Transitioning to career from college?

lvgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.6
In the future May 2016, I will most likely have graduated college and hopefully have a job lined up with my business degree. I know most say that college is about getting the degree, but I feel like so far I have been inadequately prepared for my future I rarely have to study to get the same grades I did in high school. I guess I am worried that I will get into a job and be like a oh crap, what am I doing here. If you guys would be so kind could you share your experiences with this good or bad so I can understand more about what I need to prepare myself for.

Thanks,
Dakota

Do your best to be as prepared as possible for every day of work.

I had to learn really early on as a steam and heat transfer engineer (I have a degree in political science), that the work day does not end when I get home. I spent many nights reading about paper machine process and power plant operations. I read my competitions literature more than my own.

People will help you out and see you as the new guy. Unless you make more money then them, then you're on your own.

Find yourself an internship and see if you like it. Sometimes you can work your way into a full time job from the internship (that's how ours work). Or the flip side you find out that's what you don't want to do and go in a different direction.

I would say that there a good many post degree careers are a lot of learning on the job anyway. Experience and know how comes from practical application.

I couldn't give too much other advice on the subject other than don't put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy the process. Play as hard as you work, and allow time for both. You only get one life, and the things that you do now ultimately become your memories down the road so be present.

Too much focus on the future makes the present a thing of the past.

You bring up a good point and one I have talked with several people about. Schools at all levels are doing a bad job preparing people for adult working life. Hopefully by time you graduate things will have improved with jobs but be prepared to have to take a job that might not be ideal but you can use it as a stepping stone. You will have to be prepared to work harder than those around you, depending on the job you get and/pr the job you want will probably require self preparation in off hours to read and learn more. If you haven't or aren't doing right now try to find an entry level job or internship to build your resume and get exposure to the culture and environment you are looking to be in.

Definitely want to do an internship, would love to do one in golf such as the ajga

Be where you are supposed to be at the time you are supposed to be there. Show a willingnesss to work hard and to do more than the minimum you are required to do. Don't be an ass. You will be amazed how far these basic things will take you, regardless of how much specific training your have for your particular job.

In the future May 2016, I will most likely have graduated college and hopefully have a job lined up with my business degree. I know most say that college is about getting the degree, but I feel like so far I have been inadequately prepared for my future I rarely have to study to get the same grades I did in high school. I guess I am worried that I will get into a job and be like a oh crap, what am I doing here. If you guys would be so kind could you share your experiences with this good or bad so I can understand more about what I need to prepare myself for.

Thanks,
Dakota

I'm creeping up on 30, have a business degree, and work in the insurance industry. I found college more about trying to learn how to manage responsibilities than anything else. Part time work, relationships, planning trips home, class work, sports, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. I've used very little textbook knowledge since I graduated. Obviously this varies from one industry to another. IMO, college is just about demonstrating an ability to learn. Industry specific licenses, education, etc are all important and probably the end game once you have a better idea of what direction you are going. Learning in college builds a foundation for these other things later.

I'd make sure that you can pick up on how various professors run class more than anything else. All the different personalities are a good sample in the business world and you never know who your manager is going to be. Therefore it is going to be helpful if you can identify which type of people you need to press for clarity on a task, which ones you need to form an opinion for on a matter before presentation vs the ones that will give you theirs, and so on.

Just my $0.02

I'm creeping up on 30, have a business degree, and work in the insurance industry. I found college more about trying to learn how to manage responsibilities than anything else. Part time work, relationships, planning trips home, class work, sports, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. I've used very little textbook knowledge since I graduated. Obviously this varies from one industry to another. IMO, college is just about demonstrating an ability to learn. Industry specific licenses, education, etc are all important and probably the end game once you have a better idea of what direction you are going. Learning in college builds a foundation for these other things later.

I'd make sure that you can pick up on how various professors run class more than anything else. All the different personalities are a good sample in the business world and you never know who your manager is going to be. Therefore it is going to be helpful if you can identify which type of people you need to press for clarity on a task, which ones you need to form an opinion for on a matter before presentation vs the ones that will give you theirs, and so on.

Just my $0.02

Well said. Pretty much nails it

Be where you are supposed to be at the time you are supposed to be there. Show a willingnesss to work hard and to do more than the minimum you are required to do. Don't be an ass. You will be amazed how far these basic things will take you, regardless of how much specific training your have for your particular job.

This...100 times.

1. Be on time if not early. It is shocking how many employees are always late, if they even bother to show up.
2. Don't pretend to know everything. I learned more in one year at a CPA firm as a staff accountant than 4 years of college could ever teach me. Coming in and telling everyone how you think certain things should be done is best left for later in your career...much later.
3. Don't complain too much and definitely get to know everyone before you open up. Just like life, most people will use anything you give them as ammunition. The old lady that just told you the rumors about another co-worker is likely talking about you to the very same person.
4. Do what you are hired to do! It's a job and hopefully will lead to a better job in the future.

***With the exception of No. 1, these are all from personal experience. lol

As other's have mentioned, an internship would be extremely beneficial. Personally, I initially spent 4 years as a commissioned Army officer. While I'm not recommending it, it would be an alternative if the job market doesn't improve at the time of your graduation. Plus, I found it to be a valuable experience. I also suggest that where ever you may land, seek out a mentor. During my first civilian job, I was given the best advice I ever received by someone I perceived as a mentor. He told me "the most important person to any organization is the one that asks the right questions, not the one with all the answers. Given the right questions, the answers are easily provided by a slew of people." So my advice is ask the right questions, finding the answers is the easy part.

