Course Review: The Shattuck, Jaffrey, NH

OITW

Reaction score
I played The Shattuck with a buddy of mine, we were supposed to tee off at 8:30am but didn't get out until 9:30am due to a frost delay. It ended up being a great day and we really enjoyed our time at The Shattuck. I definitely need play this course again, phenomenal views and tough but rewarding layout. The round was truly an enjoyable golfing and nature experience. I hope you enjoy the review as much I enjoyed playing the course!

The Club House

About the course:
The Shattuck, carved from the granite foothills of Mt. Monadnock, is one of the most visually stunning golf courses you'll ever play. Course architect Brian Silva calls this "the most spectacular setting I've ever come across." (New England Golf Magazine, July/August 1991) Each hole is framed by forests of oak, birch and pine, shielding it from the view of other holes so you never feel crowded. It is, as one writer described it, "like 18 separate gems strung together in a perfect setting."

Par is 71 and yardage ranges from 4,632 to 6,764, so it's not an overly long course. Multiple tee pads on every hole make it accessible to all; plus, we've added a set of markers for the true beginner! In fact, if you can hit the ball 75 yards in the air, you can play any hole at The Shattuck. From the Forward and Middle tees, it's a friendly challenge for ladies, seniors, novices and avid youngsters. Here the emphasis is not on how long you can hit the ball, but on the accuracy of your shots. From the Back tees, it's a true measure of one's golfing ability with a Course Rating of 70.9 - almost par! You couldn't ask for a fairer test than that. Yet with a Slope Rating of 141 out of a possible 155 (the national average is 113), you should also know that it's not going to be an easy test. And from the championship Black tees, it's one of the toughest courses you can play in New England. The Course Rating is 73.5 - more than 2 full strokes over par. And, with a Slope Rating of 153, you know you're in for a real challenge!

Practice area
The course does have a driving range, we didn't use it though, drove by it though on our way in after the round. You can use every club in your bag, the range goes uphill with trees/wooded area as the back of the range. The range has grass tees. There were a couple of flags out there as well.
We only used one putting green that was a good sized green with multiple pin placements and plenty of room to putt if the course was busy. The green rolled true to half of the greens on the course.
There wasn't a specific green designated for chipping, however the main green had good rough and good space where if it wasn't crowded you get in some good short game work on the green, the rough was in good shape surrounding the green to give you plenty of practice options.
No practice bunkers available that I saw.
GRADE: B
Rated this a B, lack of a bunker practice area and separate pitch/chip green. Also not utilizing the range, I can't give it a fair letter grade.

Hole #4 "Dare"

Course conditions
Tee boxes - Were in good condition most of them were well taken care of and level, a couple were in rough shape with more dirt than grass but overall pretty good.
Fairways - Cut nice and close a couple of dead spots and one or two good chunks of burn out on a one or two holes, but very good shape overall.
Rough - was thick but not too penal, unless you were going OB we had no trouble finding our balls and we were able to hit out of the rough as expected.
Sand Traps - not that great, bunkers were hard packed, and a couple were flooded, some good sized rocks in one of the bunkers I was in, they definitely were not soft.
Greens - Greens were good, no sign of the aeration they did in September, greens rolled true, the only knock was 4 or 5 greens had been sanded and definitely affected the putting for our group.
GRADE: B Rated this a B, because of the few dead spots and burnout, the rocks/water in the bunkers and sanded greens, but for mid October in New England this course was in pretty good shape.

Hole #4 "Mountain Draw"

Layout
Very challenging layout? Most definitely. Target golf at it's finest. Every hole (except par 3s) had target stakes with yardages into the greens. Had quite a few blind tee shots and second shots, as well as quite a few forced carries. As challenging as it was it was also a ton of fun. I feel I left shots out there, that had I experienced this course before I wouldn't make that mistake again.
The course has six different tee options (Slope ratings ranging from 112-153), for the experienced golfer to the beginner. They set it up so all levels can enjoy this course. We played from the whites and it was challenging but also fun as well. The have a modified set of tee boxes called the "White Birch" Tees that are a combo set for the beginning golfer.
GRADE: A Rated this a A, the course can be as challenging as they come from the tips, but with six choices of tees anyone can have a good time playing this course. Also, the views are spectacular and are tough to beat, especially for a round of golf.

Picture taken from Hole #12 "Waterloo" you can see hole #13 "Temptation" on the right - more gorgeous views!

Pace of play
Amazing, we were the fourth group off and the three groups in front of us were all member groups and after hole 5 we didn't see the group in front of us. My buddy and I played just as a pair and the group behind us stayed a few holes behind. It was a great golfing experience not being pushed to keep up with the group in front of us or pushed by the group behind us. We did the full 18 in 3 and half hours. We ran into the Marshall twice once on each nine and he was super friendly and polite. We had a 5 minute conversation with him on the back 9 and it didn't slow us up at all.
GRADE: A+ Rated this a A+ played this course in 3 1/2 hours and weren't pushed at all and only as a twosome? Definitely can't beat that.

