Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Probably some of the best looking irons I've laid eyes on. Cannot wait to hear your thoughts.

This is the one I'm waiting for and can't wait to see if I could make the jump from my 800s to these 850s.

Great pictures Jman. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get some quality time with them.

I fell in love with the Non forged ones and never gave them a shot. I figured until I get a bit more consistent I need all the forgiveness I can get on toe shots. Maybe ill b ready for the forged 875s lol

Great pics, another review I will be
looking foreword too.

Those look great dude, I think the profile is perfect, they look like they're a bit larger than the MP4 and a little narrower than the H5.

great pics James.

glad to see jman taking up the review for these irons. I've gotten a few rounds in my set already so I may jump in with some thoughts of my own at some point.

More thoughts the merrier, always.

I'll admit, I'm completely skeptical about the Boron aspect of the irons, it sounds good on paper, but I want to see numbers and performance differences compared to the prior iterations. It is nice to see Mizuno really making a push at a true change within the line though, they also got the aesthetics right on these IMO, much better than the blue badging of the non forged version.

Interesting fact I found researching last night, these have less offset than the Vapor PC's in the long irons, and only marginally more in the short. They don't offer the progressive sizing nature we are seeing so often in irons of this class as they move from short to long irons either, one of few who haven't really made a push to that, the soles remain the same throughout as does the profile size.

The XP 115's are really intriguing too, and there is next to nothing out there on them.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on these, Jman. I've tried them in the store with a C Taper Lite and they are about a club and a half longer than my current clubs. I love that the longer irons aren't offset a ton like most non-pro style irons.

Looking good. While I think they might not be the best for me I'm intrigued. I'm more interested in hearing about the shaft choice. That weight seems to be right in the sweet spot for me.

Looking good. While I think they might not be the best for me I'm intrigued. I'm more interested in hearing about the shaft choice. That weight seems to be right in the sweet spot for me.

Yeah, them expanding the new XP line was needed IMO, the XP95 and XP105 shafts are really good at what they do, if these continue on that I expect to see some pretty significant launch.

Be still my heart...I think these might be the most beautiful irons I've seen this year. If they really deliver on Mizuno's admittedly aggressive claim that they have "shocking distance" with feel and acceptable forgiveness, I may be getting poorer this coming year...

More thoughts the merrier, always.

I'll admit, I'm completely skeptical about the Boron aspect of the irons, it sounds good on paper, but I want to see numbers and performance differences compared to the prior iterations. It is nice to see Mizuno really making a push at a true change within the line though, they also got the aesthetics right on these IMO, much better than the blue badging of the non forged version.

Interesting fact I found researching last night, these have less offset than the Vapor PC's in the long irons, and only marginally more in the short. They don't offer the progressive sizing nature we are seeing so often in irons of this class as they move from short to long irons either, one of few who haven't really made a push to that, the soles remain the same throughout as does the profile size.

The XP 115's are really intriguing too, and there is next to nothing out there on them.

I'll say this about the Boron thing, it makes a difference but it's not going to be so much that you're going to want Boron in everything you hit. I've hit some shots with my 4 or 5 that I thought had no business going near as far as they did but still managed to get close. You really notice it on mishits more than anything else.

The XP 115s are pretty sick. I hit them during my fitting and couldn't find any info on them. Are they only available for Mizunos?

I love these irons! My buddy has them and they feel so smooth!

I'll say this about the Boron thing, it makes a difference but it's not going to be so much that you're going to want Boron in everything you hit. I've hit some shots with my 4 or 5 that I thought had no business going near as far as they did but still managed to get close. You really notice it on mishits more than anything else.

The XP 115s are pretty sick. I hit them during my fitting and couldn't find any info on them. Are they only available for Mizunos?
Nah, they'll be released from TT this year I believe. Much like with the XP105's in the EZ's last year.

That's what I was figuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have these out tomorrow, and Cookie and MikeG will be able to hit them throughout the day since they're in my group. We should get some pretty well rounded initial thoughts with those three swings in the group.

Last edited:
Great work Jman, excellent photos. Love the aesthetics of these.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the JPX 800 and 825 have a blue cavity standard version that was non-forged and the black cavity "Pro" version that was forged?
So does the 850 line offer the standard and Pro version with the choice of non-forged (blue) or forged (silver), so more options?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the JPX 800 and 825 have a blue cavity standard version that was non-forged and the black cavity "Pro" version that was forged?
So does the 850 line offer the standard and Pro version with the choice of non-forged (blue) or forged (silver), so more options?

The "Pro" is now the "Forged", only the JPX-850 and JPX-850 Forged are offered now.

The "Pro" is now the "Forged", only the JPX-850 and JPX-850 Forged are offered now.

So is there much difference between the 2 besides the cast vs forged?

So is there much difference between the 2 besides the cast vs forged?

Yep, just like with the 825 Pro vs 825, the Forged 850 is smaller and much more of a GI/GE area club than the 850 which will have thicker topline, more offset, and wider soles.

I've hit the 6 iron a handful of times, and over all i liked what i saw in the looks, the feel and the distance .

Yep, just like with the 825 Pro vs 825, the Forged 850 is smaller and much more of a GI/GE area club than the 850 which will have thicker topline, more offset, and wider soles.

Thanks for the replies, I really like the look of these, especially the all silver. They look more brushed and less shiny/chrome than other Mizunos.

Thanks for the replies, I really like the look of these, especially the all silver. They look more brushed and less shiny/chrome than other Mizunos.

They def are, which I prefer too. I'm personally not a big polished chrome guy, they show wear more than satin as well IMO.

Back