Little tips, tweaks and thoughts

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought I'd share a few successful tips, tweaks and thoughts that help me during a round. I'm looking forward to hearing what works for others as well!

Tempo: I watch this over and over when my tempo gets out of whack; I can play it in my head on the course and it always helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tgYm7w0Ak

Chipping: I'll grip the club completely in my palms; it allows me to be aggressive with my strike on the ball without letting my hands influence the shot. The ball comes off soft and controllable with a lot of spin.

Fading: I play a fade on most shots. At times, my swing gets a little steep and I'll start flaring shots to the right (it also leads to left shots, but as I try to NEVER hit left, I'll open up and hit the flare). When this happens, I'll grip the club away from the ball with a little bit of a hooded face. Then when I address the ball with the club gripped in that position, I'll square the clubface (leaving my hands on the club and not readjusting) and that in turn will get my shoulders back to a good spot and allow my right elbow to stay close to my body. Then I can take my normal swing and there is zero impulse to get steep.

Drawing: I'm forced to play about 6 draws from the tee at the course I've started playing. To play the draw consistently, I will grip the club again with a slightly hooded face, then leave it that way when I address the ball. For me, the key to hitting the draw without hooking is to move my sternum ahead of the ball just before impact; then I try to keep my shoulders going down the line while turning my hips through hard to the left. This creates a penetrating draw, and because of my body and shoulder positions, it's almost impossible to start the ball left or turn the face too far left through impact. I also do this on my wedges; the draw swing really produces a solid strike with great distance control and spin.

At the top: I've really focused on mimicking Steve Stricker. Of course the wrists do cock, but the feeling is that they never do. This has improved my ball striking tremendously. I do this with every club in the bag.

When I HAVE to hit the fairway: I hit driver off the deck. It's actually a lot easier with today's drivers, and now that I've cut my driver to 43.5", it's very easy to control. I can count on hitting the fairway 75% or better with a tiny little cut.

When it's all going wrong: I do 2 things; 1) think of the tempo vid above, and 2) choke up and narrow my stance. Usually, this will get me back on track within a shot or two. Sometimes I'll just play the entire round this way.

Putting: In practice and in play, I'll putt a lot of the time without looking. If I putt and then just listen for the ball to drop without looking, I'll start to get the feel back immediately, and I will also know soon be able to tell where a putt is heading as soon as it's struck. This provides nearly instant results!

Sand shots: 1) ACCELERATE, 2) TURN THOSE HIPS... 'nuff said about that

Trouble shots: Being able to hit a high or low hook, draw, slice or fade on command is CRITICAL. Learn to hit left handed or back handed when necessary. Also, when I have a restricted swing, I always use a trick Johnny Miller offered many years ago: grip the club way low with one, or even both hands on the shaft. Immediately break your wrists and the club will have a very small arc. Amazingly, you can hit the ball at least 50% distance this way! If you have a tree above or behind you, or a wall interfering with the backswing, this tip is awesome! I tried to find it on the web, but couldn't.

Tweaks: Experiment with the speed of clearing the hips
Experiment with hooding or opening the clubface at address (NOT by gripping normally and turning the clubface, turn the clubface one way or the other, THEN grip normally)
Experiment with a wider or more narrow stance
Experiment with ball position
Experiment with curves and trajectories

Glad you found stuff that works well for you.

What a great list to follow or experiment with. Makes me think that over the winter in the northeast I should compile a list of tips, tricks or methods that I use and that work to produce a certain result. I'll do it sometimes but then not keep at it. I have one question for you about fading the ball. You mention that you hood the club and then place it behind the ball which in my eyes makes the grip stronger which normally is a tip for hitting a draw but are able to fade the ball. Is the difference to hit the draw you keep the club hooded at address? Interesting but please explain or show me how this works. Good stuff, thanks.

Last edited:
Each of us are different. It is great fun finding what works. Happy you are finding "your" way in the game.

Yes, we all have to find our own way. But it's nice to have a few "go to" fixes. Every one that I use came from someone else - either a magazine, a friend, a YouTube vid or just someone saying "hey, try this". Sometimes you just come across a tip that really makes that light bulb come on.

What a great list to follow or experiment with. Makes me think that over the winter in the northeast I should compile a list of tips, tricks or methods that I use and that work to produce a certain result. I'll do it sometimes but then not keep at it. I have one question for you about fading the ball. You mention that you hood the club and then place it behind the ball which in my eyes makes the grip stronger which normally is a tip for hitting a draw but are able to fade the ball. Is the difference to hit the draw you keep the club hooded at address? Interesting but please explain or show me how this works. Good stuff, thanks.

For me, my go to shot is a fade. Sometimes I'll find myself weakening my grip, or getting my shoulders out of alignment. This will start causing me to come in too steeply to the ball, and I can tell immediately when this is happening as my divots get deep and I wind up fighting to keep from going left. My normal grip is very neutral, and when this starts happening, I'll slightly hood the face and then take my normal grip. Now when I place the club behind the ball, the face is very slightly closed - from here, I can square the club face (without removing my hands from the club) and this puts me in better alignment with a very slight strong grip. This allows me to start shallowing out my swing, and after a couple of shots (sometimes a whole round) I'll start getting back to my usual neutral grip and alignment. Ideally, I'll hit a very slight fade with just a little bit of a late release. If I start holding off on the release to keep from going left, I know that my grip and/or alignment is starting to make me come in steep.

When I want to draw the ball, I'll address the ball with the club slightly closed and keep it that way. Again, if I can get my sternum in front of the ball before impact, and keep my shoulders from opening up, that will allow me to rotate my hips fast and the shot will always start right with a varying amount of right-to-left spin. Doing this makes it very hard to hit a snap hook or come over the top. For me, fade or draw, I NEVER want to bring the left side of the course into play.

Who knows, this may only work for me; but the way I look at it, I'd like to hear ANY tip that I can try out to make me better!

Good luck and I hope the winter doesn't keep you off the course for too long!

Back