struck solid shots at the range.

The OTT swing is causing this issue. You are too armsy. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63775

Thanks Panda - any drills or swing thoughts you'd recommend to become less "armsy"....Thanks for your help. I do think by keeping the wrist angles in tact throughout the backswing has, by default, made me less armsy. Feels like I'm rotating through the ball more with my body now that the wrists/arms aren't as engaged.

Back