Product Spotlight – Custom Prescription Golf Sunglasses from Golf Rx

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to see RX glasses done right. As someone that wears both sunglasses and RX glasses, this service will be looked into.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was price - apologies if I missed it, but I am assuming there is no standard price as every pair is going to be different based on the needs of the individual? Do they have a rough, base price to start at?

I did see that the lenses appear to work well in both light and overcast/shaded areas, but, and this may be due to never having tried the lenses mentioned, I am still sceptical of the effectiveness in changing conditions. I would be curious to know how shaded they can cope with and still provide a clear enough vision

Personally I will tend to wear my contact lenses and then throw some sunglasses in my bag for when it is too bright as I then have the options without being restricted to the prescription ones, but I guess not everyone can tolerate / afford contact lenses

A very interesting concept and I am slightly surprised nobody has come up with this in the past as I would have thought with various lens options they could cater for more than just the golf world

This is a product I would love to have. I have almost no depth perception without my glasses. Clip on shades do ok but look awful

My eye prescription is not that strong so I've gone the way of contacts & even thought about lasic. With contacts being an adventure each morning and expensive, this seems like a great alternative. Currently use transition lenses, but with sport/outdoor activities they are annoying to use with sweat and staying on properly.

I have a pair of Oakley frames that would make my life easier if I can be fit with custom lenses.

I will definately be looking into these. Thanks for the spotlight THP.

This is something I must look into. I have famiky history of dry macular degeneration, I've spent big money on RX Sunglasses from Oakley and they are horrible. The Bifocal in the lenses makes me dizzy when I spend a lot of time putting. Im afraid to wear contacts cause I seriously creeps me out to touch my eye ball. Thanks for the spotlight THP!

I'm lucky in that I don't need corrective vision (since I had LASIK years ago) but this is definitely a fantastic option for those that could benefit from it....if it's affordable.

This is good timing because my next pair of glasses will be RX Sunglasses. I hate golfing or doing anything athletic activity in my glasses, so the custom lenses with peripheral coverage is something I will be looking into.

In in need of getting new prescription sunglasses. My previous pair is 6 years old and needs to be replaced. I used a different company last time but it never hurts to shop around. I'll certainly take a look at this one.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was price - apologies if I missed it, but I am assuming there is no standard price as every pair is going to be different based on the needs of the individual? Do they have a rough, base price to start at?

I did see that the lenses appear to work well in both light and overcast/shaded areas, but, and this may be due to never having tried the lenses mentioned, I am still sceptical of the effectiveness in changing conditions. I would be curious to know how shaded they can cope with and still provide a clear enough vision

Personally I will tend to wear my contact lenses and then throw some sunglasses in my bag for when it is too bright as I then have the options without being restricted to the prescription ones, but I guess not everyone can tolerate / afford contact lenses

A very interesting concept and I am slightly surprised nobody has come up with this in the past as I would have thought with various lens options they could cater for more than just the golf world

I think it depends on what you are looking for out of sunglasses. These aren't like transitions that change tint based on available light, but instead are just a less dark tint. Personally, I switched to a lens like this (that wasn't prescription since I also wear contacts) about two years ago and haven't looked back. I've worn them on the brightest days in Florida as well as overcast days at home.

I'm lucky in that I don't need corrective vision (since I had LASIK years ago) but this is definitely a fantastic option for those that could benefit from it....if it's affordable.

Price will vary based on frames and lenses since there are a variety of tints and mirror finishes available - among other things. My guess is that they will be expensive, just like any prescritption glasses are. Then add in that these are custom ground in a relatively complex process. It's a multiyear product though and if you're not able to wear high-end sports eyewear it could definitely be worth it.

Looks like a great offering. However even though I need corrective lenses I never wear my glasses on the course and don't even consider RX sunglasses an option. I wear my contacts and my oakleys and it works for me. I hate wearing my glasses I don't think I see as well as I do with contacts.

Can't they fit lenses to existing frames? That would be most excellent

Very interested but I suspect the pricing is really high. Paid over $350 for prescription Oakley's.

Oakley offers a cut rate for prescription shades & glasses for military that pretty much can't be beat, but for people without that opportunity, being able to get them from a site like this may be a good deal. Optometry centers are incredibly expensive when it comes to sunglasses.

I read through the article, but didn't quite find the answer to one question, though...are the blanks ordered from the company that makes the sunglasses themselves? One of the biggest advantages about Oakley shades is their ballistic protection. I feel as confident taking them to the shooting range as the golf course, which is a huge plus for the company.

Sorry Paladin, I don't know the answer to that. I will say that the company makes shooting glasses as well though.

An interesting concept, the pricing seems quite reasonable!

If I would not have had Lasik I would be all over this. This will be a good thing for a lot of people

One thing that should be noted, is that the larger the lenses in the glasses, if you are nearsighted, they are going to have more curve to them. I did not get this kind, but I got a pair of this style of sunglasses and since my eyes are different prescriptions, one side curved more than the other.

One side fit ok, but the other fit much closer to my face and was very uncomfortable. Luckily the store I got them from let me return them and get a more normal pair of glasses. I am 20/30 in one eye and 20/50 in the other. The 20/50 is the one that fit bad.

Wish this was around years ago since I have worn glasses since 12. I am getting LASIK at the beginning of the year or I would be all over this.

I think it depends on what you are looking for out of sunglasses. These aren't like transitions that change tint based on available light, but instead are just a less dark tint. Personally, I switched to a lens like this (that wasn't prescription since I also wear contacts) about two years ago and haven't looked back. I've worn them on the brightest days in Florida as well as overcast days at home

I might not have been clear enough, but I didn't think they were transitions, I was more curious about what extremes of light the tint can still work effectively in - I have worn cheap sunglasses before that were great in direct sunlight, but as soon as you walked into some shade you had to take them off as you could barely see anything, yet I have had others that coped with bright sunlight and quite dark shaded areas

I might not have been clear enough, but I didn't think they were transitions, I was more curious about what extremes of light the tint can still work effectively in - I have worn cheap sunglasses before that were great in direct sunlight, but as soon as you walked into some shade you had to take them off as you could barely see anything, yet I have had others that coped with bright sunlight and quite dark shaded areas

I tried to cover both bases because I wasn't sure if you were or not. Ha!

I think it'll depend on the person, but I love lenses like this for golf and find myself wearing them when I'm just out in the sun as well. If you like a darker tint though, they do offer a similar one to this that shades things a little more.

Interesting, I am now one of those that needs glasses due to age, I'd need something with progressive lenses

Back