Forum Testing Signup - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 & 815 DBD Drivers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the wonderful forum members and we have another new testing project. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

The Equipment
Callaway is releasing 2 new drivers to be a part of the Big Bertha family that includes V-Series. The family features 3 drivers with different characteristics for different golfers' needs. The newest models are Big Bertha Alpha 815 and Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond and THP wants you to review them.

Criteria
You must be able to play golf. Either on the course or in a practice facility.
We will select some THPers to review both the 815 and 815 DBD.
You will receive a brand new driver.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the product and update the official testing thread with feedback on your findings. You must be on the forum to answer questions throughout the testing period as well as discuss the club thoroughly.

This is long term testing and will need updates for a period of a month or so. If you are looking for info on what forum testing feedback should look like, check out one of the many review threads to see how others have fared.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What driver are you currently playing?
2. What loft do you play it at?
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play?
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player?
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver?
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

Testing is open to all Members on THP. However free shipping of the driver (if selected) is only available to Albatross Club Members (along with many other perks). If you are not a member & would like to become one and help support Folds Of Honor, click here.

Newsletter
If you sign up for the free THP Digital Newsletter that hits your inbox each month, you could find out about testing before anybody else. You can sign up by clicking on the Newsletter tab at the top of the page.

Testers
brianbigoats
Spring182
Miller Time - DBD
kc720 - DBD
OUZO Power

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my.....this is gonna be good!

1. What driver are you currently playing? Cobra Bio Cell +
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Matrix Red Tie stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Horizontal / heel to toe
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not

1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway X2 Hot
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5°
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila Tour Blue in stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin.
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Mostly better distance on off-center hits, laterally in particular. Much as I'd love to get less curvature from shots, that's a byproduct of my swing, not the club.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not, mostly due to a lack of testing facilities in the area.

Thanks so much to THP and Callaway for this awesome testing opportunity!

Wow. What an amazing testing opportunity.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Big Bertha Alpha
2. What loft do you play it at? 9*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Tour Green stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I tend to do better with low spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? I like forgiveness
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not yet tested the Alpha 815 line

Thanks to Callaway and THP for this incredible opportunity.

Awesome, thanks Callaway and THP!
1) Big Bertha (non - alpha)
2) 13.5 normally, but 12.5 and 14.5 have been played with success
3) Stock Fubuki ZT in stiff
4) I am a moderate to high spin player
5) Lateral forgiveness, specifically out on the toe
6) I have not yet tested these drivers

...and let the fun begin.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Bridgestone J40 445

2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5*

3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Tour AD DI 6x

4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High Spin

5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Forgiveness laterally heel to toe

6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not had the opportunity.

Amazing product testing opportunity! Thanks THP and Callaway!

1. Cleveland Classic 290
2. 10.5 degrees
3. Miyazaki White 61S in stiff flex
4. Though not confirmed, I believe I am a mid to high spin player based on ball flight I see on the course.
5. I need more forgiveness than I get from my current driver. Especially on misses that are low on the club face and on the toe end of the club.
6. I have not tested these 2 models specifically so cannot speak to them. I did hit 3 balls with a fellow THPer's V Series driver this past weekend and absolutely loved everything I saw from all 3 balls (higher launch, more distance and seemingly lower spin than my current driver).

And I can play outdoors year round.

Last edited:
Currently have a Callaway Diablo Edge
11*
Aldila Habanero - Regular. It's the stock shaft. Planning to move on to a stiff on my next driver.
High spin. I'd like to eliminate that as much as possible.
I'd like to see shots low on the face and/or towards the heel travel a long way.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts?
As there are no lefthanded clubs available for demo-purposes in the area, I have not.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Big Bertha Alpha
2. What loft do you play it at? 9 degrees
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High Spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Max Forgiveness, center of the club is not always an option
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? Have not hit these drivers, but would def like too

Thanks you to THP & Callaway for a chance at this amazing opportunity

Man oh man. I wish I could participate in Kong term testing but ohiotopia is not going to allow that. Thank you thp and callaway for this awesome opportunity

