Things That Irritate You On the Course?

Good recent posts about smoking issues. Being a smoker myself, I try to respect the space of others playing in same group. I remember being disrespectful to the course with flinging my cig butts. I've since rectified that behaviour with having an empty beverage bottle in my bag to dispose of my cig butts. If I don't have a cig butt bottle, I'll wait til getting to next tee box trash bin. With all this said: I'll be giving it another try to kick the habit this coming new year.

I don't think he said anything about the PGA

I have no problems with smokers who clean up after themselves. My good friend Castor Hades carries a portable ashtray because he hates butts on the course.

There is usually a courteous way to do something. This is no exception.

Fortunately, THP'ers are on the good side of the scale. Unfortunately, ninety-nine percent of smokers I encounter on the course drop their butts wherever they please and think there's nothing wrong with doing so.

Last edited:
I'm negligent about asking and need to work on that. Being from an older generation, I just got used to people smoking everywhere, especially after being in the Army for ten years and going to a lot of bars where it was always allowed. So now it's hard to get used to the changes in society where smoking is no longer the norm. If I'm ever with anyone on here that doesn't like it, don't be afraid to speak up if I'm clouding you. I'm not doing it to be a jerk, I just sometimes forget that it isn't as accepted as it once was.

Hey Kobey what do you think about these guys that seem to get offended so easily? I'm shocked how a grown man could have his feelings hurt that another man dare smoke outside on the golf course near him. When did everyone get so easily offended. If you don't like it that's fine. I probably don't like your douchebag after shave. I'm not offended I just choose to stay down wind. No biggie.

swing your swing

That's an interesting take Due, but when you consider a dip or alcohol vs smoke, the first two don't impact the person in the cart, whereas the smoke from cigarettes can definitely get in the face of your cart mate.

That in mind, everyone I've carted with (at least this year) who smokes asks me if I mind. I think it's admirable, and I always say "of course not, have at it." It's common courtesy and I am glad people still have the decency to at least ask.

I think it's great for someone to ask when in the cart with you. The smoke is brutal for me and my breathing. I do whatever I can not to ride with someone that smokes. But I will tell them that if they want, when they light up, I'll just walk until they are through. Gives me a little exercise and them the freedom to do what they've gotta do.

Hey Kobey what do you think about these guys that seem to get offended so easily? I'm shocked how a grown man could have his feelings hurt that another man dare smoke outside on the golf course near him. When did everyone get so easily offended. If you don't like it that's fine. I probably don't like your douchebag after shave. I'm not offended I just choose to stay down wind. No biggie.

swing your swing

Well, I try to keep up with the times. While I don't think a little smoke is going to hurt anyone outside with all the vehicle and factory emissions we have in our air, I try to respect other peoples' wishes and keep the smoke away from them if I know it bothers them. I can see their point that they don't want to breathe in unnecessary chemicals. So if someone doesn't want me to smoke in the cart, that's fine. Usually the only reason I get near other people with it is because I don't want to slow down play by standing off to the side finishing my cigarette when it's time to get moving.

It's definitely not worth getting in a confrontation over. If the fight lasted over a minute I'd get winded and lose anyway. Years ago I tried to organize a march on Washington for smokers' rights. By the second block there was no one left.

Well, I try to keep up with the times. While I don't think a little smoke is going to hurt anyone outside with all the vehicle and factory emissions we have in our air, I try to respect other peoples' wishes and keep the smoke away from them if I know it bothers them. I can see their point that they don't want to breathe in unnecessary chemicals. So if someone doesn't want me to smoke in the cart, that's fine. Usually the only reason I get near other people with it is because I don't want to slow down play by standing off to the side finishing my cigarette when it's time to get moving.

It's definitely not worth getting in a confrontation over. If the fight lasted over a minute I'd get winded and lose anyway. Years ago I tried to organize a march on Washington for smokers' rights. By the second block there was no one left.

I've always enjoyed your strange sense of humor. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I think the most irritating, is watching someone scoop the ball from the bottom of the cup with the toe of their putter.
This is more irritating than, having someone yell "Fore" after you get hit by their ball.
Smoking? Butts belong in the ashtray. Thanks to everyone that asks if I mind. Alcohol? Just don't drink and drive the golf cart.
Cheers

I think the most irritating, is watching someone scoop the ball from the bottom of the cup with the toe of their putter.
This is more irritating than, having someone yell "Fore" after you get hit by their ball.
Smoking? Butts belong in the ashtray. Thanks to everyone that asks if I mind. Alcohol? Just don't drink and drive the golf cart.
Cheers
I forget about this one because you don't see it very much. But yes, this drives me crazy.

Cheers

I forget about this one because you don't see it very much. But yes, this drives me crazy.

I've never seen this one, so I've never thought about it. Could someone explain the issue to me? Is it because the putter tears up the lip of the hole, maybe?

