Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review from Mizuno are the new JPX-850 Forged irons which are replacing the 825 Pro's in their line. These are the irons that we heard so much about earlier in the year with their infusion of Boron into the metal in an effort to provide better performance. Mizuno sent in to THP the 4-GW setup paired with the brand new True Temper XP115 shafts.

Information on the JPX-850 Forged:

After 6 years of development - the introduction of BORON to Mizuno’s Grain Flow Forging process allows the JPX-850 Forged to overcome the distance limitations of traditional forged irons.

Mizuno’s new material is 30% stronger than traditional 1025E steel billets – allowing for a thinner face and extreme ball speeds. The result is an incredible iron that combines Grain Flow Forged precision and feel with shocking distance. A combination that was unachievable before BORON.

This new, thinner face is strategically reinforced by a Power Frame cavity which places weight to the extreme corners of the club head for maximum forgiveness along with increased distance. A clean, sleek design combined with these breakthrough technologies delivers an iron that looks and plays like nothing before.

tech-diagram-jpx-850-forged-L.png

Tech Spec's

• Grain Flow Forged 1025 BORON: 30% stronger material for thinner face and longer distance while delivering soft, solid, consistent feel.
  • Power Frame: Enables entire face to flex for increased ball speeds and distance.
  • Ultra CNC Milled Pocket: Higher launch angle and increased ball speeds in 4 through 7 irons.

CLUB #456789PWGW
LHYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
LOFT2225283236404550
LIE60.060.561.061.562.062.563.063.0
OFFSET.160".150".140".130".120".110".100".090"
BOUNCE12234567
LENGTH38.25"37.75"37.25"36.75"36.25"35.75"35.50"35.25"

Stock Shaft: True Temper XP115 (R300, S300)

In-Hand Images:
DSC_0139-L.jpg

DSC_0165-L.jpg

DSC_0167-L.jpg

DSC_0170-L.jpg

DSC_0108-L.jpg

DSC_0106-L.jpg

DSC_0124-L.jpg

DSC_0113-L.jpg

DSC_0129-L.jpg

DSC_0130-L.jpg

DSC_0135-L.jpg

DSC_0134-L.jpg

DSC_0136-L.jpg

DSC_0150-L.jpg

DSC_0155-L.jpg

DSC_0152-L.jpg

DSC_0158-L.jpg

DSC_0171-L.jpg

DSC_0173-L.jpg

DSC_0174-L.jpg

DSC_0175-L.jpg

DSC_0178-L.jpg

DSC_0160-L.jpg

Iron-By-Iron Images (In Spoilers):

4i:
Spoiler

DSC_0196-L.jpg

DSC_0197-L.jpg

DSC_0198-L.jpg

DSC_0199-L.jpg

5i:
Spoiler

DSC_0200-L.jpg

DSC_0207-L.jpg

DSC_0202-L.jpg

6i:
Spoiler

DSC_0204-L.jpg

DSC_0206-L.jpg

DSC_0205-L.jpg

7i:
Spoiler

DSC_0208-L.jpg

DSC_0210-L.jpg

DSC_0211-L.jpg

8i:
Spoiler

DSC_0214-L.jpg

DSC_0215-L.jpg

DSC_0216-L.jpg

9i:
Spoiler

DSC_0218-L.jpg

DSC_0220-L.jpg

DSC_0221-L.jpg

PW:
Spoiler

DSC_0226-L.jpg

DSC_0227-L.jpg

DSC_0228-L.jpg

DSC_0229-L.jpg

GW:
Spoiler

DSC_0230-L.jpg

DSC_0231-L.jpg

DSC_0232-L.jpg

Amazing photos as always James!

Boron? Looking forward to learning what that means to us in golf clubs.

They're just too beautiful to believe. JMAN you're a very lucky dude. I'm envious of you. Enjoy!

Those irons are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for all the awesome detailed pics James. Can't wait to hear your thoughts after you start putting them through the paces.

Great pics Jman and I look forward to your thoughts.

I have been gaming these for about a month now and will say they are my favorite of 2014 and will likely be my fav next year and perhaps beyond. I have the NIPPON shaft and it has made and awesome club even better. These are not MP soft but the feel is amazing. I wont talk about them too much as this is a testing thread but these irons quickly replaced my MP 54s which I thought would be in the bag for quite a while.

Enjoy testing these James.

I hit these for fun after my shaft fitting. Really interested to read what you see in terms of distance and launch on off center hits as I saw some interesting things when compared to some other clubs with similar profiles

Good looking sticks but it could just be the great photography. Looking forward to your thoughts as you have done well with irons like this in the past.

Great looking irons.

They would definitely be in contention for my next set if I didn't need to go with more of a distance iron. #shortknocker

I think I heard my JPX 800 Pro's shiver with fear (in a good way)

boy oh boy these are pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics Jman and I look forward to your thoughts.

Been playing these for about a month now. Soft but not like the MP. However they quickly replaced my MP 54s which I thought would be in the bag for some time. I wont comment beyond this since its a testing thread but these are my absolute fav irons.

Enjoy swinging these beauties James.

Thanks all, will be getting them out for the first time on Saturday with THP'ers, should be interesting as a getting to know you session.

Also, I'll add that I'm surprised at the size profile of these in hand, they're surprisingly close the the Vapor Pro-Combo's I just finished reviewing which are more of a GE iron than a GI setup.

I found them somewhere between the Apex and Apex Pros.

That's one clean looking set.

Oh my, nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

And guess who gets to hit them this weekend during a round if he wants? haha
I wish I could, cant make it down (I talked to phil earlier today) domt want to get into the why here, but to say I am pissed would be a huge understatement

Great photos & waiting for your evaluation JMan!

You and Canadan need to have a picture-off.

Great work on the photos, Jman. Mizuno knows how to make a good-looking iron. They are more compact-looking than I was expecting.

I wish I could, cant make it down (I talked to phil earlier today) domt want to get into the why here, but to say I am pissed would be a huge understatement

Sorry to hear that buddy, but you and I shall get that round in sooner rather than later.

These are a beautiful looking golf club. Just nice and clean.

WOW!!!! The look is amazing hope they play as good as they look. Once again Jman can't wait until your review of those sweet sticks.

Another line of good looking clubs from Mizuno. I like how they got rid of the color in the cavity. Makes for a cleaner looking club IMO.

Nice looking set. Interested to hear your thoughts on them with the boron.

Very nice pics James. This set looks so nice. Looking forward to your thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back