1. What driver are you currently playing? Cleveland 588 custom
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? the stock red tie
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? mid high
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? i need forgiveness, a lot of it
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not yet tested the Alpha 815 line

1. Titleist 913d3
2. Loft= 8.5 degrees
3. Shaft= Diamana Whiteboard 72 X-flex
4. I am a high spin player so I prefer a low spin driver.
5. I look more for workability than forgiveness.
6. I have not tested either the new Callaway drivers.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Nike Covert 2.0
2. What loft do you play it at? 12.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Kuro Kage Black Regular
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Mid High
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Lateral
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not

1. What driver are you currently playing? I am currently playing a TM SLDR and Cobra Bio cell+
2. What loft do you play it at? I play T 10.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? I have a red tie stiff and a stock TM stiff shaft
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? I'd say a low spin player
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Vertical more than anything
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I haven't yet but would like to.

Ohhhhhhhhhh... My....

1. What driver are you currently playing? callaway x2 hot pro (and prior to that the Alpha with core up)
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Diamana d+72 stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? High on the face is key for me. There, and on the toe.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not yet. I swung the 815 in a bay at a store, but it had a regular flex shaft and I was wearing dress shoes so it definitely wasn't scientific. Definitely had a different sound than the Alpha and X2 Hot pro, but that is all I can really comment on for now.

1. What driver are you currently playing? PING G25
2. What loft do you play it at? 12 degrees
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina 70x (X-Flex)
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin, I have a steeper AoA
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? High MOI for toe and low center shots, large head to frame the ball
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not hit either yet, this driver has been on my short list since reading about it though

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts on these. I already have one ordered so I can give my thoughts while allowing others the opportunity to test.

Dang it , I don't think i'll get enough golf in this winter to give it a real on course test so I'll pass on this amazing opprotunity and let another THP'er get a better chance . Thank You THP and Callaway for the amazing testing opprotunity . And I really wanted to hit a new Bertha bad too .

What an awesome opportunity.

1. What driver are you currently playing? TaylorMade RBZ
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Grafalloy Blue stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High spin (looking to reduce off the tee)
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Horizontal, specifically the toe (my most common miss)
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? No, I have not

Those look pretty slick, good luck everyone

1. What driver are you currently playing? TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 TP
2. What loft do you play it at? 9.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila RIP 60 3.2 X-Stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Higher than necessary
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? I miss more laterally across the face, and anything I can get to help square the club face at impact.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? Nope

Last edited:
1. What driver are you currently playing? Callaway Big Bertha V series
2. What loft do you play it at? 10*
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? speeder 565, stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Low spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? High on the face
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? No I have not tested these drivers

Awesome thanks THP and Callaway.

1. I am Currently playing a Cobra Bio Cell
2. I've tinkered a lot with loft, I've had success at 12* and right now I have it at 9.5D with good success.
3. It currently has a Fubuki Alpha 60 stiff in it.
4. I believe I'm currently a high spin.
5. I look for forgiving drivers that help with shots off the heel.
6. I have not tested these drivers yet, but they do look amazing.

1. What driver are you currently playing? Big Bertha
2. What loft do you play it at? 10.5 +1
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Fujikura ESC 5.0 in Stiff
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? High
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? Heel and toe
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? Have not tested either of these.

What an awesome opportunity! Thanks THP and Callaway!

1. What driver are you currently playing? TaylorMade SLDR
2. What loft do you play it at? 12.5
3. What shaft and shaft flex do you currently play? Aldila 44 Magnum in Stiff Flex
4. Do you think you are a high spin or low spin player? Low Spin
5. What type of forgiveness do you look for in a driver? My misses tend to be towards the heel or toe, so lateral forgiveness is most important to me.
6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not tried either driver.

TM SLDR

Motore F1 Stiff

High spin

More than I have now, I feel like I am giving something away.

6. Have you tested these drivers? If so, what are your thoughts? I have not yet tested them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back