Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

I think this is an awesome change, and like others have said, it will ensure that everybody gets their gear and creates even more anticipation for the event. As for anybody who doesn't like the idea of playing with brand new clubs that they're not quite used to, nothing a little lead tape and a range session can't fix lol.

Dialing will have to take place at the event and will be very easy if people keep an open mind. It doesnt take that long to get dialed in.

I think you're right buddy. With the proper shaft and head fitting completed, it may actually improve some peoples games.

Dialing will have to take place at the event and will be very easy if people keep an open mind. It doesnt take that long to get dialed in.
..QFT!!! Your swing is your swing, I cant imagine swings changing to fit your clubs.

I think you're right buddy. With the proper shaft and head fitting completed, it may actually improve some peoples games.

Hopefully full fitting options will be available for all of the players in next year's event, that would be a nice touch.

When I read JB's OP I had some mixed emotions about the idea. After reading through this entire thread I now feel like this is going to trump Media Day big time.

Im not sure I understand how this is the fairest thing to do or how it levels the playing field.

Because in years past, some staff members had more time with their clubs than others.
Some companies provided clubs the day of because they were not available and others had them for months.
So some are viewing this as completely fair process.

It was just one of the 8 or so reasons this change was made.

love it! I hope i can be there!

It's been said already in this thread, but it would be awesome to have a tour van like set up for fitting right there at the Ultimate Weekend. True tour experience.

We know text messages are flying, chats are at a high and people are "concerned". Why? I have no idea.

Some may be complaining but I think it is also (mostly?) people going through the normal 5 step process of adopting change...probably accentuated a bit because of the audience and topic (golf geeks / equipment).

Personally I think this change will be a huge positive for THP. Only a small percentage of those trying to enter this event will be selected anyway. For those of us watching from home I think this drives up impact for THP and the sponsors. The excitement of watching unboxing threads at sponsor day will be awesome and much more intriguing. Huge social media impact as well with everyone getting all their new gear at once, lots of Facebook posts and Tweets will be sent driving additional exposure for THP and the sponsors.

There were times last year were as a non-participant the equipment threads were hard to follow along. Having all the hands on posts come at the same time should make it easier to follow - less banter and fluff and more real thoughts.

The post MC equipment threads will also be fun to read as participants play more and more with the equipment.

Everyone will be in the same boat so I think impact on scoring will be equal across all teams.

Just some quick thoughts....

Everyone is getting the same treatment so it levels the playing field. It will be tough for the higher capper to adjust but there should be enough time to go wear out the demo clubs at the local golf store and have an idea of what you're facing. It's going to be interesting for sure to see the roll out too, with the reps there and the excitement from the player seeing his bag for the first time it's gonna be a helluva buzz.

I just hope it doesn't take everyone as long to load a staff bag as it does me haha

I'm in favor of the change.

I think it has the following positives:

1) Everyone has a level playing field.

2) It reduces the costs for the sponsors by not having to make shipments

3) It (somewhat) simplifies life for JB and GG, and the sponsors as well.

4) It allows every sponsor to provide the latest equipment.

5) It creates an incredible environment for staff sponsor day.

And only the following disadvantages:

1) Less time to get acclimated to the equipment

2) Possible extra shipping costs for participants, though that could be mitigated some extra planning

Overall, I think it's a positive change.

Bring your skills boys and girls, everything else you need, including fun, camaraderie and new lifetime memories and friends will be provided.

Heck, I'd be fine if I had to dig thru every green side bunker to find my clubs, if it meant an invite to the MC

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

Heck, I'd be fine if I had to dig thru every green side bunker to find my clubs, if it meant an invite to the MC

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

you would be very busy at those 2 courses. That would be fun to watch. I wouldn't hide one in the left hand bunker on #11 at True Blue. Wouldn't want another snake incident haha

I understand that people think this levels the playing field but it doesn't. Those that don't need a learning curve will jump right in with solid golf. Those that can't adapt will more further the other direction and then there's those who game will remain the same.
Making it easier for people to follow along I the threads, one big special day for all the golfers. Some great raw footage of raw emotion. Figuring out your gear, comparing with existing gear. These are some of the pros. But leveling the field, I just don't see it. And quite frankly is a non issue for me. Not something I would have ever though of as a pro or con. But I seem to be the minority in more ways than one :D

you would be very busy at those 2 courses. That would be fun to watch. I wouldn't hide one in the left hand bunker on #11 at True Blue. Wouldn't want another snake incident haha

Maybe put a few next to the pond on #3 at True Blue. Mike Dean knows what I'm talking about all too well.

I understand that people think this levels the playing field but it doesn't. Those that don't need a learning curve will jump right in with solid golf. Those that can't adapt will more further the other direction and then there's those who game will remain the same.
Making it easier for people to follow along I the threads, one big special day for all the golfers. Some great raw footage of raw emotion. Figuring out your gear, comparing with existing gear. These are some of the pros. But leveling the field, I just don't see it. And quite frankly is a non issue for me. Not something I would have ever though of as a pro or con. But I seem to be the minority in more ways than one :D

I think it is mostly about everyone getting their clubs at the exact same time that levels it out. If I had months to go through my adjustment period I would expect to beat someone of similar skill level who only had a day or so.

You know what the BEST part about all this is either way you sit?

The Morgan Cup 2014 is coming.

Hell yes.

Hell yes.

Agreed. And it's going to be bigger and better than ever. Which seeing this years coverage has me very excited.

Hell yes.

Definitely dude! A lot of this talk is pretty trivial and come Staff Sponsor Day no one is going to care.

Hell yes.

And it's going to be better than ever

FK my reference was more along the basis is everyone will get their gear at the same time. So it's even. I agree that if the Indian is stout with the mechanics of the swing it shouldn't really be a huge issue.

Going back to a couple points made here. If the equipment is someone's focus, then I would recommend reviewing the MC2013 threads from that weekend.

Freddie you are confusing leveling the playing field in terms of performance and skill level and leveling the playing field in terms of everybody getting gear at the same time.

Two separate things.

I think it is mostly about everyone getting their clubs at the exact same time that levels it out. If I had months to go through my adjustment period I would expect to beat someone of similar skill level who only had a day or so.

Trust me I understand all of this, I'm
Crystal clear on everyone's line of thinking. I just don't see it that way. You game will be what it is no matter how long you have the clubs. The Morgan Cuppers get their gear on Friday at the same time. For me that's where it ends. Your clubs will only do what your swing dictates, brand new or old.

Since most have never had a proper fitting and play off the rack, the learning curve should be short.

This will bring the MC to another level. I have yet to be a part of a THP event that didn't have change and it always seem to get better. I expect the 2014 MC to be no different.

Back