Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

Going back to a couple points made here. If the equipment is someone's focus, then I would recommend reviewing the MC2013 threads from that weekend.
But it seems to me this is making a whole day about the equipment. If it wasn't "about the equipment" like everyone is saying then people should be playing their own clubs or getting their clubs whenever before the event so everyday there is about the MC, the teams, the friendships, etc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this change but it feels like "the equipment" is become more a part of it now then before.

Freddie you are confusing leveling the playing field in terms of performance and skill level and leveling the playing field in terms of everybody getting gear at the same time.

Two separate things.

Oh, didn't know that was an issue. My bad....I thought the two went hand in hand.

But it seems to me this is making a whole day about the equipment. If it wasn't "about the equipment" like everyone is saying then people should be playing their own clubs or getting their clubs whenever before the event so everyday there is about the MC, the teams, the friendships, etc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this change but it feels like "the equipment" is become more a part of it now then before.

Whoever said it was not about the equipment? It is one key aspect to the entire event.
Participants have voiced that after being in one, the equipment is an afterthought because of the great times and journey they had.
But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that half of the entries that will come in for the Morgan Cup would be there if a 14 club staff deal was not in place. Its about the whole package and equipment plays a role in that.
The Morgan Cup journey is about more than 3 days in Myrtle Beach. Half of one of those days will be about competitors receiving their equipment.

Personally, I think everyone on both sides of "the fence" so to speak to take a deep breath and relax. It's change. It's different. It's normal for people to have a knee jerk reaction. I didn't see a single person say anything about it being about the equipment. Almost everything I read was that people liked the time to use the clubs and get accustomed to them before the MC. This year it won't be that way. I don't think that means that those people that liked that should find another event or don't sign up. I think that's a bit harsh and not what THP is about. It's an adjustment period and there is plenty of more info to come and plenty of time before the event.

Another reason this is an awesome change. Unless you were checking the dozens of different equipment threads, nobody really new when the teams were getting their equipment.

Like JB, equipment IS a big part of this event, and having the equipment unveiled all at once during media day is the perfect idea. It gives the equipment the spotlight it deserves.

Whoever said it was not about the equipment? It is one key aspect to the entire event.
Participants have voiced that after being in one, the equipment is an afterthought because of the great times and journey they had.
But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that half of the entries that will come in for the Morgan Cup would be there if a 14 club staff deal was not in place. Its about the whole package and equipment plays a role in that.
The Morgan Cup journey is about more than 3 days in Myrtle Beach. Half of one of those days will be about competitors receiving their equipment.

You almost have to attend an event to really get this. I know I didn't before Vegas. The Bridgestone swag was incredible. I love it all and am incredibly appreciative of it. But a week removed from the event I think about teeing it up with some of the guys I met a bunch more than I think about the gear. Considering how the MC is really a year long journey I've gotta believe that same experience is replicated, but about 1K times more so.

Heck I'd sign up for a Morgan cup that gave everyone ancient clubs from the 50s just as loaners

a lot of the MC is about giving regular golfers that tour experience.
in years' past, some parts of "Media Day" have showcased that feeling, and some have not.

so THP breaks a few omelets and now this year, a change is incorporated to bring that to a front.
pair up Staff Sponsor Day with unboxing your gear on the same day. to me, that is just like the tour experience. TaylorMade is always a company that comes to mind, where they go above and beyond in showcasing their new equipment and introducing the gear to their tour staff.

this makes Friday a new animal and a bit more relevant, IMHO.
among other things of course.

a lot of the MC is about giving regular golfers that tour experience.
in years' past, some parts of "Media Day" have showcased that feeling, and some have not.

so THP breaks a few omelets and now this year, a change is incorporated to bring that to a front.
pair up Staff Sponsor Day with unboxing your gear on the same day. to me, that is just like the tour experience. TaylorMade is always a company that comes to mind, where they go above and beyond in showcasing their new equipment and introducing the gear to their tour staff.

this makes Friday a new animal and a bit more relevant, IMHO.
among other things of course.

I agree 100% here.

When the two threads were posted this morning, if you had told me that this one would have generated more than double the posts of the first King contest by mid-afternoon, I would have called you a liar.

I agree with you. Some post made it sound like the equipment should be a complete afterthought, even from the beginning, which for someone who hasn't experienced the MC would be hard pressed to accomplish.

Personally, I think everyone on both sides of "the fence" so to speak to take a deep breath and relax. It's change. It's different. It's normal for people to have a knee jerk reaction. I didn't see a single person say anything about it being about the equipment. Almost everything I read was that people liked the time to use the clubs and get accustomed to them before the MC. This year it won't be that way. I don't think that means that those people that liked that should find another event or don't sign up. I think that's a bit harsh and not what THP is about. It's an adjustment period and there is plenty of more info to come and plenty of time before the event.
I don't think anyone is upset and I see nothing wrong with picking an event that best suits your personal needs. I think the conversation has been healthy and expected.

Another reason this is an awesome change. Unless you were checking the dozens of different equipment threads, nobody really new when the teams were getting their equipment.

