Long Irons vs Hybrids - Alternate Shots

This makes no sense at all.

You can hit a long iron OOB just easy as a hybrid.

I disagree with that, my miss with a long iron is MUCH more subdued than a hybrid.

A great case in point is My 3 iron off the tee on the par 4 that lead to the rope hooke me jesus. I made great contact on taht shot, it just had too much draw to it. I am 95% sure that ball would have been in a back yard with a hybrid.
as mu
I have been wanting to try a hybrid head with an iron shaft in it, I think the shafts could be just as much of the problem as the head.

I think the fact that you'll see hybrids recommended for amateurs as less to do with Tour use and more to do with things like more retained ball speed off center, flight correction off center, easier launch, higher flight, steeper descent, etc. If people were basing recommendations on Tour use, you'd see a lot more bags with only one hybrid vs multiple, smaller footprints, more fade bias, etc.

That's where fitting and demoing comes in. If you're buying based on feeling pressured I'd look for a new place to buy from.

understand your comment. Wasnt pressured by any individual but just meant the whole portrayed picture in general just as you state above has been thrown out there to such a degree that it convinced me to try them. And i just didnt find them easier to hit. But as said (even though at a lesser level of play) I really like my 4iron. And after more than half a season with the hyb I rather play my 4i. So I had no advatntage with going hyb instead.

understand your comment. Wasnt pressured by any individual but just meant the whole portrayed picture in general just as you state above has been thrown out there to such a degree that it convinced me to try them. And i just didnt find them easier to hit. But as said (even though at a lesser level of play) I really like my 4iron. And after more than half a season with the hyb I rather play my 4i. So I had no advatntage with going hyb instead.

I can see that. I think that for the majority of people out there, that's probably not the case though. The thing is what I stated isn't portrayed or just thrown out there. It's all based in fact. Whether a hybrid agrees with everybody on a personal level is a fitting or preference thing.

Love all the debating going on in this thread. Crazy thing is, when I first started my long iron game was sneaky good and I couldn't hit a hybrid for anything. Now it is totally reversed.

9 out of 10 times, if I hit a hybrid poorly it is going into one of two different fairways. Neither of them are mine. 9 out of 10 times, if I hit a long iron poorly it is going short but still in either
A. The fairway.
B. The rough.
Very few and very far between have I hit a poor long iron even remotely as far offline (laterally) as I have a poor hybrid, which is a constant occurrence.

So for ME it's not just as easy. And for ME it DOES make sense. I didn't make a broad generalization of all golfers. I said what I would rather see out of a miss. So I feel that you saying that my comment that I made about my preference for a miss not making sense might be overstepping a bit.

From my perspective it makes no sense. 5 yards short or 30 yards short is no brainer. And when did you lose your thick skin. I made a statement and you replied.

I think hybrids are the easiest club to hit and hit well. As a teacher if you can hit one then I feel lessons are in order. The science alone behind a hybrid makes it easier to play. That being said those that can't hit them have convinced themselves of that and will do what they will. And you know what Colt, that is fine. If you feel long irons make you a better player, I can't take that way from you. But I can sure feel it makes no sense.

From my perspective it makes no sense. 5 yards short or 30 yards short is no brainer. And when did you lose your thick skin. I made a statement and you replied.

I think hybrids are the easiest club to hit and hit well. As a teacher if you can hit one then I feel lessons are in order. The science alone behind a hybrid makes it easier to play. That being said those that can't hit them have convinced themselves of that and will do what they will. And you know what Colt, that is fine. If you feel long irons make you a better player, I can't take that way from you. But I can sure feel it makes no sense.

They are much easier to hit yes but Visually to me the shaft being so thick bothers me .. I know it's a mental thing but I'm slightly mental anyway

Not usre if what i say here is completely correct, But as once explained to me there are two sides to this depending on just how successful one is with hitting the long iron. If you have a poor long iron shot than most likely you struggle getting the ball up and going so the ability of a hybrid to get the ball up and going is going to result in longer shots simply by default. But if one can already get the ball up and going with a longer iron then that extra hight from the hybrid can result in a shorter shot for that person. This (right or wrong, I just dont know for sure). Shorter but (if hit on to a green) able to hold better due to the steeper decent angle. I dont know if thats really all correct or not. But other factors like shaft legnth and loft also play a role in that logic too.

The general thought is to swing the hybrid as though its an iron. My instructer said he doesnt belive that is written in stone and actually views them as having thier own swing.

Regardless, If one hits a 4h same as a 4i and/or in place of the 4iron than why imo shouldnt that shaft legnth also be the same? I think some of the problems people have with swinging hybs (among other things) is the longer shafts. Longer leads to more speed and may add to the logic of a hyb being longer but more speed equals less accuracy for most amateurs. So playing the club at the legnth of its iron brother is something my fitter brought up to me for the reason i mentioned. Again, right or wrong I dont really know.

