Wonton

Sphincter says what?
Reaction score
Handicap
# Ish
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20141121_los_angeles_phone_scam_targets_people_nationwide.html?1i

I received a phone call from the "IRS" on Saturday saying that I owe them $3998 for Tax Evasion. My only options were to pay that amount NOW or they will call the authorities and issue a warrant for my arrest. They were so hostile and threatening the entire time and it got to a point where I was screaming back at them. Thankfully, they hung up on me and I found out that it was a scam.
Here's what made me believe/not believe that they were the actual IRS:
-Called from the 202 area code (DC)
-When I called back, they have a very short "Non-IRS" like answering machine.
-They all had thick Indian accents but have American names (Eva Adams, Joe Anderson and Cynthia Green)
-They had fake IRS badge numbers when I asked for it. They were also offended that I asked.
-They were constantly threatening that I will go to jail.
-They asked me to get the $4000 in cash and go to a specific bank to purchase a Green Dot Certified Card.

I know that there are a lot of scammers out there but I didn't think that people would pose as the IRS. Thankfully I put all the pieces together in my head before I actually paid them. I'm gullible but not stupid.
So be aware, friends!

Here's the actual Warnings from the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Reiterates-Warning-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam

The sad thing is there are a lot of people who fall for this type of scam.

The sad thing is there are a lot of people who fall for this type of scam.

and I don't think they can get their money back either since these specific scammers are overseas. Ughh...

I get the call a couple times a week from the people that are going to lower your credit card debt, its amazing how many scams are going around

I get the call a couple times a week from the people that are going to lower your credit card debt, its amazing how many scams are going around

I'd rather go work as a Janitor in prison than be a Phone Scammer. Phone scammers have no souls.

A girl I used to work with got a phone call just like this last week AT WORK. Where did I used to work? The NY Tax Department.

I scammed you for $55, does that count :p

A girl I used to work with got a phone call just like this last week AT WORK. Where did I used to work? The NY Tax Department.

Oh man, these scammers have no clue huh?

Unfortunately there will be people who will fall for this. Very sad.

And this is why I don't pick up my phone anymore unless I know the number.

I could see this scam being very convincing if done right and done to the right/wrong person. Sad.

And this is why I don't pick up my phone anymore unless I know the number.

I could see this scam being very convincing if done right and done to the right/wrong person. Sad.

So thats why you dont take my calls.
Man, I thought we were friends.
I just assumed your entourage blocked me.

I kid of course, I agree this is scary stuff. I had someone call me claiming to be a collection agency and I owed $16,000, and they would settle for 10% if paid in full. I asked for details and they seemed to know a few things. I had recently just checked my credit report and nothing was on there. I asked for something in writing and it never came. Nothing ever appeared on my credit report and I have always paid my bills on time. It scared the behaysoos out of me, but glad I did the right thing.

Sadly the elderly or those in a rough financial position will fall for this. Local news affiliate ran a story & they showed where it's a numbers game. Out of the 3-4 that say no and call their bluff, they get 6-7 to pay.

Unreal.

So thats why you dont take my calls.
Man, I thought we were friends.
I just assumed your entourage blocked me.

I kid of course, I agree this is scary stuff. I had someone call me claiming to be a collection agency and I owed $16,000, and they would settle for 10% if paid in full. I asked for details and they seemed to know a few things. I had recently just checked my credit report and nothing was on there. I asked for something in writing and it never came. Nothing ever appeared on my credit report and I have always paid my bills on time. It scared the behaysoos out of me, but glad I did the right thing.

Haha sorry Josh!
It's crazy how they get away with this.

Haha sorry Josh!
It's crazy how they get away with this.

Thankfully they never got a dime from me, but I can only imagine how many they did.

I'm getting calls again. I JUST spoke to Sarah Jansen with a thick Indian accent. Virginia area code this time.
They never quit huh? Good lord...

I'm getting calls again. I JUST spoke to Sarah Jansen with a thick Indian accent. Virginia area code this time.

If they call back, just say "Please do contact the authorities so we can straighten this out".

If they call back, just say "Please do contact the authorities so we can straighten this out".

Yeah I messed with them this time. I told them that I would like to resolve this and I'd like to make a payment to the local IRS office here.
They told me not to do that and if I do they will sue me? hahaha these freakin people...

Sadly the elderly or those in a rough financial position will fall for this. Local news affiliate ran a story & they showed where it's a numbers game. Out of the 3-4 that say no and call their bluff, they get 6-7 to pay.

Unreal.

This is the sad truth. I worry about my folks and try to warn them about this stuff but the elderly tend to be such easy targets.

Man I hate those things. I've had a few of them. I've toyed with the guys via email a few times but most of the time i just hang up on them when they call. My buddy that sits next to me will lead them on and on to the point they ask for his bank account number then he says "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" and keeps reassuring them that is the bank account number. He's had some funny calls to listen in on. Sad though that some will fall for this stuff. :/

It's sad that authorities have no jurisdiction here because these people are overseas.

I work in retail so see all these types of scams. Often times the scammers pray on the elderly. I have personally had to talk countless elderly folks out of buying prepaid cards to send to scammers. In addition the the IRS, they also tell people they are with PCH and they have to send a prepaid card to claim their half million dollar payout, tell people they are with the electric company and their power will be disconnected if they don't send a prepaid card, threaten to activate bombs if the person doesn't immediately get a prepaid card and give them the numbers, etc. It is absolute nuts!

Last edited:
Definitely a scary thing. To many people get scared and fear the govt and respond and provide info without thinking. a friends grandmother got a call about a month ago looking for ransom money to free her grandson. Instead of calling her son to see what was going on she went to the bank to get a loan, fortunately the bank person was smart enough to say that it was a scam and gave her something's to do including calling her son to get update.

did you report this to irs or police?

Definitely a scary thing. To many people get scared and fear the govt and respond and provide info without thinking. a friends grandmother got a call about a month ago looking for ransom money to free her grandson. Instead of calling her son to see what was going on she went to the bank to get a loan, fortunately the bank person was smart enough to say that it was a scam and gave her something's to do including calling her son to get update.

did you report this to irs or police?

I called the police and they told me that last Friday and Saturday, over 150 people in Southern California reported the same.
The police told me that they can't do whole a lot about it since it's hard to track where these scams are calling from and if it's overseas, it's nearly impossible to track.
They just told me to spread the word and warn people about it.

Block the number

Back