Like JB, equipment IS a big part of this event, and having the equipment unveiled all at once during media day is the perfect idea. It gives the equipment the spotlight it deserves.
that was the point of the threads to garner more participation from forum. This event doesn't happen with out readers and feedback. I'm sure there will be different threads to peak interest leading into the MC. I hope those threads and past MC post bring the masses to support the event.

I look forward to learning who the other captains and equipment manufacturers will be.

I don't think anyone is upset and I see nothing wrong with picking an event that best suits your personal needs. I think the conversation has been healthy and expected.

I have no problem with open dialogue. I think its great. But when an opinion is made that they like having clubs earlier so they can get dialed in, it doesnt mean the person is all about the equipment or if they dont like it they can choose a different event. It's just their opinion. Doesn't mean they dont want to be in the MC. That's all I am saying.

When the two threads were posted this morning, if you had told me that this one would have generated more than double the posts of the first King contest by mid-afternoon, I would have called you a liar.

You and me both buddy.

I have no problem with open dialogue. I think its great. But when an opinion is made that they like having clubs earlier so they can get dialed in, it doesnt mean the person is all about the equipment or if they dont like it they can choose a different event. It's just their opinion. Doesn't mean they dont want to be in the MC. That's all I am saying.

I dont disagree Dev. But its not where it stops and we both know that. I am all for open dialogue. If I wasnt, this thread would not have been posted. Instead when the details went up, they would have just appeared that way.

I dont disagree Dev. But its not where it stops and we both know that. I am all for open dialogue. If I wasnt, this thread would not have been posted. Instead when the details went up, they would have just appeared that way.

Of course. I know that as well. Just saw alot of posts (not by you) about how it should not be all about the equipment, when no one said it was.

I would add that those of us less skilled golfers can play worse by showing up and playing with new clubs that we have never hit. Call it skill or mental ability or what, but I don't think our opinions can be brushed off. For some of us the thought of getting all new clubs today and playing in a competition the next two days is very frightening.

That said...it's not going to keep me from giving all I got to get in and even more if I am fortunate enough to participate.

My gut reaction was initially a bit negative, but I didn't know about the disparity between when participants got their gear and now I think this is a more fair way to do it.

That being said, I'm also envisioning the excitement I would have on that Friday and it would top 10 Christmases. The chance of getting that on film is worth the change.

All that being said, I'm still going to sign up!

Let me phrase something like this.
Remember the Callaway staffers last year showing up with their drivers all dialed in and ready to go.
Remember what was launched 5 days prior to the Morgan Cup...A new driver
All the Callaway guys on the range dying to hit the new OptiForce that HashtagChad had in his bag.
I bet Callaway would have loved to have you guys in that driver too.

EDIT: I want to add that Callaway never said a word about this.

Remember the Callaway staffers last year showing up with their drivers all dialed in and ready to go.
All the Callaway guys on the range dying to hit the new OptiForce that HashtagChad had in his bag.

Loud and clear. The ability to have the newest of new clubs helps trump my individual fear of competing with brand new gear. That combined with what the event itself means/defines is what makes it a non issue to me (while still fully understanding someone else's concern).

Of course. I know that as well. Just saw alot of posts (not by you) about how it should not be all about the equipment, when no one said it was.

I don't ever like defending my comments but I will. And all due respect with what I'm going to say. I posted early on that it's not about tthr equipment. Having been a part of this event and felt what I did, it's a small part to me. It's also going to different for everyone. But to perseverate on not getting gear until you arrive isn't any where close to the spirt of the event. And let me be clear, I have no idea to everyone's mind set I regards to the change. Only what I read and past experiences.
Me sharing is no different than me sharing on the deck after we won. I meant what I said then and I meant what I said earlier. Everyone has on opinion one way or another and just as you said. If they feel someone is needy, so be it.

This is a great example. I think a lot of the opinions being thrown around, mine included, are being done so without knowing why this decision was made.

I am not arguing with anything said here. I said earlier, the changes are made for a reason and that is to benefit THP, the participants, and the sponsor. My only "gripe" so to speak was that people were getting piled on somewhat for voicing their opinion that they liked the idea of having clubs earlier so they could get dialed in. It had nothing to do with people making it all about getting new equipment.

I don't ever like defending my comments but I will. And all due respect with what I'm going to say. I posted early on that it's not about tthr equipment. Having been a part of this event and felt what I did, it's a small part to me. It's also going to different for everyone. But to perseverate on not getting gear until you arrive isn't any where close to the spirt of the event. And let me be clear, I have no idea to everyone's mind set I regards to the change. Only what I read and past experiences.
Me sharing is no different than me sharing on the deck after we won. I meant what I said then and I meant what I said earlier. Everyone has on opinion one way or another and just as you said. If they feel someone is needy, so be it.

Like I said earlier Freddie, it's day 1 of how many before the event. Change is something everyone reacts to differently. Realistically there is always going to be knee-jerk reactions to change. Doesn't make someone a bad person for feeling that way. There are tons and tons of more announcements, changes, and time before the event. I am sure it will be a non-issue.

Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

Woah. Deep breath.

I know one thing:

I want back into this amazing event, I have some demons to exorcise from this year. :)

Personally I believe going into battle with brand new sticks will be awesome. I enjoy the element of surprise. Get yardages dialed in within an hour and then translate it to the course. No problemo!

Back