Best Inexpensive (Cheap) Golf Attire?

Golf Smith's own brand - SnakeEyes - is okay. The pants run crazy big, but are usually are pretty decent in terms of quality. I haven't owned a shirt, but they appear to be decent. I realize it isn't what you are asking, but part of the reason I don't buy much of the SnakeEye (or other lower end brands) is because I can almost always find some other more name brand item on sale for equal or better price. One somewhat under the radar category of pants that is pretty easy to find on sale is Greg Norman...I have a couple of pairs of those slacks and like them.

+1 on the Greg Norman clothes. Usually can be had at Macy's with a 20% purchase coupon. Or usually your gf/wife/sidepiece has a Macy's card, and you can get them to pick you up a few things. The fit is great, especially for taller guys. The inseam is also a little larger, so it doesn't feel like it's riding up your buttcrack, like you were born an Abrocombe model. I've had the shorts and shirts for about a year now, and they've held up like week one.

Marshalls/TJMaxx are pretty good for golf stuff as well.
True, but it's so hit or miss. But I did score a pair of golf rain paints for like $13 dollars that were originally $39. Only problem is I live in San Diego and never have a use for them... lol.

I buy the Grand Slam brand at Kohl's quite a bit. Always less than $30 and usually right around $20.

I've used the Grand Slam shirts & like them a lot. I only buy them on sale/clearance so I'm paying around $10-12 per shirt.

I also go to the local thrift shop - I'm amazed at how often I can find mint or brand new shorts or shirts for $4-6. I really like the izod golf shorts - found 2 brand-new pairs their for $5 each.

PGA Tour brand is cheaper than the big names and I love the shirts and the 1/4 zips.

I've got a bunch of AHead shirts as giveaways at tournaments and they've held up well. Good fabric and fit and comfortable to wear. I can't say I've ever seen them at retail, but since they are logo freebies, I'd assume they are fairly cheap if you can find them.

Second Izod pants and shorts. Inexpensive and very comfortable.

Hagger pants and shorts are a very good value as well.

Slazenger shirts is a very good house brand. Cheap, holds up well and good styling.

Another + for PGA Tour and Grand Slam. Great quality and durability. Also Bollé stuff from Stein Mart is excellent quality and quite stylish.

For some reason Amazon .. Beautiful clothes from who knows where , but nice prices . Next year , I'm gonna look like a million bucks on the links

Agreed on the Izod pants and the Ben Hogan stuff is really pretty nice. One that really flies under the radar is Russell Athletics. There golf shirts are awesome but kinda tough to find.

The PGA tour shirts at JCPenney and other places are quite good. The Fila shorts that I find at Kohl's are very nice with little pockets for tees on the outside seam.

There used to be golf shirts at Walmart that were actually pretty good. George brand I think it was

I've bought multiple pairs of Ben Hogan golf slacks & shirts from Wal-Mart online.

I also like the pebble beach brand

There used to be golf shirts at Walmart that were actually pretty good. George brand I think it was

That's right. I bought several of those on Clearance a month or so ago. And the Russell Athletic. Mostly went with the Ben Hogan's. I like the Hogan shorts, too.

Having previously worked at Target, I was able to get a discount and score quite a good number of C9 products. Shoes, socks, as well as golf shirts. The newer ones with the "breathable" fabric have never given me any problems, and are great for round in the humidity that is Indiana summers. Haven't tried any of their golf pants/shorts but have great experiences with quite a number of the rest of their line.

Ben Hogan shirts and shorts from Walmart are awesome, and super cheap.

Low price does usually mean some degree of diminished quality in my experience. With the exception of a few Walmart polos that I'll use for work, I stick to the brands I trust. That does not, however, mean that I don't get great deals. There are definitely ways to do this. Shopping clearance sales is always a good bet. Some of the one-day sale sites have great deals on name brand stuff (Puma, Adidas, Ashworth shirts for $20, shorts for $25, etc). We're lucky enough to have a golf outlet store in my town where we get good deals. The bay is always a good source. Like JB said as well, Fairway Styles is fantastic. I pretty much never pay full price for golf apparel, but I've ordered many times from Fairway Styles (which I didn't know existed in my pre-THP life) and now it's become one of my main go-to sources for golf stuff for both myself and my son. Check them out and if you don't find the deal/size you need the first time, don't give up. They are always having great sales and once you order from them, they continue to entice you with additional discounts.

Edit: After reading a few more posts, I realized maybe I didn't answer your question exactly. Bottom line: I've dealt with some of the lower priced brands like Hogan, Tommy Armour, Walter Hagen, etc. They are all OK in my experience. Not great, but not horrible. My thing is, if you can find higher end brands for similar prices, that just makes more sense to me. So my personal choice, especially with growing kids that play, is to bargain hunt, but stick to the top brands that I trust. I spend the same in the end as I would going for the cheaper brands. Admittedly, the shopping process is a little more involved this way, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Agreed that you get what you pay for.

TJMaxx and Marshalls and look for other deals online.

The PGA tour shirts at JCPenney and other places are quite good.
I agree with this. JC Penney has surprisingly decent golf attire at very reasonable prices. They carry a second brand in addition to the PGA line called St Andrews, which is pretty nice.

Have you discovered any quality gear, or brands - whether shirts, pants, outerwear, shoes, etc. - that are inexpensive compared to the big boys but nearly as good?

Golfsmith and Khol's right before and during winter. I get shirts and shorts from name and off brand for as low as $.99. Ended up with some PING shorts last winter from Golfsmith for $5 a pair. I just stock up in the winter and wear in the summer. Still have Addidas shirts with tags from last year I found on the rack at Kohl's for $4 each (pink and purple but I wear those colors).

I'll add that Izod polos are pretty good and their prices aren't bad either. I love the ones I have and if their pants and shorts are better than the shirts, they must be awesome. I'll have to look into them.

Same thing goes for Ben Hogan at Walmart. Not bad quality at a competitive price.

I hope I don't gain a lot of weight over the winter. I have been between 155-165 the last few months after dropping 25 pounds over the summer. So I bought all new shirts and shorts for golf. Went from a 34 to 32 waist and from medium and large shirts to small and medium shirts. I still have my size 34 shorts but got rid of most of my too big shirts.

That's why I went crazy on buying clearance clothing this year.

Definitely check out Kohls Grand Slam brand - and for shorts they carry Chaps Ralph Lauren which aren't too expensive.

Also check out the PGA Tour line.

I have a tone of IZOD pants and get them cheap at the outlet. I love them

Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, etc... always have nice shirts and shorts from makers like Izod, Callaway, PGA Tour, Greg Norman, Nike, Adidas and more. You can also get some great deals on the clearance rack at Golfsmith, certainly not on an average day, but when they do make drastic markdowns for a short period.

Back