having trouble hitting new irons

jodyv

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently upgraded from a set of ping zing 2 orange dot irons to a set of standard length Adams a12OS irons and I have been having a very hard time hitting them well I had a very good swing with the zings and my golf game has almost bottomed out with the new clubs when I do have a good hit its much stronger than with my old set but I have 3 times the miss hits. Went from shooting high 80s to being lucky to get close to a mid 90... but I was curious to see some opinions on what the issue could be and if maybe I should look into maybe shortening the shafts on the new clubs. BTW I have never been fitted but I'm 6 foot so I should be the right height for the new clubs any help/ feedback would be greatly appreciated

There's always a "getting to know you" phase with any equipment. I know with every club or iron set I've bought that it's taken me about 4 rounds to get used to the feel. Stick with it for a month or two and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there and done that in the honeymoon phase with new clubs. Some quick questions...did you get fit for your new clubs? What are your mishits, fat, thin, push, pull?

Been there and done that in the honeymoon phase with new clubs. Some quick questions...did you get fit for your new clubs? What are your mishits, fat, thin, push, pull?

I have a habit of pushing my shots and just not making very consistent contact

Welcome to THP Jody.

I wouldn't get too worried just yet. Sometimes if you're really used to the way a club feels and reacts when you swing it you can struggle a bit to get adjusted to something new. Doesn't help that every time you mis hit now you're probably thinking it's an issue with the clubs in the back of your head. Then you sort of sabotage yourself ahead of time whether you want to or not and that makes more mishits. It's a nasty cycle.

I can tell you that you bought a set of irons that was highly regarded by many people here and should offer you first-rate forgiveness and playability. I wouldn't shorten the clubs unless there is a good reason (fitting). My guess is that there isn't. Though they may be longer, you can fix that by moving back a little. Get in the address position, stand up straight, hold the club out straight in front of you, then close your eyes and bend down like you were addressing the ball. Open up your eyes and see where that club is in relation to the ball. Might give you an idea if you need to adjust how far away you are from the ball.

If you notice a lot of heel or toe heavy divots it could be a lie angle thing, but again I bet it's not that bad that it would cause this kind of thing.

Either way, if I was guessing I'd guess that it's a feel/swing weight thing after years and years with the same set. Make sure your fundamentals are squared away and maybe work on some smaller swings until you get your tempo in order.

Back