Impressed with Titleist 714 APP irons

BillNorCal

Reaction score
Handicap
Longtime lurker and big fan of this site. I usually don't post since I am a true hacker. :)

Yesterday I took my daughter to get some golf shoes and I decided to try the AP1. I took the 5 iron in both graphite and steel and a bucket of balls to the outdoor range. All I can say is WOW! I never have a high ball flight with my 5 or 6 iron. Truly amazing club. :clapp:

So I scheduled a fitting session and am looking forward to my first set of Titleist irons. A question for AP1 users, should I go with the wedge after PW? I think it's the AW or GW?

Thanks.

Bill

They're some extremely solid irons for sure Bill, I know one of our writers (Hawk) absolutely loves the set.

Lots of thoughts here on them: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?50418-Titleist-714-AP1-Review-Thread/page46

I know I'm a big set GW ("W2" for Titleist) guy but its all about what you want as far as versatility, since in the AP1's its 52* you could easily just go with a 52* wedge if you preferred.

Awesome that you found a set you really seem to enjoy, be sure to keep us updated on what happens!

That really depends on the yardage gaps that you want/need with your wedges. The PW is 44 degrees with the W being 48 and the W2 being 52 degrees. If those are the lofts that you want then I see no reason not to go that route.

I've got the AP1s with W1 and W2 but I don't use them. I prefer my J40s over them but that's just me.

Wedge use is all personal preference and if you get the right gapping (12-16 yds) between wedges starting at PW. The great thing nowadays is the flexibility in what you order. Could keep everything the same or buy thru 9i and get a PW and other wedges in lofts and models you like.

actually got my AP1s yesterday after a fitting last week. absolutely love them. wish i would of gotten them a while ago :)

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get irons through PW. I have a 50, 56 and 60 that I think will work for now.

Ap1's are definitely some great sticks. Glad you liked them!

I loved that 48° wedge. Got a ton of use for both full shots and partial.

Back