It is going to be all about your will to succeed. If you want to work, have people skills and will do whatever it takes (ethically of course) to complete your job then people will notice and you will do just fine out in the work place. There are a ton of people who apply for jobs but only a select few that are really wanting that job to work. Be one of those that wants the job and is willing work.

I think internships are an amazing thing. They give you the work experience you need, and I know that most of the interns in my company transition into full time employment.

I work as a programmer, in school I got a part time entry-level job programming. It was as much of an education as actual school was and certainly prepared me for life after college. I'd recommend finding an internship or any job related to what you want to when you graduate.

The stuff I learned in college as a cybersecurity and information assurance major plays very little role in my position as a Computer Systems Security Analyst. It absolutely helps to have the background of an education, but I did not take a single class on interpreting government policies or directives, how to mark classified information, or what the difference is between a tactical PC and infrastructure PC. Most of my knowledge comes from on the job training.

This. Whatever job you find, show up on time and have a good attitude. Don't worry about wether your career is on track the first 5-7 years. Almost every college grad I know started out at the bottom in a job that was unrelated to their eventual career choice.

Start saving early by maxing out your 401k at least up to the employer match amount. Retirement is the last thing on your mind but paying off student loans early and starting a 401k is a must. Now that I'm pushing 50 I'm seeing a lot of my friends realizing that they didn't save enough when they were younger. My wife and I both started saving 10-15% of our income in our early 20's and now will have the option of retiring before age 55.

A quick example of the power of compounding interest. If you save $500/month starting at age 22 for 10 years(stop saving at age 32), at 9% interest you will have a nest egg of $1,700,000 at age 65.

Having worked as a recruiter, sales rep, logistics consultant, caddy as well as rental car branch manager I will say before you start applying for each and every business job under the sun don't be discouraged by the inability for recruiters to reply back to your applications.

Also, while you are still in school right now try to pick up a focus for your future instead of just having a generic degree. (IE major + minor, double major, major with a focus) - I wish I did that in College beyond my Marketing major and Finance minor....

Feel free to PM me with any questions - I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to job searching.

you should not learn how to do the job in college, make sure you get enough basic knowlege to learn how to learn to do your job.

you will struggle at first, but keep a good attitude, an open mind and most important of all, smile, people will be more likely to want to help you.

Thanks,
Dakota
Eventually you should seek out a professional development program. Each company will have something different but it provides you the flexibility of trying different roles within the company before making a decision.

I find most people just fall into jobs straight out of college looking for whatever they can. This includes myself. You end up making compromises and work somewhere or in a position that doesn't engage you. I think a development program will help facilitate your decision and future.

Having worked as a recruiter, sales rep, logistics consultant, caddy as well as rental car branch manager I will say before you start applying for each and every business job under the sun don't be discouraged by the inability for recruiters to reply back to your applications.

Also, while you are still in school right now try to pick up a focus for your future instead of just having a generic degree. (IE major + minor, double major, major with a focus) - I wish I did that in College beyond my Marketing major and Finance minor....

Feel free to PM me with any questions - I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to job searching.
I'm business administration with a concentration in management, would it still help to have a minor?

I went to school to be a golf pro and it's operations ( shop / lessons / etc) . I lasted 3 months after graduating , hated the pay and no benefits . Went right straight to the steel mills in area applied. Started working a week later with benefits and above excellent pay.
Always keep an open mind , the jobs that some consider less desirable ... Pay very very well . They secure a nice lifestyle for you and your family. 25 years ..edit ( approaching) , and not leaving

As has been mentioned in some form already, IMO college is there to teach you how to learn. You have a short time (1 semester) to learn a ton of stuff, can you do it? That is what it was to me as I look back on the college years. That is what you are asked to do in the real world: "Here is what we want/need you to do, can you do it if we show you how?"

I graduated with a business degree and outside a few basic things, nothing I did in college is relevant in the real world. Wherever you end up, they will (hopefully) teach you what you need to know for the particular industry. There are a handful of computer programs that I use on a daily basis and none of them would have ever been taught in a college course. The basic computer course I took in college for things like spreadsheets and word programming were on D.O.S. The biggest thing is learning what all basic programs do and then transferring that knowledge to whatever program you are using. I use Excel through most of the day and knew very little coming out of school, but I had some help along the way and now I'm one of the people that others come to when they need to figure something out.

Don't sweat it too much right now. Unless you are in a very specific field, whatever job you get, you will most likely be starting from scratch anyway. And the company will expect that. Sure, they will want some basic skills, but they will train you do things how they want them done.

They often say "it's not what you know, it's who you know". While that may not be entirely true, I'd foster as many connections as you can once you start your employment. You never know who you may meet, and you may be surprised that one time you call someone up with an opportunity (for you, or them) and they remember who you were and how professional you were.

It should also go without saying but: always walk with your head up, look everyone in the eye, always give a firm hand shake, and at least act like you enjoy what you are doing.

i worked in my field while pursuing my graduate degree. it was crazy stressful working full time and going to school full time, but it made my classes that much easier because i could take real-world experiences and apply them to my classes.

Back