Snow golf. Anyone ?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Winter has taken grasp of many areas of our nation / world . Anyone have any videos or stories of hitting or playing a round with snow on the ground ? Where I live , winter golf is pretty much a part of the game . I can remember balls bouncing off the Ice ponds and hitting on the green to watch in dismay as the ball would bounce Wildy over ( up to 50 yards over ) .

Post a few videos /and or / give some techniques you use that are only unique to winter golf

Snow and cold here , but season never ends for some of us

I'd love to play winter golf but the courses are all closed up here.

I'd love to play winter golf but the courses are all closed up here.
Ours too , but there is a few that stay open and let people play weather permitting . Frozen greens / fairways / ponds etc .. Nothing new . But a completely different game than normal golf . A different strategy , and actually real fun when you realize the frozen turf will send the ball in goofy directions . The coldest I played was 10 with no wind and snow somewhat clear.

Ours too , but there is a few that stay open and let people play weather permitting . Frozen greens / fairways / ponds etc .. Nothing new . But a completely different game than normal golf . A different strategy , and actually real fun when you realize the frozen turf will send the ball in goofy directions . The coldest I played was 10 with no wind and snow somewhat clear.

I've played round in the tens in september this year, but once the snow comes, it doesnt go... I'd like to see a foursome look for balls in 2 feet of snow

The hardest part of winter golf on frozen ground is keeping tee shots in play and any sort of wedge play. It is fun and I've developed a few little tricks for dealing with it.
Medium par 4s are almost drivable with a good shot when its true permafrost out there.

had some time today to shag a few in the snow . Once you hit it , hard to find the white ones . Why I use orange or yellow in the winter

We do it every year. Our course holds "Snowball Scrambles" every weekend as long as you can find the cup on the green. I was out last weekend for what may well be the last one (got better than a foot of snow yesterday), and there were 30 diehards out there. Just above freezing, wind wasn't awful. Fairways snow covered with barish patches. Greens were plowed in an X, so you hit your approach and just moved it out to the nearest bare spot to putt.

It's all bump and run, since the greens are rock solid. The regulars can be identified by their bags...Driver, 3w, Broom. A ton of fun, but not the place to hone your game.

I posted some pics a couple years ago in a thread I can't find. That was a particularly snowy day for it.

Ah, I knew I could find those. These are an extreme example, but we played.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...1202-00181.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...1202-00180.jpg

Not now, not ever.

You Yankees are nuts

Not now, not ever.

You Yankees are nuts
I agree.. if I ever took golf more serious than a hobby . Instead of hitting in the snow , I would be down south or out west in the warm . But for some of us , we are stuck with what we have .

I agree.. if I ever took golf more serious than a hobby . Instead of hitting in the snow , I would be down south or out west in the warm . But for some of us , we are stuck with what we have .
Haha, obviously you take it more seriously than me, because I would take up something like chess in the winter months. I don't have it in me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417200495.650705.jpg

This was less than two weeks ago had a blast!

Tricks

Hit the front of the green

If the ponds are frozen enough playing across them can shave huge distance off the hole

Don't expect greens to roll true

If you actually make a pitch mark it can't be fixed

Heck with that. I might play if the temps are up but there are a few snow patches around, but I would never play if there is a lot of snow areas. If I need more than a jacket, I am not golfing anyway.

Haha smalls it was only the last couple holes that it got that way and that was 18.

Temps were just fine and wind was calm

Haha smalls it was only the last couple holes that it got that way and that was 18.

Temps were just fine and wind was calm

LOL, I hadn't even seen your post yet when I answered! I was just answering the first post!

That said, I wouldn't do that either!

I've played more than one round with snow on parts of the course, but never totally covering the course. I've had some times where I've seen guys hit ponds and the ball would pop out/off and get some great extra distance. The best part is the SOUND the ball makes when it hits the ice cover pond.

great posts : it almost feels like playing golf in the cold and snow is initiation into manhood . :bicker:It sure would be fun to get the roll like you get bouncing on the ice .

Snow and golf for me have never gone together. Snow and ice fishing is another story.........

Yeah, but I'm not saying (so as not to encourage anyone to try such foolishness)....

... Anyone have any... stories of hitting or playing a round with snow on the ground?

I play all winter, as long as snow is at least thin or patchy. Sometimes it's easier putting with a 7 iron if you want to bump and run with a little force instead of trying to power a ball rolling through powder. Frozen greens and fairways mean low punch shots short of the green and hope they don't take a bad kick but do roll up. Better than sitting inside. I play a small course that charges $110 bucks for Oct.1st through May 1st so you also can get some great fall and early spring golf as well

I played 9 holes today in not snow, but totally frosted and frozen ground. It was fun, but the bounces was very unpredictable. But definately better than not playing...

Takes a real men of men a die hard to post on this thread . Love the posts , thanks to all the manly men out there

We have a couple of 9-hole courses here in Finland during the winter...but I've never tried. I prefer lessons indoor :

09022001302392.jpg

I remember playing a round last year and a pond guarding a par 3 was frozen. My tee shot was short, hit the pond and bounced up on to the green about 10' away from the hole. I made the birdie putt. That's probably my best winter golf story.

Much to my surprise, I got called Friday night by another of the diehards...2 days of freak rain apparently brought the snow down enough to have a scramble this weekend, and would I play?

I did. I would be shocked if this isn't it for the year. -6 or so C, so...mid 20's F? Slight breeze, not blowing thankfully.
It was a hoot. EVERYTHING's frozen. Couldn't get a tee in the ground with a nail, so either pack up some snow for a short tee or use a rubber driving mat tee (which we had).
Hit and hope, and a lucky bounce could go a lonnng way. All bump and run, and on a couple greens we had to bounce it off a frozen water hazard to get the ball to stop on the green at all.
Slippery as heck, and those with permanent spikes wore them. I did a bit of gliding in spots with softspikes. Looked like a Stegosaurus on roller skates, I suspect.

6 teams of 3.
Started to snow about 10 holes in. We were -6 after 10, probably half good shots and half dumb luck. We finished at....-6 for a one shot win and happy to have it. Tough to putt when the ball picks up snow while rolling.

winter golf ... unless there's snowbanks, usually can find someplace to play. Just need a few things - flannel lined pants, knit hat, winter golf gloves & coleman cart heater ... voila, winter golf is tolerable.

Hey, it's golf - cold golf is sooooooo much better than watching golf on tv.

Played last Thursday ... 33°, had a blast.

Back