This makes sense to me and in fact my 3h and 4h Fli Hi are factory direct iron replacements to my MP-67s. Even discounting the irons on steroids style of hybrid and focusing in the mini fairway wood style, the original Wilson Fybrid and Ping Rapture hybrid as examples, came with or had as an option a iron shaft. The earlier hybrids were marketed as an easier to hit long iron replacement and their overall length was similar to the iron that they were designed to replace.

The truism in marketing is "sex sells" and distance in golf is sexy. Along with the improvements in design and materials that improved distance via the clubhead, designers also increased the length of the shaft much in the same way the R&D engineers did with drivers. For those that say they can't hit a hybrid; if you come across an older, shorter shafted version in the used bin at your local golf emporium it might be worth taking a few swings with it.

And visual pleasure is part of golf. But not always good golf. At some point poeple need to ask themselves if they want to look good with sleek clubs or do they want to improve.

A mental block over a club is very easy to get over if you want to. But if you don't and you want to swing and hope, that is everyone choice.

Now, if you hit every long iron on the screws then you have no business switching. But if you are standing over the long and hoping this is the good swing that will poroduce that high shot you want, you may want to rethink your choice. And 'you' is everyone not you specifically

They are much easier to hit yes but Visually to me the shaft being so thick bothers me .. I know it's a mental thing but I'm slightly mental anyway

Not usre if what i say here is completely correct, But as once explained to me there are two sides to this depending on just how successful one is with hitting the long iron. If you have a poor long iron shot than most likely you struggle getting the ball up and going so the ability of a hybrid to get the ball up and going is going to result in longer shots simply by default. But if one can already get the ball up and going with a longer iron then that extra hight from the hybrid can result in a shorter shot for that person. This (right or wrong, I just dont know for sure). Shorter but (if hit on to a green) able to hold better due to the steeper decent angle. I dont know if thats really all correct or not. But other factors like shaft legnth and loft also play a role in that logic too.

The general thought is to swing the hybrid as though its an iron. My instructer said he doesnt belive that is written in stone and actually views them as having thier own swing.

Regardless, If one hits a 4h same as a 4i and/or in place of the 4iron than why imo shouldnt that shaft legnth also be the same? I think some of the problems people have with swinging hybs (among other things) is the longer shafts. Longer leads to more speed and may add to the logic of a hyb being longer but more speed equals less accuracy for most amateurs. So playing the club at the legnth of its iron brother is something my fitter brought up to me for the reason i mentioned. Again, right or wrong I dont really know.
Its not speed that hurt amateurs, it lack of knowledge about the swing. Its the lack of lessons and practice. The extra few inches on the butt of a hybrid doesn't make them harder to hit.

Well....started out with a 3 and 4 hybrid. Over the last year, I added 5 and 6 hybrids. They just go a little further and straighter while being easier to hit.

Everyone's different, but there sure are a lot of statements being made. Seems pretty simple. Try them and use them if you like. No different than preferring one type of iron, or shaft over another.

I also want to be clear that I in no way think everyone should play hybrids or long irons. Play what you want. My comments are directed at the reasoning for peoples choices. Golf is great because you can and do what you want, it makes this game great. I've said many times, there are exception to every rule. I have a buddie who carries a 2i and hits great. He also a very very good player. I have seen forum members own long irons, not alot but a few. They work for them but they are the exception. If you stand 200 yard out and can't hit the green more often then not with long iron, then maybe a hybo is in your future, a more forgivong long iron or lessons.

The truism in marketing is "sex sells" and distance in golf is sexy. Along with the improvements in design and materials that improved distance via the clubhead, designers also increased the length of the shaft much in the same way the R&D engineers did with drivers. For those that say they can't hit a hybrid; if you come across an older, shorter shafted version in the used bin at your local golf emporium it might be worth taking a few swings with it.

I like the marketing logic. Well put. Technically I guess one who does struggle to hit them could just or should just try choking up to make the length similar to the iron of choice "if" that is indeed where their trouble is coming from.

I love that this too gets blamed on marketing

I can hit the hybrids farther for sure, but I am much more accurate with the long irons. If I have a lot of room to work with I will go with the hybrid. If it is tight, I go with 4 iron.

Hyrons: best of both worlds

#youarewelcome

Added a 4H last fall. I love it and have dropped the 4 iron and sometimes even the 5 iron from my bag, at least for now. The one troubling miss is getting under the ball sitting up in the rough. It slides through the rough so well is sometimes almost pops the ball straight in the air. I have yet to see a range where I can practice that shot. Any suggestions on low point control for making solid contact in that situation? Maybe treat it as an uneven lie with the ball above my feet? Thanks.

