Titleist 915 D3 Driver Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will serve as host for reviews of the 915 D3 from Titleist. Here are some in hand pictures of the new driver after a range session yesterday.

IMG_7801-L.jpg

IMG_7810-L.jpg

IMG_7807-L.jpg

IMG_7804-L.jpg

IMG_7809-L.jpg

IMG_7803-L.jpg

Oh yeah! This is the one I have been lusting over! Can't wait for the reviews to start coming in.

I went with D2 in the 913 after demoing both. The D3 has always intrigued me.

Looks like you were hitting the center of the clubface! What are your early thoughts?

• Admin
Oh yeah! This is the one I have been lusting over! Can't wait for the reviews to start coming in.

Im going to leave the feedback to Mward and Fupresti from yesterday, but I will say that this driver is crazy loud in terms of sound. I mean metallic loud.

Im going to leave the feedback to Mward and Fupresti from yesterday, but I will say that this driver is crazy loud in terms of sound. I mean metallic loud.

That is surprising to me in terms of sound from Titleist. I gamed an earlier model for a couple of years and tried several others and never recall that being the case with any of them.

• Admin
Was that a good or bad metallic sound JB?

That will be up to the person hitting it. To me I prefer a different sound. To give you an example, the D3 sounded similar to a few drivers I have tested from a few years back. Cobra L4V, Nike Sumo, Cleveland Monster, etc.

That will be up to the person hitting it. To me I prefer a different sound. To give you an example, the D3 sounded similar to a few drivers I have tested from a few years back. Cobra L4V, Nike Sumo, Cleveland Monster, etc.

Wow, Nike Sumo comparison. No Bueno

Having gamed both the 910 and 913 D2, I'm anxious to hear the feedback on the 915. I still go back to the 913 whenever I play a very tight course. I just feel like I can hit that thing anywhere I need to.

The 913 d3 I hit very well and feel that's the one that got away. Very interested in this but the early feedback on sound has me weary. Will find out in person

looks like a bunch of marks low on the face. Looking forward to hearing about the performance on that miss.

looks like a bunch of marks low on the face. Looking forward to hearing about the performance on that miss.

Most of them were caught pretty dead on by all of us. There were three shots (2 by me) that were lower on the face.

Looks wise it's gorgeous. Ball flight for me on most hits were a good launch, plenty of carry and distance, but the sound it made: more GI driver sound than players driver sound, if that makes sense.

Titleist drivers have always had that certain "whack" sound when hit. This as stated in another post, sounded more Nike Sumo like than Titleist like. I thought this was worse than the G30, as it was definitely louder than it and quite unpleasant.

Not the that D3 would be for me, but sorry to hear about the sound, that has always been something i appreciated about my 910

What an amazing looking club, even the headcover looks mean!

Sound being such a crucial thing, I am shocked by this I haven't been into the equipment long but the majority says that 905 and 910 were the best drivers as far as it seems so it must be that the next driver after this will become a classic. I have had the 905T and 910 D2 and D3, I think most people would be surprised by the forgiveness of the D2.

The sound thing is really crazy. I was on the range as a guy was hitting this next to me and it struck me as different but not crazy loud.

Such a beautiful driver. Really really surprised by the results of the sound. Not something you'd expect from Titleist.

That is disappointing to hear! I was so looking forward to this coming out ... and to compare the sound to a Nike Sumo ... YIKES! If that's the case, then you will be able to hear it three holes over. Funny how none of the Titleist forums say anything about the sound. Guess I will have to hear it for myself.

I will reserve judgment until I hit this club. Based on the photos of the face there were a lot of low toe and off center strikes. I wonder if this could have aided in the sound heard. As long it doesn't sound like the air hammer I won't cringe too much.

I will reserve judgment until I hit this club. Based on the photos of the face there were a lot of low toe and off center strikes. I wonder if this could have aided in the sound heard. As long it doesn't sound like the air hammer I won't cringe too much.

There werent. The face was wiped down by me after Fupresti and Ward hit. The last few are all that are showing. The sound was not different.

There werent. The face was wiped down by me after Fupresti and Ward hit. The last few are all that are showing. The sound was not different.

I had to ask, thanks for the clarification. The driver looks good, wonder what sense will win out, sight or sound.

I'll leave some more detailed thoughts when I'm not enjoying Magic Kingdom, but this driver just disappointed. Performance was certainly good but sound and feel were just not what I would expect from a Titleist club.

I got to hit this on the Trackman last night against my SLDR. " to the moon Alice " one guy said. Had good ball speed and launch angle but the carry just wasn't there for me or the other guys on the range last night at least. It sounded just like this to me, http://youtu.be/PSaZXAv1-zk every shot from all of us.
I didn't realize how huge the head was in this either until I first put it down at address or at least appeared huge ( coming from a guy using a 430 SLDR head though )
Had a couple that rolled out to 290-295 but it just didn't feel like I hoped it would. Don't get me wrong, aesthetically this is a beautiful driver in hand. But just not the one to make ME jump ship.

So, the sound thing is incredibly disappointing to me.

This is my thought too- for me anyways - sound is somewhat overrated

Back