I bought a forged iron to hit balls with at the range.

Silverbullet01

Tee it high, let it fly!
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought it would be a good idea to buy a nice, used Wilson FG Tour V2 7-iron, to hit at the driving range to dial in my ball striking skills. How many of you do this, and why or why not it would be a good idea. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I don't do it. My irons are forgiving but I know when I miss. I don't see a reason to hit something more penal than my gamers even at the range

I have a training aid that's specifically smaller than a normal iron head I use. If I can hit that, I don't worry about much else

I have a training aid that's specifically smaller than a normal iron head I use. If I can hit that, I don't worry about much else

A little bit along the same lines Ward. I know that my C100 Wilson irons are quite forgiving, but I know that when I miss one with the forged iron, I'll feel it fo sho.

Great idea, but I don't want to get used to swinging something that isn't my club. I don't want my gamers to feel foreign to me

The idea in theory is good if you have a sound swing and good mechanics. If these aren't in place, you won't find them by using a blade. If your gamers are easier to hit and you're having issues, I suggest lessons. If this is the case, you will do more damage trying to figure out how to hit the blade. Good luck with the experiment

I have an older Nike VR blade 8iron I use on the range at times since it has a small sweet spot and tons of feedback when struck

I've never really understood practicing with a club that you weren't going to play with.

I've never understood the idea of negative reinforcement either.

I could be wrong, but isn't that kind of the idea of the "Tour Striker"?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts and the progress you make with it, it may work for you or it may not, time will tell.

Judging by your handicap can't you get the same feedback from your C100's? you're obviously a good golfer. I think the only difference would be a smaller area for the miss but the miss is still a miss.

Make sure to post your thoughts and let us know how it's working.

The V2's are forged but have a fairly thick sole and quite a bit of forgiveness and wouldn't be much different than your C100's other than the offset, IMO.

I've never really understood practicing with a club that you weren't going to play with.

I've never understood the idea of negative reinforcement either.
I'm the same way. Why practice with something you won't be using on the course. You will have no idea on your distances, on good shots and misses.

If you want to be a better ball striker, use your gamers and use impact tape for a cheaper option or go get lessons.

A little bit along the same lines Ward. I know that my C100 Wilson irons are quite forgiving, but I know that when I miss one with the forged iron, I'll feel it fo sho.

My little aid is basically just a sweet spot of an iron. It's not meant for distance really, just to hit the center of the face since it's basically as big as a ball

The idea in theory is good if you have a sound swing and good mechanics. If these aren't in place, you won't find them by using a blade. If your gamers are easier to hit and you're having issues, I suggest lessons. If this is the case, you will do more damage trying to figure out how to hit the blade. Good luck with the experiment

Well said!

I actually just bought a new forged Cobra 3 iron, that I am going to try as my warm up club (I'm one of the few left who actually like 3 irons). Figured it would have to help me focus & make hitting my other clubs seem so much easier ... we will see

I could be wrong, but isn't that kind of the idea of the "Tour Striker"?

My thoughts as well. The Tour Striker would likely be a better training aid (because that's what it is) as it forces one to have right amount of forward shaft lean.

I actually just bought a new forged Cobra 3 iron, that I am going to try as my warm up club (I'm one of the few left who actually like 3 irons). Figured it would have to help me focus & make hitting my other clubs seem so much easier ... we will see
I have never been able to focus my way into good contact. The swing is happening too fast for me to do anything about it.

I know it's a somewhat controversial subject to some but I did it years ago and I swore that it worked.

I bought an old set of Hogan PC blades on ebay for cheap and had the lie-angles bent to match my set. Also made sure the lengths aligned, didn't worry about loft.

I found that I instinctively shortened my swing with the blades over time to better ensure solid contact. The more compact swing carried over to the course after just a few weeks of practice and I enjoyed better iron play.

I had the same mentality once. Bought a whole set that was "going to help me swing better" but in the end all it did was mess me up. 2 years later, my game hasn't been this bad in 10 years.

It was a terrible mistake that I'll never repeat. Give me the most forgiving iron available now. The new Big Berths irons are on my radar big time!

Awesome reply Tadashi. Thanks and I will post here how things go w/ the forged iron.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts and the progress you make with it, it may work for you or it may not, time will tell.

Judging by your handicap can't you get the same feedback from your C100's? you're obviously a good golfer. I think the only difference would be a smaller area for the miss but the miss is still a miss.

Make sure to post your thoughts and let us know how it's working.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I need to concentrate on a couple of things during my next range session and it may not include using the forged iron.

The V2's are forged but have a fairly thick sole and quite a bit of forgiveness and wouldn't be much different than your C100's other than the offset, IMO.

Thanks Tahoe. I may or may not use the V2. I bought it, so I just might as well swing it.

I'm the same way. Why practice with something you won't be using on the course. You will have no idea on your distances, on good shots and misses.

If you want to be a better ball striker, use your gamers and use impact tape for a cheaper option or go get lessons.

I think this is the best idea I have read so far. Thanks for the idea Greg. I'm going to buy some impact tape this coming week.

You should do what you wanted to do with it, it very well may help your ball striking or at least getting somewhat consistent near the sweet spot. We all have our own journeys in this game and what others do to seek improvement is up to them, enjoy your forged iron, they're wonderful when you find some success with them and it truly may help you, none of us know what will work for each other.

You should do what you wanted to do with it, it very well may help your ball striking or at least getting somewhat consistent near the sweet spot. We all have our own journeys in this game and what others do to seek improvement is up to them, enjoy your forged iron, they're wonderful when you find some success with them and it truly may help you, none of us know what will work for each other.

Thanks Trout for the kind words. I'm going to give it a few swings tomorrow and see how she performs.

i would personally practice with what i play with but would not hesitate using a practice/range club with a blade, but with the SAME SHAFT AND SAME GRIP as my gamers. with the idea of keeping everything else constant

I think 1 thing that is being over looked is the fact that it's a V2. Love that iron. It's not the route I would go to become a better ball striker but I hope it works for you.

Thanks for all your input fellas. It is greatly appreciated.

Back