How do you define "high handicapper"?

chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
When I read reviews for various golf clubs, they say "designed for high handicappers" or "best suited for low handicappers", etc.

However I've never really understood what this line is. At what point do you go from a high to low handicap? Does "low" mean single digits? I was a 20 when I started playing golf 3 years ago and now hover around 14. Am I a high handicapper or somewhere in between?

When I read reviews for various golf clubs, they say "designed for high handicappers" or "best suited for low handicappers", etc.

However I've never really understood what this line is. At what point do you go from a high to low handicap? Does "low" mean single digits? I was a 20 when I started playing golf 3 years ago and now hover around 14. Am I a high handicapper or somewhere in between?

IMO since the USGA says 36 is the max you can be, Id say a high handicapper is 18+ IMO

I think low handicapper is less than 10, mid is 11-19 and high is 20+

Whatever my current index is is "high" :)

I tend to think single digits is low, 10 to low 20's as mid and above that as high.

My thought is, a high handicapper is someone who plays over bogey golf(so a handicap of 18+)

I wonder if this shifts like "what is considered old age" does? I've always looked at low being under 6, mid being 6-13/14, and high being 14/15+. Does the lower a persons handicap is affect what they consider high?

I class myself as a high handicapper (15) due to the fact my club has 4 category's.

Cat 1 is 0 to 5
Cat 2 is 6 to 12
Cat 3 is 13 to 20
Cat 4 is 21 to 36

But we have a max handicap of 28 in our competitions..

I'm probably more general than most people, as I think 15 and lower are considered low while 15+ are high, meaning if a golf club is advertising for low or high handis, 15 is the dividing line as far as I'm concerned.

If I ever reach a 15, I'll have to reconsider.

I wonder if this shifts like "what is considered old age" does? I've always looked at low being under 6, mid being 6-13/14, and high being 14/15+. Does the lower a persons handicap is affect what they consider high?

I am sure it does.

I am the definition of a high handicapper. Hopefully this time next year I won't be.

I don't really know if there is a true answer but I could be wrong. I think its matter of guestimating with no fine line drawn. Too much variation in one persons scoring to place a fine line on it imo. I think of it all in terms of scores because very many people don't actually maintain handicap at all.

low handicapper as single digits or one who shoots mostly 70,s but bounces to low 80's. Mid capper mostly in the 80's and to low90ish. High capper anyone above that. The problem is that the higher you place probably means the more variation in scoring. Such as possibly an 89 one day but just as possible a 104 the next. I shoot mostly in the 90's but can do as I just mentioned. I don't maintain a handicap but I say that I am a high capper. Some may call that mid or mid/high. I don't really know.

Hmm....

Scratch to 12 = low
12 to 18 = mid
18-36 = high

Then there's always the "10 HCP" who uses questionable scoring methods but actually plays closer to a 20. Hate those guys.

For simplicity's sake, I'd say single digits are low, 10-19 is mid, 20+ is high. If someone is below 4 I tend to call them "near scratch" - that area deserves more recognition that simply "low handicap" in my opinion, because it is nothing more than a distant dream to me right now.

Then there's always the "10 HCP" who uses questionable scoring methods but actually plays closer to a 20. Hate those guys.

Sorry Bro

For simplicity's sake, I'd say single digits are low, 10-19 is mid, 20+ is high. If someone is below 4 I tend to call them "near scratch" - that area deserves more recognition that simply "low handicap" in my opinion, because it is nothing more than a distant dream to me right now.

I call those under 4, teammates when I can lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

I generally would group them about the same as that, although I would consider one more tier

0-4 = Near Scratch or Low Single Digits
5-9 = Single digits
10-19= Mid Handicap
20 = High Handicap

I would say that anything over 20 would be considered high.

I would lean towards the same as most of you, anything over 20 is "high".

High is >18
Mid would be 10-18
Single digit 5-9
Low < 5

I say anything over bogey golf, 18+ is high.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. It definitely is relative in one's own mind though because the lower you get the lower "high" get's as well.

LOL I play with a guy like this from time to time.

i'll go with the group, over bogey golf is high

Back