Vulcan Golf Forged Irons

Mango Smash

Reaction score
Handicap
***Comparison pictures added in the comments***

So I sold off pretty much all of my equipment recently due to some unexpected medical bills. Figured I would grab a really cheap set of clubs since I don't play but once every few months at the moment. I came across a seller that had a few sets of Vulcan APH-1 irons heads in 3-PW for $55 brand new. Figured I couldn't go wrong with the price even if they don't feel as good as some of the other brands I have played. I have been doing some research and they look to be the former owners of Ram Golf back when they were in their glory days. After reading that, I really think these could be an under the radar type of set. They are being shipped to me at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen or heard of these clubs or this company.

Last edited:
Nope, but for 55.00 bucks they looks like a fun project. Pair them up with some cheap pulls and could get them done for under 200.00

That is my plan. I am a pretty solid bargain shopper so I am keeping my eye out for a nice set of X flex graphite shafts to jump on. Wish I had never let my Recoils go earlier this year.

I hope the medical issues aren't serious and whomever was ailed is on the mend.

Thank you. Physically the wife and are doing well, but mentally it is day to day. My wife recently miscarried shortly after we found out she was pregnant. She had 2 previous miscarriages before our 2 boys were born. She is very hard on herself, but there was nothing either of us could have done to prevent it. She has a laundry list of medical abnormalities as well as a thyroid and clotting disorder that seem to fluctuate monthly. Those are the 2 main causes for the previous 2 miscarriages, but we are still awaiting the results as to what happened with this one.

So the heads came in. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised so far. I won't be able to shaft them up for a while. Just keeping an eye open for some low launch graphite shafts that won't cost a fortune. Here are some size comparisons to a few demo clubs I have.

Face milling:
Face_zpscbe060e8.jpg

3 iron:
Compared to my KZG Forged MII demo 3 iron. The Vulcan has a touch more offset and a slightly thicker topline. It is also a bit more compact in heel to toe length.
3i1_zps85d3f954.jpg
3i2_zps4f72f1dc.jpg

6 iron:
Compared to a demo Bridgestone J38cb. Quite a bit more offset than this head.
6i1_zps4903e9d8.jpg
6i2_zps8c8a8eb0.jpg

9 iron:
Compared to Geotech JF10 Prototype. Very similar offset and overall size.
9i1_zps4ca1498b.jpg
9i2_zpsb6b37060.jpg

For $55, I think I may have found the bargain of the year for me. Depending on the shafts I can find, I may be able to build my whole bag for under $250. That is my goal at least. I have a spare S300 wedge shaft sitting in the corner of the garage that I may put in the PW just to see how they feel before shafting up the whole set. Will post results if I end up doing that.

I will snap a few pictures of those later this evening. The sole is rounded. It is similar to the Bridgestone style, but not as pronounced. Has a slight rounding to the leading edge and slight trailing edge. The cavity can be seen on the ebay listing. Seller still shows 3 sets available. They had a previous incarnation of this design with the XDC3, but without the face milling.

I have a set of px5.5 sitting at home 4-p I'll ship you

Thank you. Physically the wife and are doing well, but mentally it is day to day. My wife recently miscarried shortly after we found out she was pregnant. She had 2 previous miscarriages before our 2 boys were born. She is very hard on herself, but there was nothing either of us could have done to prevent it. She has a laundry list of medical abnormalities as well as a thyroid and clotting disorder that seem to fluctuate monthly. Those are the 2 main causes for the previous 2 miscarriages, but we are still awaiting the results as to what happened with this one.

Good luck. That is some heavy stuff that isn't easy to recover from mentally. Here's to wishing the two of you the best.

Good luck. That is some heavy stuff that isn't easy to recover from mentally. Here's to wishing the two of you the best.

Thank you

So I haven't shafted the set yet as I am still waiting for some ferrules and shims to come in. I was given some PX shafts by another member and am very thankful for them. I am planning to install them hardstepped once as they were 4-PW and I have 3-PW in the set. I took an old S300 shaft I had been using as an alignment stick and put it in the PW to try out. So far with my limited experience they are remarkable. Very forgiving and spin a ton. I had a 125 yard par 3 and hit a choked down shot that landed 3 feet past the pin. Unfortunately the ball spun back too much and caught a ridge about 6 feet below the hole and rolled nearly off the green. I don't typically spin the ball a lot. I hit it high and the ball is usually within about 1ft of the pitch mark.

All in all, I think i will have a great set of clubs once I am able to complete the build. Thank you GolfinFF for the shafts!

So I haven't shafted the set yet as I am still waiting for some ferrules and shims to come in. I was given some PX shafts by another member and am very thankful for them. I am planning to install them hardstepped once as they were 4-PW and I have 3-PW in the set. I took an old S300 shaft I had been using as an alignment stick and put it in the PW to try out. So far with my limited experience they are remarkable. Very forgiving and spin a ton. I had a 125 yard par 3 and hit a choked down shot that landed 3 feet past the pin. Unfortunately the ball spun back too much and caught a ridge about 6 feet below the hole and rolled nearly off the green. I don't typically spin the ball a lot. I hit it high and the ball is usually within about 1ft of the pitch mark.

All in all, I think i will have a great set of clubs once I am able to complete the build. Thank you GolfinFF for the shafts!

thanks for the follow up, how would you describe the feel of the irons.

thanks for the follow up, how would you describe the feel of the irons.

I have been quite pleased with my limited experience with them so far. I was really expecting them to sound "clicky" as they were very inexpensive, but have been pleasantly surprised. Very solid feel on well hit shots, and not as big a penalty as most players cavity irons I have been playing. I would categorize these as a players cavity, that has the look more of a GI type head. I am trying to get a hold of someone at Vulcan, but that may not work out. I just want to find out what these are forged from. They are not quite as soft as something like a Scratch or Mizuno head, but very solid nonetheless.

***Comparison pictures added in the comments***

So I sold off pretty much all of my equipment recently due to some unexpected medical bills. Figured I would grab a really cheap set of clubs since I don't play but once every few months at the moment. I came across a seller that had a few sets of Vulcan APH-1 irons heads in 3-PW for $55 brand new. Figured I couldn't go wrong with the price even if they don't feel as good as some of the other brands I have played. I have been doing some research and they look to be the former owners of Ram Golf back when they were in their glory days. After reading that, I really think these could be an under the radar type of set. They are being shipped to me at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen or heard of these clubs or this company.
I’m sorry it’s taken 6 years To get back to you but I’m actually the one who designed that iron. It was forged with carbon steel but I don’t remember the exact type.. the faces were milled like many of the wedges on the market, I was looking to produce our highest priced custom iron yet and that head ended up costing three times the normal amount because of the forging/milling process. You got a great deal! I hope you enjoyed them.

I’m sorry it’s taken 6 years To get back to you but I’m actually the one who designed that iron. It was forged with carbon steel but I don’t remember the exact type.. the faces were milled like many of the wedges on the market, I was looking to produce our highest priced custom iron yet and that head ended up costing three times the normal amount because of the forging/milling process. You got a great deal! I hope you enjoyed them.
Hi Alvin! I have come across a set of these irons 5-pw... they are like new I’m jw what I should pay for these...? I can’t find out much about them so I figured I’d ask you...

Was there a Vulcan driver as well? I seem to recall one maybe with a track with sliding weights of some kind?

Back