Beginner Club Fitting - Question About a Repeatable Swing

newtogolfgirl

Reaction score
Handicap
I am curious to hear opinions on if/when a person should get fitted for new clubs. I was reading another recent thread about equipment for a beginner golfer and whether they should get fitted.One comment was that it was too early to develop a repeatable swing to benefit from a fitting.

At what point (generally speaking of course), does a repeatable swing develop? I know it depends on the individual and how much they play/practice, but I am curious to hear opinions on this.I bought a used set of ladies Wilson clubs from craigslist and they work for me, but I admit I am thinking to myself already at what point is it justifiable to consider getting fitted for new clubs?Looking at my spreadsheet (I keep a spreadsheet with notes on practices, lessons, and games), I started Aug. 15, so only have been playing for 2 months. I generally practice 2 to 3 days a week, lesson on Saturdays and, if time permits, play 9 holes on Sundays (I wait until super twilight – less likely anyone is behind me so less stress for me :D).I will ask my instructor at my next lesson, but thought I would also pose the question here.

IMO anytime someone is looking to spend money on a set of clubs they should be fit. Clubs can be adjusted if/when a swing changes. IMO it's better to have a set the fits your swing and if something changes you can get the fitter to make necessary adjustments.

I was looking into a fitting earlier this season as I was essentially getting back into golf after a long layoff and I was going to upgrade my whole bag. The first pro I talked to recommended I wait until I was more consistent with my swing and contact. I think he steered me wrong BTW! I agree with emart's advice, even though I didn't do it that way myself.

The sooner you get fit, the better.

I think, at minimum, a static fitting for length and lie should be done, even for beginners. I wouldn't worry about things like tuning fit with shafts and the like, but having clubs the right length and lie (especially the right length) can be helpful in building a swing.

I think it's probably more important to get fit for the right set of clubs than it is to worry about specs and stuff. You will want something that you like looking at and something you can grow with.

good luck and welcome to the greatest game ever played.

Early on in anyone's game there is a learning process. This includes the swing, the mental side, the physical side and just flat out learning how to golf. Knowing what the club face does at impact is key in the game of golf. It helps accelerate the learning curve.

Your instructor will teach you the swing. Your time and efforts will make it repeatable. Learning how the swing works with your body or with less or more effort will push into repeatable swingville. All of this could take no time at all or a longer amount of time. Once you feel you've grasped this concept I think you should move into a fitting.

The fitting is not to work on your swing but to fit clubs to the swing your have. I see a lot of fittings try to fix the swing rather than just fit the person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :smile: The last lesson I had my instructor gave me positive feedback and said he could tell I was practicing because my swing and the rhythm of my swing is becoming consistent. So that was encouraging to hear. Sounds like I am justified in getting fitted (even just a static fit) for a new set of clubs!

The fitting is not work on your swing but to fit clubs to the swing your have. I see a lot of fittings try to fix the swing rather than just fit the person.
I will keep this in mind when going for a fitting and “cut it off at the path” (hopefully anyway) if I sense this starts to happen. Thanks again everyone! :smile:

Fitting changes along with your game. Fitting can be done in various ways, and repeatability is one thing that will come later...but most likely your swing speed, swing plane and your natural tempo will be quite easy to repeat. Angle of attack, stance, aiming, in / out angles hard harder to repeat. But you will definitely benefit from getting a right kind of shaft stiffness, loft and type of club by getting fitted.

I hope that made any sense :)

Fitting changes along with your game. Fitting can be done in various ways, and repeatability is one thing that will come later...but most likely your swing speed, swing plane and your natural tempo will be quite easy to repeat. Angle of attack, stance, aiming, in / out angles hard harder to repeat. But you will definitely benefit from getting a right kind of shaft stiffness, loft and type of club by getting fitted.

I hope that made any sense :)

Yes it does. :) Thanks!

I'm still waiting for my repeatable swing........

Back