Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

I see this putter, and can believe it might be effective, but I keep coming back in my head to Jules in Pulp Fiction, and his sewer rat/pumpkin pie quote...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

Nice write up Jman

It's an interesting take on a similarly proven design. I'm not a mallet guy but I'll roll one when I get a chance.

Jman does the back square remove to be a ball marker?

I need to look down on one in person and roll it. I'm just not sure based off of the pictures. I do like the idea though and props to Cleveland for even acknowledging Odyssey.

I guess ripping off a competitor, saying yours is better, then saying innovation is seeing what others don't or whatever seemed a little off puting to me.

Genuine question. Do you have the same issue with the MD2 wedges?
The ones that they finally put the Cleveland name on and are extremely similar to the original 588?

I do plan to give this one a try, I still roll my Cleveland VP Milled occasionally. They do make solid offerings in the putter department for sure. Interesting look and very interesting innovation IMO.

We're all so used to lining up circles, this is different from what's become a standard. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but my first reactions that it's like trying to speak another language.

Guessing this will take time to get used to. Looking forward to the review.

Great Job Jman! Im not one to throw stones at any company who is trying to deliver a product. I think it's ethical that they have stated their position with regards to the two ball. People will say what they want. I'm not a huge fan of either of them personally. And I've never really liked the different inserts any of the manufacturers are using. As you've stated the sound is an important part to the feel.

I like that they have a CS model. I got rid of my CS White Hot 2-ball and have regretted it ever since. Those things are impossible to find in LH.

I thought the retort from Odyssey was quite petty, as well. Cleveland game them some props on a design that works, and thinks they have improved upon that design.

Especially when Cleveland could pull a wedge count and do the same. Just seemed like one of those cans of worms you probably shouldn't open

Exactly my thoughts, I'm there with you two completely. IMO, they played right into Cleveland's marketing here, they got huffy and drew more attention to it IMO.

Nice write up Jman

It's an interesting take on a similarly proven design. I'm not a mallet guy but I'll roll one when I get a chance.

Jman does the back square remove to be a ball marker?

Thanks dude. Nope, the ball marker pictured earlier is separate.

We're all so used to lining up circles, this is different from what's become a standard. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but my first reactions that it's like trying to speak another language.

Guessing this will take time to get used to. Looking forward to the review.

Is it that different though? Think about the putters with multiple alignment lines, heck my favorite of all time has 2 lines int he cavity that essentially frame the ball like a square, I guess to me round just isn't standard, more use lines than dots today.

Great Job Jman! Im not one to throw stones at any company who is trying to deliver a product. I think it's ethical that they have stated their position with regards to the two ball. People will say what they want. I'm not a huge fan of either of them personally. And I've never really liked the different inserts any of the manufacturers are using. As you've stated the sound is an important part to the feel.

BOOM! hahahaha :alien:

Looks like the recycled the Never Compromise Sub-30 Type 50.

As I mentioned in my initial thoughts, I agree with this a good bit. I will say though, its smaller than the Type 50 was to my eye. As far as actual head design it took more from that head than the 2-ball to me.

Many companies keep their models the same and just upgrade certain features.

I mean, how many different Odyssey #7s are there out there? I can think of at least 10.

To me, its like they took the Type 50, copied the 2-Ball's alignment aids and made them squares instead of circles so that they can call it, "new" and not seem quite so obvious that they are copying exisiting designs. Im not impressed.

Excellent write up, James. I really appreciate the candor.

I can see the benefit to the squares over the circles. You now have three straight edges (putter face and two squares) to make sure you are set up to the line properly. You're still able to employ the "three ball" concept with the squares, but this method (in theory) gives you a chance at better alignment.

I'd be willing to give it a try.

Anytime there is a polarizing subject on equipment, it makes me think of forum testing.
Might be a good idea here. Let me see what we can do.

I will gladly roll one of the center shafted models once they are available in stores, but for right now, I'm not convinced. If they are not infringing on any patents, I don't care if the concepts have been used before, particularly since the 2-ball is a good concept that has lasted quite a while.

I actually don't mind the look at address in the subsequent pics Jman posted. I think the squares may help with alignment, but for me it would come down to sound/feel off the face and the weighting.

As for the marketing, I don't think they could release this design without mentioning the two-ball. If anything, it certainly creates some buzz around the Cleveland name.

Anytime there is a polarizing subject on equipment, it makes me think of forum testing.

Get outta here.

And when you do get outta here, ask for a 39" almost belly please.

And thank you.

To me, its like they took the Type 50, copied the 2-Ball's alignment aids and made them squares instead of circles so that they can call it, "new" and not seem quite so obvious that they are copying exisiting designs. Im not impressed.

I think they've been pretty forthcoming about what they're doing, especially compared to pretty much everyone else out there but thats just me.

Its funny how some would NEVER get criticized for doing this type of thing even if they didn't at all acknowledge the roots of the idea, like CLeveland has clearly acknowledged.

Yes. Pure, yes.

Get outta here.

And when you do get outta here, ask for a 39" almost belly please.

And thank you.

In center-shaft.

I think people would quite enjoy it. Not many people every gave the Almost Belly style Cleveland putters much of a look, but they freaking work.

I think people would quite enjoy it. Not many people every gave the Almost Belly style Cleveland putters much of a look, but they freaking work.

Agreed, and from my 4 rounds with this one, people would be surprised. I really believe that.

The insert will be hit or miss for everyone as ALL inserts are, but the design/concept of the squares, hate it or love it, it works.

Would be interesting to have a tester who seems to like the look and one that doesn't. See if it grows on them or not.

Would be interesting to have a tester who seems to like the look and one that doesn't. See if it grows on them or not.

I am all for that. I am interested to go back and read all the comments from Jman after work tonight.

Intrested to hear about the roll on long putts vs mid range putts. High or low misses, etc.

If it works, it works. Period. Very rarely are improvements in today's market truly revolutionary. Everything is some iteration, another evolutionary step. This might be one of them. I say good for Cleveland for being willing to take the step.

I'm sure Callaway/Odyssey is kicking themselves because there is a prototype, somewhere, dusty in a corner, with square top designs.

...I'm just sad that my THP cover doesn't fit on it!

Back