I've never seen this one, so I've never thought about it. Could someone explain the issue to me? Is it because the putter tears up the lip of the hole, maybe?

Yep, exactly. Tears up the hole.

Slow play ! We always walk as no one uses carts at my course and we usually take 3 hr 30 mins to play 18 holes (6600 yards). The other day we had to tee off midway through the day instead of our normal 8am tee time and it took 4hr 45mins :banghead:

Slow play ! We always walk as no one uses carts at my course and we usually take 3 hr 30 mins to play 18 holes (6600 yards). The other day we had to tee off midway through the day instead of our normal 8am tee time and it took 4hr 45mins :banghead:

Rounds tend to take longer at most places (that I play) the later you get into the day.

Yeah same on our course but I still don't get why any round needs to take longer than 4 hrs ! Cannot believe how many guys take 5 practice swings and then hit a horrible chunk and then take another 5 practice swings - someone needs to tell him there is no point taking 5 horrible practice swings :confused2:

Cheers

Just out of curiosity, what about the putter scoop bothers you so much?

Hi, when some one does that, the shaft or the putter head deforms the edge of the cup, as they are pulling the ball out of the hole. Rolls the edge, or creates an indentation that may affect the ball rolling into the hole.
Just bend over and use your hand to retrieve your ball.
cheers.

Cheers

Yep, exactly. Tears up the hole.

Just out of curiosity, what about the putter scoop bothers you so much?

Hi, when some one does that, the shaft or the putter head deforms the edge of the cup, as they are pulling the ball out of the hole. Rolls the edge, or creates an indentation that may affect the ball rolling into the hole.
Just bend over and use your hand to retrieve your ball.
cheers.

In short, it's lazy and destructive.
A guy I was playing with today did this on the ninth hole. I saw him start to do it, and I told him to stop! He said what, and I said that you don't take the ball out with the putter! He asked me why and I said that it tears up the edges of the hole.

He says he never touched the edges. I said it was because I stopped him and to pick it out with his hand.

This guy is our Sunday starter. Uggh.

My biggest peeves are like already said the brutal golfers who take 5 practice swings every time and then proceed to chunk one or hit it straight into the bush everytime and then take 5 mins to look for it only to not find it and do the exact same routine again, and also people who dont fix their ball marks and drag their feet on the greens, almost got in a fight with a guy this year that was playing in front of us, he never fixed his marks all round and drug his feet on every green as well as ran on a bunch of the greens. When i told him about he got real defensive and asked what i was gonna do about it, i told him you see how far I drive a golf ball imagine how hard i could hit you...... End of argument lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm gonna hop on the slow play bandwagon. My tee time was around 1pm today and I was pretty much the last guy to arrive, so I took my time. I would constantly check if another group began to tee up since I didn't want to hold anyone up, but I was the last one on. Anyway, I caught up to these two people around the 9th hole who obviously snuck in a few extra holes since I was originally behind a father/son duo for most of the front nine. I had made the turn on to the 11th hole and they were half way down the hole looking for their balls. I had a good 10 minute wait before they finally hopped in their cart (I was a walker). On the 17th hole I waited till they cleared off and went for my drive and caught up with them again and waited for them to clear the green. I eventually shanked a short wedge short and lost my ball in a cluster of trees. There are two holes on the green course that are very close to the black course, so after I holed out of the 17th, I decided to hop on the black and tee off. Lost a junk ball and proceeded to the 18th hole. This was a good deal of time wasted. I went through the underpass to the 18th hole and those two people were just leaving the tee box.

Repair your ballmarks people. Respect for the course is a pillar in respect for the game.
There were courses I played growing up in the 80's where you would get asked to leave (and banned) if course rules were not followed.

My biggest peeve is people not repairing divots on the fairways, Played a competition one saturday and was punished for hitting 2 drives down the middle of the fairway, 1 the ball was barely visible above ground.

I love fall golf in the Northeast. It's beautiful and since the weather is a lot cooler, there seems to be less people out playing. But all weekend, two things drove me nuts: extra long rough (can't mow as often with the damp ground) and TONS of leaves on the ground making it virtually impossible to find golf balls off the fairway. And the leaves on the greens aren't much fun either.

I love fall golf in the Northeast. It's beautiful and since the weather is a lot cooler, there seems to be less people out playing. But all weekend, two things drove me nuts: extra long rough (can't mow as often with the damp ground) and TONS of leaves on the ground making it virtually impossible to find golf balls off the fairway. And the leaves on the greens aren't much fun either.

Nailed it! By far my favorite time to play is right now. It's when my home course, LeRoy is in it's best shape, but you're absolutely right. I don't really mind the longer rough, forces you to be accurate but the leaves on the green and making it harder and harder to find balls really kinda sucks.

Slow play. Dude was like Sergio with the waggles. He was a good golfer, but man was he slow. Gave me more time to drink thought, so I guess I can't complain too bad.

Back