I like hybrids over long irons just for the height and forgiveness aspect. Could I hit 3-4 irons? Sure. As consistently and high? Not a chance for me personally.

And visual pleasure is part of golf. But not always good golf. At some point poeple need to ask themselves if they want to look good with sleek clubs or do they want to improve.

A mental block over a club is very easy to get over if you want to. But if you don't and you want to swing and hope, that is everyone choice.

Now, if you hit every long iron on the screws then you have no business switching. But if you are standing over the long and hoping this is the good swing that will poroduce that high shot you want, you may want to rethink your choice. And 'you' is everyone not you specifically

I have no problem with my long irons at all but hybrids are more forgiving. I've thought many times of putting a steel shaft on one

I do apologize for being p!$$y but my job and soldiers have me on a tirade today. I shouldn't take it out on you guys. I've been correcting soldiers all day long for acting like idiots and I just never turned it off.

In regards to the 5 yards short or 30 yards short comment. I'd definitely rather be 5 yards short than 30, and in that respect a hybrid would help. But when I'm hitting into a green usually trouble is lateral on both sides of a hole. Therefore I personally prefer the "lateral forgiveness" that a long iron has for my swing to the "distance loss" forgiveness that a hybrid gives me. I've found that I've lost more strokes laterally throughout my short time golfing than I have from hitting a shot short.

There for (if) I could learn to keep a hybrid straight I would definitely game one. But i personally can't do it. Even on a day when I'm striking everything in my bag well the hybrid still gives me problems. Always has. Is it a swing flaw? Yes. Is it one I'm willing to pay for on the course? Nope.

Once again. My apologies. I've told plenty of people in here that they need to get thicker skin before and I was the culprit of it this time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

#youarewelcome

You guys have been killing me with all the Altitude talk. I have been to golfsmith and hit them, and they feel great. I just don't think I want to put out the money for them now. Maybe wait a while a the price will go down.

Its not speed that hurt amateurs, it lack of knowledge about the swing. Its the lack of lessons and practice. The extra few inches on the butt of a hybrid doesn't make them harder to hit.

Understood, but I always thought (please correct) we all at some time and to some degree have to learn or already have learned to swing within our means. A happy medium "perhaps" between speed and/or length vs control. We can learn more about the swing and we can practice more too. It may lead to one being better able to swing faster and also use a longer club and this may raise that place for ones "happy medium" within his capabilities but isn't the happy medium still always going to be there at some point? I thought a lot of the difference between a pro and amateur (if only talking ss and distance) is the over all ability for the pro to utilize more of his capability while still maintain control. In other words his "happy medium" is at a much higher place within his capabilities. But still does exist. Does it not?

If what I thought (and I'm asking) has much truth to it than speed and club length would both mean something individually or together for making things harder. Either one or both would offset that place of ones happy medium no matter what the level.

And I sincerely hope my post here doesn't create negativity for anyone :( Don't like ruining good conversation :) . Not sarcasm but I worry now.

I love that this too gets blamed on marketing

Serious question. Aren't claims of distance and ease of use marketing? My intent wasn't to blame marketing for someones inability to hit a hybrid though after rereading my post I can see why it could have been read that way.

#youarewelcome

What, and make the game of golf easier? Seriously, after reading the review and fellow THPers comments I will be trying out a set.

Serious question. Aren't claims of distance and ease of use marketing? My intent wasn't to blame marketing for someones inability to hit a hybrid though after rereading my post I can see why it could have been read that way.

Of course it's marketing. The claims do have to be substantiated though, which is why when you see an RBZ commercial that says it's longer, there's almost always fine print at the bottom telling you what the comparison club used was. Often when we hear people rail against marketing claims, it's in a very negative context as though to imply fraud or conspiracy.

Marketing (in the golf context) is supposed to generate interest in clubs. Golfers (and our egos) are the ones seeking more distance, accuracy, and ease of use, so those are the gains that the manufacturers build around when designing clubs. Of course they'll also market to those. I think that it's the consumer's responsibility to do their own due diligence to make sure that the club they're interested in works for them. If that's a long iron, great. If it's a hybrid, fantastic!

Hybrids are what happen to work for me, and the logic behind why they work for me is sound.

I also have a sincere question:

For those who feel that hybrids are penalizing or unforgiving for misses laterally from the sweet spot, do you feel the same way about fairway woods? I ask because it was my understanding that the function of the face designs should be similar.

I also have a sincere question:

For those who feel that hybrids are penalizing or unforgiving for misses laterally from the sweet spot, do you feel the same way about fairway woods? I ask because it was my understanding that the function of the face designs should be similar.

Compared to an iron? Absolutely

Back