Holes With Meandering Streams

The first time I played a hole with a creek, I aimed right at it, thinking my ball would probably move it in one direction or the other. Well I hit it dead straight and put it in the creek. After that I started picking a side and commit to it.

On the 18th hole of the DP World Tour Championship, there is a stream that winds up the middle of the fairway, splitting the hole into two sections on each shot..

dp-world-tour-championship-day-20131117-135555-492.jpg

I recently played a course in Indianapolis that had a similar design, and rather than hit to one side, I opted to hit right into the stream haha -- I guess it just messes with my head to think about not aiming for the center of the fairway.

How do you all handle a hole like that? Love it? Hate it? Find a ton of success? That photo above looks terrifying.

Dan proofing a course.... we will just stick a stream in the middle of the fairway since that is all you know how to hit....

I have played a few courses like this and they do play with your head slightly

Gorgeous looking hole for sure. I would just pick my target spot to hit to and go from there. Not too long ago I would have just gripped it and ripped it and hoped for the best, now I just pick that spot and go from there.

Usually I've found the best way to handle running streams like that is to forget it's there and then just make a poorly executed swing so my ball has no chance but to go into the stream. Of course with there being multiple attempts, it may not necessarily be off the tee when I find it. I've perfected the layup into a hazard strategy just as well as I have off the tee.

Safari Golf Club, near Columbus, Ohio--18th hole has a stream that segments the fairway frequently. It's a par 4, but to be safe you have to hit to each "island" with a successive short iron. I think I went 7i, 7i, wedge when I played there.

Can't say that I've had a stream running through the middle of a fairway, but i've definitely played split fairways where the middle is just as good as a penalty. They don't bother me too much. Usually I just let my drive dictate which side I'll be on, and I play conservative from there.

~Rock

Dan proofing a course.... we will just stick a stream in the middle of the fairway since that is all you know how to hit....

I have played a few courses like this and they do play with your head slightly

That course would steam roll me hahaha!

I've played a couple holes like this. I take aim at it honestly. I don't have the kind of control that I'd actually hit into it.

This has been my strategy the last two times I played a hole like this.. Aim at the stream and let the ball work left like it always does... Except those times... Where it went straight..

I love multiple chances to rinse my ball in the same body of water!

Aim at the stream and let the ball work left like it always does... Except those times... Where it went straight..

That would be exactly my luck....aim at a target that 99.9% of the time you would never hit, to then hit that one shot that goes exactly where you didn't want it to go.....straight at said target!

Hate it! Isn't golf hard enough without making the fairway a hazard?

Commit to a side and stick with it. Play it like there is only one fairway.

I would definitely stay to the right. My miss is always right. It does look like an intimidating hole.

I agree, that hole looked extremely intimidating when I was watching the DP. I'm probably not going to address a hole like that any differently, because it really isn't any different, your target is just smaller and there are two of them. I would probably play it a little safer with tee club selection though, to make sure I put myself in a good spot.

I aim right at it and let my swing flaw push, or hook the ball to either side.

If by some miracle I hit it dead straight into the hazard, then it's a stupid hole!

I'd just ignore it and let'er fly. I know for a fact if there is a hazard I will find a way into it.

That is a fun looking hole right there. I'm thinking left then right then left then right.

Um, avoid the stream.......

I really enjoy watching the pros play that hole, I would just try and hit three safe shots that give me the best opportunity to stay safe. I have played a couple of holes like this and they can eat you up if you let them.

Haven't played a hole like that with a stream between two parts of a fairway. There was one hole at The Hideaway that was all bunker left of a stream that kind of shrunk the fairway. I hugged that side next to the stream hard though. For me, I would aim right at the stream and hope that this is the one time I don't hit it straight.

Years ago I learned to block out hazards. I pick my line, commit and hit.
Yup! Just see where you want the ball to go and hit it there. Just like the kid says to Neo ... there is no stream. Looks like a fun hole to play, that's for sure!

Only played a hole like that once. In alpena michigan and it was more of a river than a stream. I chose to aim left and try to stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holes like that are why I carry a golf GPS. Helps me play the hole smart without surprises.

Back