Price
The prices here are a definitely fair, on the weekends it is $45 for 18 holes with a cart. They have plenty of weekday specials that they advertise online. Twilight, everyday after 4pm with a cart is $25 (I believe this is offered in the Spring and Summer as well as Fall). My buddy and I purchased an Amazon Local deal, that was no restrictions, $56 for two greens fees and a cart, which was a great deal. They also offer $6 for small bucket of range balls and $10 for a large bucket. You can definitely find a deal and a great value if you are looking at playing this course.
GRADE: A Rated this a A with the deals they offer and for what I'm used to paying living around Boston (usually $70-$80 with cart of the weekends) the full price of $45 with cart, I would pay that every day. With the Amazon deal you can't beat $28 a person for a round of golf with a cart, if they had included a bucket of range balls that's what stops me from giving it an A+.

Hole #16 "Driver's Delight"
one of the few holes that I actually used driver on.

Amenities

They had a Men's and Women's locker room. The Men's locker room was a bit dirty and not as clean as some top clubs, but for the price and the location it was good. No extra amenities in the locker room like an attendant or special lotion/shaving cream, but those shouldn't be your expectations at this course and I wasn't expecting that.
There was not a beverage cart person out there for our round. They said they have one in the summer though. After a frost delay and that early, I wasn't really expecting one, it was pretty chilly out there in the beginning.
No restrooms on the course, you stop back at the clubhouse at the turn. There was one port-a-potty out there though.
They do have a restaurant that was pretty packed around 1pm when we left. They did have a side entrance for the golfers, so I think they had a quick takeout service for the players.
GRADE: B Rated this a B really due to the locker room being a little dirty and no beverage cart, on the course I'm fine with the port-o-potties out there.

Overall
GRADE: B
The course wasn't in pristine condition, but it wasn't a dump either. The practice facilities were missing a couple of little things that would definitely improve on the experience. A couple of little things with the amenities, but I feel like they would be different when in peak season and some of the things the were missing aren't a big issue for me.

The layout was one of my favorite that I have played, and you definitely couldn't beat the pace of play, which is very important for me, I really dislike a slow round of golf. I would definitely play this course again and I would recommend it to anyone visiting New England, if they have the time (it's a bout an hour and half drive from Boston) to make your way up to Jaffrey, NH and Mt. Monadnock and test your game and enjoy the views!

http://www.sterlinggolf.com/shattuck/

Waterloo and Temptation look picturesque for sure!

Great work on the review.

I grew up about 20 miles from there. However it hadn't been built yet. Boooo! Mt Monadnock is beautiful in the fall.

Great review Alex! I wished I had gotten into golf earlier during my time in Boston. So many courses I missed out on while I was there.

The foliage in New England is spectacular and the course looks fantastic!

I played there years ago (25?) and really enjoyed it. It is a spectacular location but a bit far from almost everywhere. I think conditioning suffers a little due to location (north) and because I think play is limited due to its remoteness.

Well done Alex. Thanks for sharing!

Great review Alex, love the backdrop in some of those photos.

Solid deal you guys got on Amazon local.

Great review Alex. Can't beat that kind of a deal with a picturesque course like that.

This course has been on my to play list for a while. Early October looks like the time to play.

This course has been on my to play list for a while. Early October looks like the time to play.

Foliage starts to pop around the first Thursday of October. Not sure why it's like that honestly. Lots of sugar maples up there so you get a nice red leaf typically.

Foliage starts to pop around the first Thursday of October. Not sure why it's like that honestly. Lots of sugar maples up there so you get a nice red leaf typically.

Yeah, it's about an hour away from here, but it always seems to peak about two weeks earlier (and is so much brighter). Well worth the drive.

Great review. I've been meaning to get up there this year as it was included in the mass tour card. Plus, it's only a half hour from my fiances parents house.

Nice Review! Looks like a course I could play but so far north.

Nice review. Like the challenge the layout presents and the scenery is gorgeous. I love playing fall golf at courses that have these types of views.

Pretty, pretty course. Great price too. Thanks for the review.

I grew up about 20 miles from there. However it hadn't been built yet. Boooo! Mt Monadnock is beautiful in the fall.

He lived there back when they still made all the clubs out of wood! .... I am so dead.

I've played the beast several times. Me and my partner keep score by counting fewest number of lost balls. Truth be told though a well struck 6 iron will keep you out of trouble off the tee on most holes, it's the greed that kills you with OB, and OB is everywhere.

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this thread as the course is under new ownership and there will be some shenanigans with THPers on Sunday

Ahhhhhh Shattuck. The only course I've been able to bounce an iron shot of not 1 but 2 stone granite walls and still end up on the green. :D

Funny, I have played The Shattuck about 20 times but the first time I shot 77 with two doubles on par 5's as I tried to reach in 2...…#5 and #15 and have never bettered that. Played it weeks after it opened and every year for about 7 years and a few times along the way of different owners. Good to hear things are going well there. It's a unique wonderland of target golf. Enjoy.

Funny, I have played The Shattuck about 20 times but the first time I shot 77 with two doubles on par 5's as I tried to reach in 2...…#5 and #15 and have never bettered that. Played it weeks after it opened and every year for about 7 years and a few times along the way of different owners. Good to hear things are going well there. It's a unique wonderland of target golf. Enjoy.

It’s the only course I’ve played where my stroke differential is +40 shot a 75 as one of my beat rounds, net 62 in a 2 man scramble and my worse score I didn’t break 115 :oops::oops::oops:

definitely a special place in my heart 😂

That course is where my father and my cousins learned how to play golf. Talk about starting on hardcore mode. :oops:

Back